Militia movement's heroes will be packing heat at rally on the Potomac

This is a discussion on Militia movement's heroes will be packing heat at rally on the Potomac within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just find it and post it. Daniel Almond, a three-tour veteran of Iraq, is ready to "muster outside D.C." on Monday with several dozen ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Militia movement's heroes will be packing heat at rally on the Potomac

Militia movement's heroes will be packing heat at rally on the Potomac

I just find it and post it.

Daniel Almond, a three-tour veteran of Iraq, is ready to "muster outside D.C." on Monday with several dozen other self-proclaimed patriots, all of them armed. They intend to make history as the first people to take their guns to a demonstration in a national park, and the Virginia rally is deliberately being held just a few miles from the Capitol and the White House.

washingtonpost.com

2. Remove Ads

Few miles...kinda closer to 10-15 miles if I remember right. At any rate it's 30-40 minutes outside of DC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. While I support the 2A (obviously) I can't condone their 'hero' who suggested throwing bricks through democrats windows. These are the people that bring bad publicity and give a bad image to gun owners.

For the sake of the people attending I hope it goes well.

VIP Member

re: LeChuck Agree with you, nothing but bad publicity

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    Few miles...kinda closer to 10-15 miles if I remember right. At any rate it's 30-40 minutes outside of DC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. While I support the 2A (obviously) I can't condone their 'hero' who suggested throwing bricks through democrats windows. These are the people that bring bad publicity and give a bad image to gun owners.

For the sake of the people attending I hope it goes well.
    From a quick Google search on this issue:

"Two types of statutes proscribe private militia activity. The first type prohibits paramilitary organization altogether, and the second proscribes paramilitary training.
    Although anti-paramilitary organization laws are an outright ban on the creation of private militia, anti-paramilitary training statutes require proof of intent to commit a proscribed act. [57]
    Seventeen states have currently adopted anti-paramilitary organization laws, [58] seventeen states
    have anti-paramilitary training statutes, [59] and seven states have adopted both anti-organization and
    anti-training statutes. [60] [Page 1607]"

VA appears to not have a law prohibiting creation of a militia, but it does outlaw training. I have no idea if there are National Park Regulations which in addition to their (prior) gun prohibition also regulate training.

"5.12 What kind of a reception are these groups likely to find from judges if they ever get to court?
    A. They may not find the courts very friendly. Put bluntly, unauthorized self-selected paramilitary organizations are considered by the courts to be a danger to American democracy
    and the Constitution."

I'm not sure, this doesn't really seem to be a militia group as much as a bunch of PO'd citizens. They've just chosen a few people (or maybe those people are simply attending, and the media took it and blew it out of proportion) that I personally think are detrimental to any point they're trying to make.

In theory I support Militia's but most that I see are outwardly racist and violent. Despite being close enough to attend this event, I will not be going for the reasons I stated above. I do not condone taking violent actions against our politicians for passing a health care bill. I certainly don't condone it, but there are better ways to voice your opinion.

I also wasn't aware that Gravelly Point was a national park, I've always thought of it as simply a place with a boat ramp.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    It's not 10-15 miles away. Gravelly Point stands on the edge of the Potomac River, at the north end of Reagan National Airport (DCA). If you step into the river (approx a half mile wide at that point), you are technically IN Washington, D.C.

I won't be hasty in condemning some of the participants as "too violent." That would be as foolish as thinking the current problems will get solved with the next vote.

Pray tell, what kind of incentive is it exactly to be voted out of office these days? Do tell me the horror stories of the scores of disgraced Congressmen and Senators who were brought to their knees through the humiliating power of being voted out.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Well all the way down by Mount Vernon is technically Washington D.C waters. Though I am factoring in having to drive there, and not as the crow flies. Maybe it isn't all that far.

We have citizens who firmly support the rule of law, including the Constitution and Bill of Rights, who wish to peacefully assemble to protest against a bunch of political crap-weasels who's heroes include avowed communists who regret not bombing more of our country. Which side are you on?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I'm all for the peaceful solution, which is voicing your opinion and voting, however, it is pretty obvious that the track record for that is going down hill, and people are fed up with it.

If I recall correctly, America in order to start, and preserve it's core values, has stood up and fought many times throughout its history.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

VIP Member
    In NoVA traffic 30-40 minutes equates to about a mile!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

re:Obxned

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    We have citizens who firmly support the rule of law, including the Constitution and Bill of Rights, who wish to peacefully assemble to protest against a bunch of political crap-weasels who's heroes include avowed communists who regret not bombing more of our country. Which side are you on?
    Not sure your comment was aimed in my direction or not.

"Which side are you on?"

I'm on the side of our government and all laws which have been passed by voter elected representatives, signed by voter elected governors or presidents, which have not struck been struck down by the courts. In other words, I'm where all patriotic citizens should be.

To take any other position is to hoist the flag of anarchy, chaos, unlawfulness, and will become the path to our collective destruction.

There is a difference between peaceful and lawful protest or demonstration and the sort of in your face tactics many here seem to espouse. These make the vast majority of gun owners and permit holders look very very bad and are counter productive.

You wrote: "crap-weasels who's heroes ... regret not bombing more of our country. "

Who exactly does this describe?

It sure sounds like Tim McVeigh and his ilk, his supporters, and fellow travelers and not who you have in mind.

No good will come out of any of this. As a gun ownership community, it is time that we seperate ourselves from the overzealous radicals who claim to be patriots and use their twisted and ignorant views of history to make us all look like idiots to Americans who are on the fence concerning gun related issues.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Gun related issues are one thing. Constantly watching the constitution trampled on by a bunch of self-serving, immoral, hypocritical, egotistical morons is quite another. Our government continues to grow like an uncontrollable cancer while our elitist representatives throw our tax dollars around with no apparent concern for those who struggle to make ends meet. It is all too obvious that the democratic system of checks and balances has failed miserably due to the criminals that disgrace the hallowed halls of our nations buildings in the guise of public servants. There is no longer a choice between two political parties espousing opposing political ideology, rather a gaggle of bureaucratic whores who live like parasites on the backs of working stiffs and garner votes by promising wealth to those too lazy to join the legions of rank and file. To perpetuate these conscienceless creatures and allow them to prosper and grow rich while the backbone of our nation is slowly and inexorably broken is a slap in the face to those who history remembers as true and honorable men.

The constitution doesn't just give us the right to protest, it commands us to alter and abolish the malignant growth that has invaded our sacred republic. It is our duty as citizens so help us God.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    In NoVA traffic 30-40 minutes equates to about a mile!
    Haha...+1...depending on the time of day and location it could be less than half-mile...sad but true...

As to the distance comments from others, it's been well researched before. DC's border runs all the way up to the high-tide water mark on the VA side of the river. So even if you're standing on dry ground in what you think is VA, if it's low tide you may very well be technically in DC and can be prosecuted for illegal carry in DC if caught.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

re: Gun Geezer-horrifically misguided and wrong

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    The constitution doesn't just give us the right to protest, it commands us to alter and abolish the malignant growth that has invaded our sacred republic. It is our duty as citizens so help us God.
    Wrong. Our constitution does not command us to do what you are afraid to actually say in words--- and so you dance around the notion of rebellion with the use of a grandiose metaphor full of cryptic meaning: "abolish malignant growth that has invaded our sacred republic," and by so stating, you hope to incite others to do the illegal things you yourself won't do. And should not do, and must not do!

You are no patriot sir.

It is our duty to uphold our constitution by obeying the law, by voting, and by serving on juries. It is our individual option to do our one three hundred millionths of the chore of running this country by going to school, going to work, and if we so choose, running for elective office.

There is no right to rebellion, anymore than there is a right to murder. Think about that.

glockman10mm said this well: "As a gun ownership community, it is time that we seperate ourselves from the overzealous radicals who claim to be patriots and use their twisted and ignorant views of history to make us all look like idiots"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I am running for Congress. I will do whatever I can to secure my own gold mine by making sweetheart deals, cheating on my taxes, voting for bills that violate your Constitutional rights, spending your tax dollars by jetting my family around the country, manipulating the system's rules to keep friends wealthy and powerful, and basically running this nation and it's future into the ground.

And if this displeases you, you're going to do what again? Vote me out of office? After which I'll secure a six-figure "consulting" job?

Yeah, I see how the "rule of law" would strike terror into the hearts of the wicked.

Vote for me!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links