The Roanoke Times picks up the beat...

This is a discussion on The Roanoke Times picks up the beat... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; on Dan Casey blog: Teed up for 2011: the bourbon-and-a-Beretta bill | Dan Casey's blog: Roanoke Times metro columnist writes what's on his mind - ...

Thread: The Roanoke Times picks up the beat...

VIP Member

Thumbs down The Roanoke Times picks up the beat...

on Dan Casey blog:

Teed up for 2011: the bourbon-and-a-Beretta bill | Dan Casey's blog: Roanoke Times metro columnist writes what's on his mind - Roanoke.com

Teed up for 2011: the bourbon-and-a-Beretta bill

Philip Van Cleave, Virginia's most ardent gun maven, had a major victory in the most recent Virginia General Assembly.

After years of unsuccessfully pushing for the legalization of concealed carry in bars, the president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League finally had the winning combination: a General Assembly and a governor who were both shortsighted enough to let that dumb legislation go through.

Beginning July 1, it will be legal for concealed handgun permit holders to take their hidden guns into a bar provided they don't drink.

This has caused many bar and restaurant owners to wonder aloud: how are we going to enforce THAT, if the guns are hidden?

Van Cleave is sympathetic to those barkeeps' plight. Though the ink is barely dry on that ill-conceived guns-in-bars, Van Cleave already is readying legislation for next year: a bill that would make it legal for those gun hiders to drink.

From the Richmond Times Dispatch:

Philip Van Cleave wants every Virginian who has a permit to carry a concealed handgun into a bar to be able to have a drink - or he wants no gun carrier to be able to drink.

That's the choice that Van Cleave, the leader of the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League, wants to offer state lawmakers next year when the General Assembly reconvenes.

He said he is going to find a legislator to submit two bills to the body representing both positions.

His aim is to force lawmakers to expand the rights of concealed-handgun owners in bars or rescind the current exception that allows law-enforcement officers and commonwealth's attorneys to carry concealed weapons and consume alcohol.

"We're not allowed to drink, but they can," Van Cleave said. "That's two classes of citizens."

Unfair! Unfair! Unfair!

What's next?

One day in the coming years, the VCDL will push legislation, like the recently enacted law in Arizona, that drops a requirement for concealed carriers to have a permit at all.

And at some point, Van Cleave will mount this argument: concealed carriers should be able to bring their guns into those "dangerous gun-free zones" known as workplaces.

This year, the General Assembly passed (and Gov. Bob McDonnell signed) not only a guns-in-bars bill, but also a guns-in-cars bill. It allows gun owners to lock their guns in their cars on company property. The employer has no say in this matter.

But like the guns-in-bars bill, this law also is too limiting, the pro-gunners will argue. It leaves gun owners defenseless walking from their locked vehicles to their employer's front door.

And, they will be be just as defenseless inside, at work.

After all, there are a lot more mass shootings in workplaces than there are in bars. . .
    The antis are in an uproar.

It will be a blood bath everywhere if they don't get back in control.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Think of it as Selective Population Grooming!

I tend to stay out of bars as I never enjoyed them. Even when I was younger but if you are the DD I have no problem with this law. I think we all know that if you are going to drink. Leave the firearm at home.

This has caused many bar and restaurant owners to wonder aloud: how are we going to enforce THAT, if the guns are hidden?
    The same freakin' way the drinking and driving laws are enforced. Bartenders don't worry too much about making sure a drinker isn't driving. What a total idiot. They sure could have used more chlorine in the gene pool in his family.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I tend to stay out of bars as I never enjoyed them. Even when I was younger but if you are the DD I have no problem with this law. I think we all know that if you are going to drink. Leave the firearm at home.
    Do you stay out of all restaurants which serve alcohol anywhere on premises?

That's what the antis are calling "bars" in their hissy fits.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm a retired LEO, however, I don't see why a LEO or Attorney should be able to have a drink while armed, when someone who has legally passed the tests to be issued a CC permit by their respective State can not. The alcohol does not react any different in their system than it will in anyone else's.
    JMHO!

How do they enforce it now, if the guns are concealed?

I've been on Casey's blog wearing him out for the last few weeks. Anyone interested in joining me make him look like an idiot, please do so. It just takes a name (any name) and an e-mail address to post away. Several new folks have chimed in lately to support responsible gun owners.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links