NY mugging stopped by armed victim

This is a discussion on NY mugging stopped by armed victim within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Robbers Run When Citizen Shoots Back Last Update: 4/22 11:48 am Rochester, N.Y. - Police are looking for two men they say tried to rob ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY mugging stopped by armed victim

NY mugging stopped by armed victim

Robbers Run When Citizen Shoots Back

Last Update: 4/22 11:48 am

Rochester, N.Y. - Police are looking for two men they say tried to rob a 61-year old man on his way home from the store Wednesday night only to have him shoot back with his own gun.

The attempted robbery and retaliation occurred just after 11:15 p.m. on Tubman Way in the city.

Police said when the two approached the victim, one grabbed him and the other pulled a knife. The victim quickly pulled his own gun and fired at the suspects. His gun is licensed and legally registered, police said.

The suspects ran away.

The two young men are described as African-American men in their 20s; one stands 6'1" tall and weighs about 190 pounds. He was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt.

The second man is about 5'7" and was wearing a black sweatshirt. Reportedly, he's the one who carried the knife. Nobody was hurt.

If you have information, please help the investigating officers by calling Crime Stoppers at 423-9300.

2. Remove Ads

I hate the fact they have to even mention licensing and registration...because none of that has any bearing on the attack or employment of the gun.

But I am surprised it's been reported in the press at all....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I guarantee you the fact that the gun was the only thing that let a 61-year-old man stand a chance against a 6', 200 lb thug.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I'm not surprised at all that it isn't in the media. That would be a story telling the public how guns can help keep people safe. No way they want to advertise that!
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I'm not surprised at all that it isn't in the media. That would be a story telling the public how guns can help keep people safe. No way they want to advertise that!
    Except that it was a retaliation, not a 61 y/o defending himself. In the minds of sheep, that word "Retaliation" will stand out in the article, and is a bad word describing an action that bad people do.

In fact the word "defense" or variation thereof is nowhere in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    Robbers Run When Citizen Shoots Back

Last Update: 4/22 11:48 am

Rochester, N.Y. - Police are looking for two men they say tried to rob a 61-year old man on his way home from the store Wednesday night only to have him shoot back with his own gun.

The attempted robbery and retaliation occurred just after 11:15 p.m. on Tubman Way in the city.

Police said when the two approached the victim, one grabbed him and the other pulled a knife. The victim quickly pulled his own gun and fired at the suspects. His gun is licensed and legally registered, police said.

The suspects ran away.

The two young men are described as African-American men in their 20s; one stands 6'1" tall and weighs about 190 pounds. He was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt.

The second man is about 5'7" and was wearing a black sweatshirt. Reportedly, he's the one who carried the knife. Nobody was hurt.

If you have information, please help the investigating officers by calling Crime Stoppers at 423-9300.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Two black 20 year olds wearing black hooded sweat shirts...who-da' thought?
    They better get that description out quickly because those two will stand out like 'sore thumbs'.

Too bad the young man (61 years old, I'm older) didn't 'connect', but glad he's OK.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The two felons that attempted to commit the violent act of Armed Robbery failed their class in, "Victim Selection 101".

Biker

I love a story with a happy ending. Hopefully these thugs' next victim puts them in the ground.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

They left out a very important item on the Suspects descriptions. They were both wearing soiled underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I hate the fact they have to even mention licensing and registration...because none of that has any bearing on the attack or employment of the gun.

But I am surprised it's been reported in the press at all....
    Their job is to report the news. Something out of the ordinary. Following that logic it would seem that a robbery if not out of the ordinary whereas an armed citizen is. If it was just a robbery and the victim hadn't been armed no one but the victim would have even cared about this. It wouldn't have been considered news worthy. It would have been an accepted part of life in that area it seems.

Michael

Happy ending?

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    I love a story with a happy ending. Hopefully these thugs' next victim puts them in the ground.
    It would have been happier if the two of them ended up on a slab at the morgue!
    Glock 32 & 27
    Kimber Ultra & Crimson
    Ruger SR9c
    Kahr PM9
    Sig P238

Two thugs in their 20's against one older gentleman and they ran screaming into the night... Yup, bring a knife to a gunfight and that tends to happen.

Too bad they weren't found lying bleeding in the street.

Congrats for the armed citizen.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The two felons that attempted to commit the violent act of Armed Robbery failed their class in, "Victim Selection 101".

Biker

The part that says don't mess with old folks, they just shoot you.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

"The attempted robbery and retaliation occurred just after 11:15 p.m. on Tubman Way in the city."

Umm what?!

This was self defense NOT a "retaliation"!

Aren't journalists supposed to be English majors or at least have clear command of same as in normal use?

Retaliate

: to repay (as an injury) in kind

intransitive verb : to return like for like; especially : to get revenge

Source - Retaliate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    There was no retaliation here, this was defense of self.
    I actually read the article twice over thinking I'd missed something because of this word use!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    "The attempted robbery and retaliation occurred just after 11:15 p.m. on Tubman Way in the city."

Umm what?!

This was self defense NOT a "retaliation"!

Aren't journalists supposed to be English majors or at least have clear command of same as in normal use?

There was no retaliation here, this was defense of self.
    I actually read the article twice over thinking I'd missed something because of this word use!

- Janq
    Hey Janq, if they said SELF-DEFENSE it would make sense and people might catch on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links