New Mexico: No more Utah permits, maybe others

This is a discussion on New Mexico: No more Utah permits, maybe others within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Effective immediately, NM will no longer recognized Utah permits: New Mexico DPS | CCW Info There has been talk a change for awhile, since many ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mexico: No more Utah permits, maybe others

Effective immediately, NM will no longer recognized Utah permits:

New Mexico DPS | CCW Info

There has been talk a change for awhile, since many NM residents have chosen to get Utah rather than NM permits, but people I know expected that change to be that NM residents would need local permits.

There are 18 other states whose permits may not be honored in the future (see link above) including Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming ...

Mark

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    Effective immediately, NM will no longer recognized Utah permits:

There has been talk a change for awhile, since many NM residents have chosen to get Utah rather than NM permits, but people I know expected that change to be that NM residents would need local permits.

There are 18 other states whose permits may not be honored in the future (see link above) including Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming ...

Mark
    This (see bold) I could understand, but disallowing 18 other states?

I is a BIG step backwards for the law-abiding citizne.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

wow..only texas is recognized..bummer
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

New Mexico No Longer Recognizes Utah Concealed Carry License

DPS Press Release
    New Mexico No Longer Recognizes Utah Concealed Carry License
    April 23, 2010
    (505) 827-3361

Santa Fe—Effective immediately New Mexico will no longer recognize concealed carry licenses issued by the State of Utah for the purposes of reciprocity in New Mexico, as the requirements for licensure in Utah do not meet the standards required in New Mexico statute. Rules governing the concealed carrying of weapons and issuance of licenses require that training and other provisions be as stringent or substantially similar to New Mexico requirements.

Questions concerning licenses obtained from Utah by New Mexico residents have made it necessary to reevaluate which states will be recognized as valid in New Mexico.

“We’ve had situations where certain concealed carry instructors in New Mexico solicit clients with the promise that if they train here and obtain a Utah license, which entails significantly less training than does a New Mexico license, it will qualify here,” said Department of Public Safety Secretary John Denko. “This is incorrect, and is nothing less than an effort to circumvent New Mexico concealed carry requirements which are designed to protect the public safety while honoring individual rights under the Second Amendment of the constitution.”

The state will also review the status of eighteen other states currently recognized on an informal basis, with the intent of entering into written agreements with these states to ensure compliance with New Mexico law. These states are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming.

New Mexico currently has a written reciprocity agreement in place with Texas; the status of this agreement will remain unchanged.

The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Glad I didn't send in that $100 for a Virginia permit. This sounds like one big scam to me, to invalidate out of state permits and force NM residents to obtain NM permits thus insuring their money goes into NM coffers.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I guess that I won't be visiting NM anytime soon.

Less guns=more crime.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If you live there,get a permit there.

I see nothing wrong with the requirement that you have your own state's permit to carry in your own state.
    Several states like FL only recognize resident permits for out of state visitors.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I was told that Utah has more permits out there than their state population. Is that true?

226,103 Total Valid Permits as of March 31, 2010:

(http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/2010Q1.pdf)

They don't say how many are non-resident, but there are quite a few of us ...

2008 Utah Population, a bit over 2.7 million.

GM
    Too bad that something like that should happen.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

(1) That's kind of a shock, but the explanation on the DPS site made sense and seems to be an appropriate action given the DPS's legal responsibilities.

(2) Glad I already have an NM permit.

(3) The DPS site also gave a head's up about the change to the concealed carry regulation being "contemplated": "Consumption of alcohol prohibited. No person shall consume alcohol while carrying a concealed handgun." This would be in addition to the current language "no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications."
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the requirement that you have your own state's permit to carry in your own state.
    Several states like FL only recognize resident permits for out of state visitors.
    What about residents of CA, IL, NY, NJ, MD, WI, or MA where it is cost prohibitive or legally (or procedurally) impossible to get a concealed carry permit in their home state?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    What about residents of CA, IL, NY, NJ, MD, WI, or MA where it is cost prohibitive or legally (or procedurally) impossible to get a concealed carry permit in their home state?
    What I meant was (for example);
    Florida resident must have FL permit to carry in FL.
    People in N.Y. etc,if unable to get home state permit can't carry at home anyway.
    They can get a non-res. permit from another state and possibly carry out of their home state.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I have a friend that lives in Albuquerque and holds a Utah permit. He's not going to be happy about this.

As a side note, I'm surprised the NMDPS finally got around to checking their reciprocity agreements. The bureaucratic process is notoriously slow here in New Mexico.

gabep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Although they say that is what started the review, it reads as though a non-NM residents cannot carry on a Utah permit -- including Utah residents.

New Mexico will no longer recognize concealed carry licenses issued by the State of Utah for the purposes of reciprocity in New Mexico,
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links