HPD: Security guard shoots man trying to seize bus

This is a discussion on HPD: Security guard shoots man trying to seize bus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HPD: Security guard shoots man trying to seize bus BY MIKE GLENN HOUSTON CHRONICLE April 20, 2010, 10:48PM A security guard shot a man Tuesday ...

Thread: HPD: Security guard shoots man trying to seize bus

BY MIKE GLENN HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    April 20, 2010, 10:48PM

A security guard shot a man Tuesday evening who stole a car, crashed it into four other vehicles, then tried to commandeer a Metro bus in southeast Houston, officials said.

The man appeared to be under the influence of powerful drugs, such as PCP, when he careened into several cars shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near Airport, Houston police said.

The wrecked vehicles were scattered along the median as Houston police tried to piece together the details of the incident.

“This is not something that we usually see,” said Sgt. Robert Torres with HPD's homicide division.

Before he tried to take the Metro bus, police said the man — believed to be about 37 — wielded a large stick when he stole a car from a home in the 5200 block of Fairgreen — about a mile away.

The stolen car was disabled after it collided with the other vehicles near the intersection. He then ran toward a Metro bus that was turning onto Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Torres said the man began assaulting the driver.

Waiting in a car at the light behind the Metro bus was a private security guard with a license to carry a concealed weapon. He quickly intervened in the struggle, police said.

The guard pulled the man away from the driver, Torres said.

The security guard dragged the man off the bus and the two began struggling.

Jeanette Jones looked outside her home when she heard the commotion.

It appeared to her that the security guard, who has not been identified, was trying to bring the incident to a peaceful conclusion.

“He was telling him, ‘I don't want to fight you.' He was defending himself,” Jones said.

“The next thing I know, I heard a gunshot and ran inside,” she said.

Police said the security guard fired when the man tried to grab the pistol.

“It appears to be a ... justifiable shooting,” Torres said.

The man was hit in the upper abdominal area then staggered toward the stolen car, which was on fire, and climbed inside.

“He was still there when police and paramedics got there,” Torres said.

The man was taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening wounds.

The bus driver and three people who were in the wrecked cars were hospitalized, police said.

The guard was not injured. He was still being questioned at the scene later Tuesday night.

mike.glenn@chron.com

HPD: Security guard shoots man trying to seize bus | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Good thing the guard was there, although I wouldn't have did what he did.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I don't remember what TX law says on this....i.e. in defense of others. It's a judgment call. The BG was committing a host of felonies without anyone else knowing he was on PCP...a good time to be a witness.

However, when an armed individual proceeds to assault a stranger (in this specific case) after witnessing what the BG did, the totality of circumstances can lead you to the conclusion that someone was going to get killed.

Notice in the story that police are nowhere to be found...they are probably minutes away (enroute)...but it was a citizen that stopped this criminal from killing one or more people in the time it would take police to respond. He attempted de-escalation...talking to the guy (according to the report)...the BG attempted to harm the GG, and in turn, was shot.

We'll see what happens next....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The cops say it appears to be a justified shot.
    The perp was goin for the CCW weapon when he was shot.
    And if he were on PCP it wouldn't be hard to determine that the indivdual was "not quite right" or "on something" based on the common charicteristics of someone on a drug induced rage.
    If the CCW knew the perp was on something or not it was obvious he was a threat after having just wrecked multiple vehicles and then forced his way on to the bus and began beating the driver.
    I think the CCW did the right thing.
    And yes, here in Texas it is fine to use your weapon in a deadly manner if needed to protect a 3rd party if you truly believe thier life to be in danger. I would much rather have to live with the guilt of killing a BG than the guilt of knowing I could have intervened and didn't and then the bus driver ends up losing his life because I was simply trying to be a good witness.
    It's still iffy and an area to be cautious about when defending a 3rd party but in this particular scenario I think the CCW did absolutely the right thing.
    I'll be very suprised if any charges come from this against the CCW.

The bad guy was a hostage taker armed with a deadly weapon and in the act of beating the bus driver and hijack the bus.

The security guard risked serious injury in order to go "hands on" in an attempt to stop it without the use of deadly force. (commendable)

When bad guy attempted a gun grab from security guard he got shot! (justified)

Did I miss anything?

Good job for the security guard!

Would I have intervened?

I don't know.

One of those, "would have to had been there" type of situations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Would I have intervened?

I don't know.

One of those, "would have to had been there" type of situations.
    Exactly...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I support the actions of the security guard.
    This drugged up dirtbag was a walking accident looking for a place to involve others.
    It doesn't sound like there was 'enough' of the lead application...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GOOD: CC Citizen shoots man attempting to hijack Metro bus

Good

Police: Citizen shoots man attempting to hijack Metro bus after multiple wrecks | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines

HOUSTON – A man, who attempted to hijack a Metro bus Tuesday after he crashed a stolen vehicle into several cars, injuring four people, was shot by a citizen who witnessed the incident, Houston police said.

Police said it all began at about 5:30 p.m. when Henry Hankston III, 37, carjacked a person who was visiting friends at a residence in the 5200 block of Fair Green in southeast Houston.

“Suspect had approached them, appeared to be under the influence of some kind of drugs, apparently came up and started assaulting the person and took his vehicle from him,” said Sgt. Robert Torres, with HPD’s Homicide Division.

He said Hankston did not have a weapon, but used objects that he had picked up on the street.

“We were told that he was possibly on PCP, or his behavior was consistent with that of somebody who was on PCP -- really hyper and extremely strong,” Torres said.

Hankston fled northbound on Martin Luther King and about a block away from the carjacking he struck the first vehicle and continued driving, Torres said.

“When he got to the intersection, he hit three other vehicles until he got to the point where his vehicle was disabled, got out of that vehicle and ran up to a bus that was turning through the intersection,” Torres said.

Torres said the suspect entered the bus and began assaulting the driver, in an apparent attempt to hijack the bus, until the driver of a car idling behind the bus noticed what was happened.

“This person is a licensed concealed handgun carrier, he got out of the vehicle [and] went to the bus to try to intervene in the assault that was taking place," he said. "He did pull the suspect away from the driver and engaged in a physical confrontation with the suspect.”

As the two men struggled, the gun discharged and struck the suspect in the upper abdomen, Torres said.

“He got up and went and sat in his own car which, by the way, was on fire, and waited there, shot, and he was still there when the police and paramedics got here,” Torres said.

Hankston was transported to Ben Taub Hospital, where he was in surgery Tuesday night, but reported to be in stable condition. The bus driver was also hospitalized with injuries to his face and head. His injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

Four of the drivers whose vehicles were struck were transported with none-life-threatening injuries.

Police said Hankston faces several charges including aggravated robbery, failure to stop and render aid and aggravated assault.

“There maybe a couple of others that may also be appropriate, but I imagine he’s going to get at least aggravated robbery and aggravated assault,” Torres said.

Glad they got him stopped. I hope the individual with the weapon will not be charged in this incident.

I don't think the security officer should have physically engaged the individual. I think the shooting was justified,and I think the security officer needs more range time.

VIP Member

Weapon not used to protect 3rd party

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    And yes, here in Texas it is fine to use your weapon in a deadly manner if needed to protect a 3rd party if you truly believe thier life to be in danger.

I'll be very suprised if any charges come from this against the CCW.
    The guard protected the third party not by using his weapon, but by pulling the assailant off the driver. He then informed the BG he didn't want to fight him. At that point, use of the gun was not to protect a third party but to protect himself after he made clear he wanted the engagement to stop and wanted to break it off. The BG being on something or being nuts, just didn't get it that he was being given an opportunity to flee from the scene of his other offenses.

Links