Man Has Handgun Stolen From Vehicle, Faces Charges [update] gun found

This is a discussion on Man Has Handgun Stolen From Vehicle, Faces Charges [update] gun found within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Welcome to Canadian gun laws. Man whose handgun was stolen from car may face charges This is from my local paper....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man Has Handgun Stolen From Vehicle, Faces Charges [update] gun found

VIP Member

Thumbs down Man Has Handgun Stolen From Vehicle, Faces Charges [update] gun found

Welcome to Canadian gun laws.

Man whose handgun was stolen from car may face charges

This is from my local paper.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    From the article:

-start-
    A man whose handgun was stolen while improperly storing it in his truck could face criminal charges, Saanich police say.

The man had parked his pickup in the Silver City parking lot at Tillicum Centre Sunday at 7 p.m. When he returned to the truck after the movie at 10 p.m., he discovered it had been broken into and his 9-mm semi-automatic was gone, said police spokesman Sgt. John Price. Police believe the thief stole a black bag without knowing its contents. While the handgun was legally registered, Price said the owner could face criminal charges for storing and handling it improperly.
    -end-

Storing the gun in a bag was a pretty dumb move on the owners part. Get a safe/lockbox/locked dash compartment...something!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Man whose handgun was stolen from car may face charges

Times Colonist April 14, 2010

A man whose handgun was stolen while improperly storing it in his truck could face criminal charges, Saanich police say.

The man had parked his pickup in the Silver City parking lot at Tillicum Centre Sunday at 7 p.m. When he returned to the truck after the movie at 10 p.m., he discovered it had been broken into and his 9-mm semi-automatic was gone, said police spokesman Sgt. John Price. Police believe the thief stole a black bag without knowing its contents. While the handgun was legally registered, Price said the owner could face criminal charges for storing and handling it improperly.
    © Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Well, I'm not going to say it can't or won't happen here. You get a DA who is anti-gun and he'd likely look for any opportunity to charge someone.

That's why I use a car safe to store my pistols if I must leave it in the car. Also I keep all the magazines with me on my person. That way, if for some remote chance someone did steal my gun, at least they aren't walking away with "instant death" in their hands. They'd at least have to go to a gun shop and buy a magazine to fit the gun before they can use it.

I believe, I'd be able to show a DA that I went to extraordinary lengths to keep my gun safe and he'd be very hard pressed to make a case of negligence on my part!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Stored "improperly," eh?

Police can say what they like. It was locked up; and it was stolen by a criminal.

So, if a person has a robber enter the home and take the firearm from there, is a person going to be criminalized by police for "improper" keeping of a firearm? It's inside a locked area, clearly designed to keep criminals out. As with cars, it's not effective in the least, but it's locked and proper.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've got one of those mini safes bolted to the floor of my truck, and cabled to the seat frame. It won't stop a determined thief with some tools and some time, but it will prevent the quick smash-and-grab. Leaving a bag in plain sight is just asking for trouble, IMHO.

If they had stolen the whole car he'd still be in the same jam.

Bottom line, the problem is not that it was stored in a bag versus a car safe...The issue is that it was stored in the car period.

Sucks for him...I hope it was a good movie. : \

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Why didn't he just cc in the movie theater?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Why didn't he just cc in the movie theater?
    No CC in Canada, note my signature line.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    It makes me cringe every time I hear of people storing guns (or any valuable for that matter) in their cars. A car is not secure, and in no way compares to a home. Yes, a home isn't secure either, but look at the stats of theft from auto vs. burglary. The numbers don't lie.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    On the other hand...

Where I am at it's pretty common practice to keep a gun in the vehicle. Thats the way it's been since cars became to be.

We dont have the high crime rates that are common everywhere else, and its rare that a gun even gets stolen around here.

While lots of people freak out of the idea of a gun being kept in a vehicle, there are lots of people that dont.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I know of a few LEO's that had firearms stolen from Police Units parked at their homes,but it's not a problem,maybe a letter in their file etc.,but Canada is a whole nother ball game,he better hope nobody gets shot with his gun or I wouldn't put it past them to try to charge him with negligent homicide or sumpin since if he had secured his weapon properly nobody woulda stole it and shot anybody,It's Canada it doesn't have to make sense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    No CC in Canada, note my signature line.
    Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It makes me cringe every time I hear of people storing guns (or any valuable for that matter) in their cars. A car is not secure, and in no way compares to a home. Yes, a home isn't secure either, but look at the stats of theft from auto vs. burglary. The numbers don't lie.
    I hear ya, and agree 100%. I hate leaving my gun in my car, even if it's for 15 minutes or less. But when going places like the Post Office or other places where it's a crime to carry a gun, I've got no choice but to leave it in the car for that short period of time or leave it at home altogether if I want to abide by the law.

Which is why, I will take the magazines with me and will not leave them in the car with the gun. Like I said in my first post... If someone were to steal the gun or my car, at least they don't have the immediate capability of killing someone with my gun until they have at least acquired new magazines for it.

Again, I feel that at least shows, I went to extraordinary lengths to keep my gun secure and safe. (A) safer for the community at large and (B) makes it harder for a prosecutor to establish negligence on my part.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous laws that ban guns for lawful ccw holders in certain places like Post Office, Schools, etc. my gun would be on my person and in my direct control 100% of the time instead of forcing a law abiding citizen to leave it unattended in a vehicle for any given period of time. I hate that! It's the bane of my existence... But it is what it is.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

+1 Bark'N, +1!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If they had stolen the whole car he'd still be in the same jam.

Bottom line, the problem is not that it was stored in a bag versus a car safe...The issue is that it was stored in the car period.

Sucks for him...I hope it was a good movie. : \

- Janq
    Really, why is a car any different than a house? Both are just as easily broken into. A simple smashed window and you are in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links