Alarm Company Sued Over Murder

This is a discussion on Alarm Company Sued Over Murder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am not surprised by this. I have always felt these ADT commercials give a false sense of security. This was on the KC Star ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alarm Company Sued Over Murder

I am not surprised by this. I have always felt these ADT commercials give a false sense of security. This was on the KC Star Crime Scene. This woman would have been better off with a home defense weapon and putting her security in her OWN hands.
    With ADT it is best to remember this:
    When seconds count...police are minutes away. Sometimes many minutes. Expensive alarm systems don't change that.

ALARM COMPANY SUED OVER MURDER

In Minnesota, a murder victim's family is suing ADT after her murderer was reportedly able to thwart her $2,400 security system. The alarm company, in turn, is blaming the local police for failing to arrest the bad guy -- a former boyfriend -- after he violated a no-contact order.

"Teri Lee, the person harmed by the police departments' failure to arrest Van Keuren, was the very person the statute was designed to protect," according to an ADT court motion on March 24. "Sadly, if the police departments had acted properly ... Van Keuren would have been in jail ... rather than carrying out the murder of Lee and her boyfriend Hawkinson."

The family's attorney says the alarm failed to sound after the killer cut the phone lines, smashed a glass door and came up the stairs -- they allegedly sounded only when the victim's kids ran out of the house.

In Minnesota, a murder victim's family is suing ADT after her murderer was reportedly able to thwart her $2,400 security system. The alarm company, in turn, is blaming the local police for failing to arrest the bad guy -- a former boyfriend -- after he violated a no-contact order.

"Teri Lee, the person harmed by the police departments' failure to arrest Van Keuren, was the very person the statute was designed to protect," according to an ADT court motion on March 24. "Sadly, if the police departments had acted properly ... Van Keuren would have been in jail ... rather than carrying out the murder of Lee and her boyfriend Hawkinson."

The family's attorney says the alarm failed to sound after the killer cut the phone lines, smashed a glass door and came up the stairs -- they allegedly sounded only when the victim's kids ran out of the house.

Here is the link to full story.

Suit claims alarm allowed killer into home | StarTribune.com
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

And yet their still believing the police/government/security company should have been there to save them. Sad...
    Give us this day our daily lead...

Well, we all know any alarm system can be circumvented. However, I don't think they advertise that very much when trying to sell to someone who is believing an alarm system relinquishes them of "personal responsibility."

Alarm systems are good to have as an adjunct to a pro-active personal security mindset and system. Alarm systems do save lives. Very helpful when they incorporate fire and smoke detection, carbon monoxide detection and are capable of being utilized in medical emergencies.

However, one is a fool if they believe the alarm company will be calling you to check before the broken glass hits the floor and that a swat team will magically appear in a cloud of smoke coming from your phone receiver.

The main thing is regardless of what you do... you, the individual, must be personally responsible for your own safety and defense until help can have an opportunity to assist.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My home is protected by a dog, couple shotguns, S&W revolver and SA XD40 SC, not necessarily in that order.

It's about time the truth about these alarm companies come out,they may call the cops within a minute but even with a 10 minute response time,you could be dead many times over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    1) Dog (s)

2) Alarms

3) Cell Phone

4) fighting mindset

5) Firearms of your choice

If the dogs do their job, the other parts of a defensive system will never get tested.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    People just can't get it through their head that obeying the law is a voluntary act, and some people don't volunteer.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Now, they got an alarm system so they are at least somewhat of a mind to be aware of criminal activity -- but then it stops there, I guess. I mean at that point they think now its all up to the cops and the alarm company. But do they ever think about the speed with which a violent criminal attack takes place, and how the cops are really unlikely to get there in time to actually help them? It isn't like its hard to figure out. Just imagine while you are standing in your living room that some crooks bust down your front door and come in with guns pointed at you. Exactly how are you going to even call the cops? and if you ARE able to, how many eternities are going to go by while they try to get there?

I guess these types of people just never think about these things -- or believe these things only happen to other people. Well, not this time. Sad...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I get disgusted every time I see those home alarm commercials. The BG is scared away by the alarmand the alarm company call two seconds after the alarm goes offtelling the customer that help is on the way.

If a BG breaks into my home, he will hear some alarming sounds.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would never rely on a alarm system as the sole security measure, but this is stupider than I would have expected. Over 2 grand and its rendered useless over a single cut wire, the sort of thing that anyone with half a brain would think of doing, and has been played in countless movies and tv shows. The bad guy always cuts the phone lines. How about using a cellular connection that cant be defeated with a 5 dollar pocket knife?

My alarm uses a land line, but it detects when it loses dial tone on that line and the keypads beep with an error (I hear that beep, and I know it means only one thing). If I ever hear that beep, first thing in my hand is gonna be a firearm.

They should have had a cellguard installed incase those wires were cut and should have had glass breaks to detect the glass breaking, have those in place and the alarm would have done it's job.

Most people look for the cheapest way out in protecting themselves and their families when they look into an alarm system.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

But the TV ads say......

and when the alarm goes off after the ex-boyfriend breaks thru the door .... he always runs off just as they call to check they are OK.

That didn't happen ? People have unreasonable expectations, based upon faulty logic, and want to blame someone else. It was bound to happen.

Blame, blame, blame.

If the victim would have had defensive training and tools available at the time of the attack, it's highly likely the outcome would have been different.

Police should have picked up the criminal the moment he telegraphed his intentions to harm the victim. The alarm company should have had a system that could not be thwarted without signaling intrusion. And the victim should have avoided being deaf, dumb and blind, thinking that police could arrive in time or that an alarm couldn't be circumvented.

Adapt to realities, or risk suffering a similar fate.

Fact is, we all risk a similar fate anyway, irrespective of training, tools. Surprise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Let's blame everybody but the dirtbag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links