Florida: Homeowner Shoots At Teen Burglar Caught In Act

This is a discussion on Florida: Homeowner Shoots At Teen Burglar Caught In Act within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Warning shot, eh? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- APR 12 Deland, Florida Homeowner Shoots At Teen Burglar Caught In Act A DeLand homeowner opened fire on a teenager he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Warning shot, eh?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    APR 12
    Deland, Florida

Homeowner Shoots At Teen Burglar Caught In Act

A DeLand homeowner opened fire on a teenager he saw breaking into his house on East New Street (see map) Monday.
    The bullet didnít hit the teen, but the homeowner still helped police make an arrest; the homeowner held down the suspect until the police got there.

Daven Woulard was coming home from the store and, from the street, his wife who was with him in the car saw two legs sticking out of a window. Itís the window to their sonís bedroom.
    Woulard was not about to let anyone break into his home. He pulled into his driveway in a hurry, jumped out of the car and grabbed his .44-magnum handgun, which he has a permit to carry.

Woulard told the young boy to get out of the house and, when he didnít react right away, fired a shot into the ground. That made the 16-year-old move a little quicker. At that point, the teen did everything Woulard told him to do, holding still until the police got there.

Woulard said it was a one in a million chance to catch someone in the act like that, but itís exactly why he carries a gun.
    ďI work hard for the stuff that I have and I have a concealed weaponís permit to protect me and my family,Ē Woulard said.
    Police said they are still interviewing the 16-year-old boy they arrested. He may just be release to his parents, depending on the facts and if he has any criminal history. His name has not been released.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw this report on the news today. Kudos that he caught the BG. But, firing a warning shot could've landed him in jail for aggravated assault. Civil court can do weird things to the law especially if the family sued him in the event he shot and killed him.....which he could've I'm assuming because the kid was entering his house without permission. ( burglary in Florida is a forcible felony)Lets not get carried away on the law, what matters is the guy with the 44 mag restrained himself well and the kid wasn't killed and he didn't regret something later. Another positive outcome with a citizen conceal carrying.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Perfect timing for the homeowner though I'm surprised he's not in trouble for the warning shot. That seems to be frowned upon, for obvious reasons.

As far as the perp is concerned I'd bet a night or two in the local jail would help him realize there are better ways to make a living.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPIC SCUMBAG View Post

... firing a warning shot could've landed him in jail for aggravated assault. Civil court can do weird things to the law especially if the family sued him in the event he shot and killed him.....which he could've I'm assuming because the kid was entering his house without permission. ( burglary in Florida is a forcible felony)Lets not get carried away on the law, what matters is the guy with the 44 mag restrained himself well and the kid wasn't killed and he didn't regret something later. Another positive outcome with a citizen conceal carrying.
    I believe under the Florida Castle Doctrine the homeowner would be protected from any civil lawsuits if the shoot was a legal one.
    The warning shot is not a good idea though. Although I think it is a positive thing to do in some instances to avoid the taking of a life, many jurisdictions don't agree and will charge you for firing a weapon within the city limits.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I believe under the Florida Castle Doctrine the homeowner would be protected from any civil lawsuits if the shoot was a legal one.
    The warning shot is not a good idea though. Although I think it is a positive thing to do in some instances to avoid the taking of a life, many jurisdictions don't agree and will charge you for firing a weapon within the city limits.
    I believe the Castle doctrine protects you while you're in the home, car and business if you own one. He was driving home with his wife in the car and they spotted the perp with his legs dangling out of a window at the back of the house. ( he can see the back of his house from the road he was driving on) Thats why I said he could've gotten into trouble, certain variables could actually make you the BG! He could've faced the mandatory 3 years in jail for aggravated assault! Even if a judge didn't want to charge him he would have no choice because its Florida law.....sucks! Btw I read the Florida Firearms Use Law, Use and Ownership ( for those that reside in Florida of course ). Written by a pro gun lawyer and it's outstanding. Highly recommend to read.

He did not shot at the teen. He fired a warning shot into the ground. Big difference. I hate how the media and others sensationalize things that just did not happen.

"I tried to shoot him, but I didn't have my glasses on and I missed him"

Problem solved.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    He did not shot at the teen. He fired a warning shot into the ground. Big difference. I hate how the media and others sensationalize things that just did not happen.
    I believe it's not a good idea to fire a warning shot in Florida. I'm not an LEO but I don't think I would've done that.

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    "I tried to shoot him, but I didn't have my glasses on and I missed him"

Problem solved.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Warning shot, eh?
    Police said they are still interviewing the 16-year-old boy they arrested. He may just be release to his parents, depending on the facts and if he has any criminal history.
    and we wonder why there is a problem.......
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    and we wonder why there is a problem.......
    absolutely. they need to throw his tail in jail. punishments need to be more strict on young criminals.

A kid breaking into your house and climbing through a window at that moment, while you are outside, is not a situation at that moment that would cause a reasonable person to fear for his life/serious physical inury to him or another person.

"Castle Doctrine" may cover you in some states for taking a shot at such an offender, but IMHO it is better to not utilize deadly force unless you are in the situation above. You cover yourself much better then.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Police said they are still interviewing the 16-year-old boy they arrested. He may just be release to his parents, depending on the facts and if he has any criminal history. His name has not been released.
    I guess they'll just wait till he does something a little more serious before they put him in jail. Breaking and entering isn't all that bad...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

I guess they'll just wait till he does something a little more serious before they put him in jail. Breaking and entering isn't all that bad...

Yep, they will wait until the little predator commits an armed home invasion.

Maybe a baseball bat to the lower extremities?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links