13 Year-Old Student Suspended After "Finger-Gun" Incident

This is a discussion on 13 Year-Old Student Suspended After "Finger-Gun" Incident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cy-Fair ISD middle school student suspended for pointing finger gun at teacher - 4/18/10 - Houston News - abc13.com HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 13-year-old girl ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 13 Year-Old Student Suspended After "Finger-Gun" Incident

13 Year-Old Student Suspended After "Finger-Gun" Incident

Cy-Fair ISD middle school student suspended for pointing finger gun at teacher - 4/18/10 - Houston News - abc13.com

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 13-year-old girl was suspended from school after she was accused of threatening her teacher. Her family says it's a misunderstanding under a zero tolerance policy.

Bleyl Middle School student Taylor Trostle and her parents say it's a classroom game that got her kicked out of school, and now has her labeled as a "terrorist."

"I was shocked because it just seems ludicrous and appalling," Bleyl Middle School student Taylor Trostle's mother, Kristin Trostle, said.

When Kristin Trostle and her fiancee got a phone call from the principal's office at her daughter's school, they knew something was wrong. But the story they got blew them away.

"I mean, terroristic threat, to me that's a serious statement," Kristin Trostle said. "That's one of the most serious things you could say to somebody."

Taylor was wearing an NYPD shirt at school. She says in the last moments of math class, she and some friends were pretending to be police officers.

"I was shooting the markers at the front of the board," Taylor Trostle said. "It was just like this and I was like 'pow pow' and then she just turned around."

Taylor was sent to the principal's office and immediately suspended for three days. Her write up says the finger gun was pointed in the teacher's direction.

"That was considered a terroristic threat because the teacher feared for her life," Kristin Trostle said.

According to Cy-Fair ISD's code of conduct, a terroristic threat is a level four violation, which is on par with assault, public lewdness, or selling alcohol or drugs at school. Any threat to a teacher falls under a 'zero tolerance policy.'

"Now she's got a very serious mark on her record and she's labeled," Kristin Trostle said.

Cy-Fair ISD denied our repeated requests for comment, so did Taylor Trostle's 7th grade math teacher. Now- Taylor Trostle says she's being mocked at school, for a silly game that got her kicked out.

"They all say that I'm gonna kill somebody, and...they know that I wouldn't do that," she said.

Her mother wants the school district to take a hard look at policies because she believes can tarnish the reputation of an honor roll student like Taylor.

"Really and truly make an honest decision -- is this a legitimate threat, do i really feel threatened by what this child just said?" Kristin Trostle said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I suppose someday everything will be a threat and we will need permission to speak or look at other people.

This just happened to some other poor kid not too long ago. This is just ridiculous.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

kids need to learn to keep their fingers holstered

Seek conflict and ye shall find it.

I wouldn't call her a terrorist but she definitely violated rules 1 and 2 of the 4 rules of finger safety.

I wonder what she would of gotten if she made one of those paper guns and pointed it at the "direction" of the teacher.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I can't believe this.

I randomly came across my 4th grade year book while unpacking boxes from moving this last week. I thumbed through it, and threw it on the chair next to me face down. I noticed a drawing that took up the whole back cover. The picture had a guy on top of the school shooting someone down below. There was also a bitchin Apache helicopter hovering over the school...

I turned out ok, and I drew pictures of people being shot from the roof of the school. Clearly, this was a top secret anti-terrorist strike team. The guy that was confirmed dead must have had a WMD in his backpack, which led to the task force eliminating him. An Apache cruising overhead to provide cover... This was clearly a military action...

I remember writing a poem in 7th or 8th grade in an English class about the Columbine shootings. It wasn't graphic, but also didn't dance around the issue, and the message was a positive one. Like a, 'don't let this get you down' type of theme. Needless to say, I got sent to the principal's office. Lame. They never said, "write about anything you want, except the Columbine shooting".
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

VIP Member
    Bet the kid would have gotten less punishment if she used a different finger with a different gesture.

We've got something pretty mixed up here.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    While attending discipline hearings in the district where I live it is not as cut and dry as it sounds. Often the kids are so hostile and angry they are simply substituting the gun they don't have at the moment and using a finger. A lot of these kids are so messed up and so angry that you have to read into their actions carefully otherwise you may get very hurt.

Where has all the commonsense gone?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Common sense is an historical reference to an outdated, outmoded form of rational thinking replaced by the term "omygod".

Just when you think you've heard the stupidest thing ever public school administrations will surprise you with something new.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    While attending discipline hearings in the district where I live it is not as cut and dry as it sounds. Often the kids are so hostile and angry they are simply substituting the gun they don't have at the moment and using a finger. A lot of these kids are so messed up and so angry that you have to read into their actions carefully otherwise you may get very hurt.
    But we get these ridiculous zero tolerance policies so we can treat the real threats that you mention the same as the perceived threats that it sounds like the article mentioned. That's insane! So public schools are teaching our kids that you treat someone who is actually threatening someone the same as someone who is goofing off. And we wonder why our kids can't reason through situations.

FWIW, I worked with those kids when the school could no longer handle them. The kid that assaulted me as a teen is now doing well and I keep in contact with him. But these zero tolerance policies just throw some of these kids headlong into a tailspin. Where it used to be that you could make decisions based on the student and the incident to do what was best for the kid, not what is easiest for the administration!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'll bet there's more to this story than what's in print. At least, I hope there is......

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links