Bad and odd- woman shot in face while driving

This is a discussion on Bad and odd- woman shot in face while driving within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Odds are this is a section of road I drive 2-4 times a day to, during, and from work. Not many details currently. There have ...

Thread: Bad and odd- woman shot in face while driving

Odds are this is a section of road I drive 2-4 times a day to, during, and from work. Not many details currently. There have been a few of these around here in years past. Usually someone being incredibly stupid. Anything comes up, I'll pass it on.

Woman shot in face while driving on I-40

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 12:10 PM
    Updated: Apr 17, 2010 12:38 PM

CONOVER, NC (WBTV) - A Greensboro woman is in the hospital after being hit in the face with a bullet on Interstate 40.

The incident happened just before 9 Friday night between mile markers 130 and 131.

On arrival, police say the victim, 54 year old Rhonda Parrish, had been hit in the face and neck area with an unknown object.

Parrish was transported to Catawba Valley Medical Center where an X-ray revealed she was actually hit by a bullet.

She's currently listed in stable condition.

Her son, Christopher Parrish, was also in the car with her at the time but was uninjured.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Conover Police Department at 828-464-4698.

Copyright 2010 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Woman shot in face while driving on I-40 - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

If the victim or the son did not have a weapon, then you either have someone playing with a weapon in another vehicle, or an actual shooter taking pot shots at moving vehicles. Either one is a bad thing! I pray that the victim will recover!

My in-laws live in Conover. This happened there about 20 years ago. Back then, some teenage kids were shooting at cars on the interstate just out of pure meanness.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    This could also be a stray from shooters back in the sticks not following "The 3rd Law of Gun Safety - Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It".
    A bullet came through my mobile home living room while I was in the back room. A cop figured by its path of travel that it was probably fired from a vehicle moving along a point on I-20 about a mile away because of the angle of entry and exit, and could not have come from anywhere close.
    A .22 LR can do this any day of the week.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Not much of an update. But more, what the media is capable of doing with a shooting when they are not set on making the gun out to be evil. Pretty level headed reporting and a blurb on gun safety. "know your target and what is beyond." WBTV is typically pretty middle of the road on firearms issues. Hopefully they get to the bottom of this. I travel that stretch a lot and would like to see it settled.

Woman speaks out after being shot while driving on I-40 - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My in-laws live in Conover. This happened there about 20 years ago. Back then, some teenage kids were shooting at cars on the interstate just out of pure meanness.
    Had a small-ish block of concrete lobbed onto my front hood, while on a busy, 6-lane (per side) highway, once. It came from ~150yds away in the residential area to my right. Took out the hood completely. Easily could have killed someone. The goal? To try to kill/injure someone. It either was a catapult/trebuchet, or someone exhausted the local supply of inch-thick surgical tubing.

Never did find the perps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

YEARS ago.... 15 + yrs.... a guy driving on a bypass ran off the road , crashed and was dead. They found he had been shot by a bullet. They never figured out where the bullet came from..... it was NOT from another vehicle and they speculated it was someone target shooting (country area to one side of the bypass) and went high / astray. It was a .22 cal bullet and was never resolved.

Links