Craigslist Home Invasion

Craigslist Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Craigslist Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Family had a ring for sale on Craigslist, let the "buyers" into the home. The local news this morning said that they hit the son ...

Thread: Craigslist Home Invasion

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Angry Craigslist Home Invasion

Family had a ring for sale on Craigslist, let the "buyers" into the home. The local news this morning said that they hit the son over the head with a handgun, and when the father tried to step in and protect his son, they shot him dead.

Another example of why you should meet people in public places and be armed when dealing on Craigslist. Really sad story. Maybe my wife will be more cautious when answering the door now.

Man killed, family assaulted in Craigslist home robbery | NorthWest Cable News | Washington News

quote:
    by TERESA YUAN / KING 5 News and KING5.com

NWCN.com

Posted on April 29, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Updated today at 6:57 AM

EDGEWOOD, Wash. -- A manhunt is under way for four people wanted in a fatal home invasion robbery in Pierce County that started off as a Craigslist posting. The homeowner was shot and killed, and his wife and sons were assaulted.

The robbery happened around 9 p.m. Wednesday at 106th Avenue Court East in Edgewood, just east of Tacoma. Police are looking for three men and one woman. Authorities say the four came to the house armed with guns and zip ties with the intent to rob the family.

"Overnight we found some evidence off of 277th Street and Highway 167. We believe the suspects left here, they went northbound on Highway 167 into King County, and then they took the 277th Street exit, where they threw some evidence out the window, which we have recovered and we know it was taken during the robbery," said Ed Troyer, Pierce County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies swarmed the home, which is located on a private road, and combed the area for the suspects who fled in a car.

Investigators say the family was apparently trying to sell a diamond ring on Craigslist. Police say the suspects posed as potential buyers to get into the family's home. Once inside, they shot and killed the 43-year-old father, attacked his teenage son and tied up the mom and the younger son. Police say the younger son managed to called 911 and alerted police.

A family friend was stunned to hear about the violent tragedy.

"People are sick. I don't know what to say," said the friend. "It is sad and we are praying for them."

Authorities say they have technical teams investigating the case, trying to track down cell phone calls and the IP address of people who responded to the Craigslist ad.
    Walk softly ...

You should never invite anyone you do not know into your home.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I saw a craigslist ad once, where someone was looking for bids on a constuction project at their home. In the ad, they listed their address, and mentioned the specific days that they wanted the project done on, as they would be out of town on vacation.

Just goes to show you, some people don't have any common sense
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I couldn't say it better, a complete lack of common sense and a misguided belief that it "wont happen to me" syndrome. Those two things are more important to a BG than a weapon ever will be. Too bad most people have to learn the hard way.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    I saw a craigslist ad once, where someone was looking for bids on a constuction project at their home. In the ad, they listed their address, and mentioned the specific days that they wanted the project done on, as they would be out of town on vacation.

Just goes to show you, some people don't have any common sense
    Excellent advertisement for the 'Dirtbag Gazette'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I could see something like this, during daylight hours, if you live in the suburbs with neighbors close by; but when I read, "home, which is located on a private road" and "9 PM" I think, "Death wish."

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    That is exactly why I prefer to deal with Ebay... Craigslist is too shady for me.

VIP Member
    I Abhor selling stuff from my house anymore.
    Laast thing I sold was a minivan, and I was gnashing my teeth all the while.
    A friend of mine 15 years ago had some stuff to get rid of, and I told him to list it in the paper, or the like, and his reply was, " I don't need a bunch of people with questionable intent walking around my place sizing it up for a future B &E.
    I'll give the crap away before I compromise my home and family for a few hundred bucks".
    I started paying attention to what he said from then on.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I could see something like this, during daylight hours, if you live in the suburbs with neighbors close by; but when I read, "home, which is located on a private road" and "9 PM" I think, "Death wish."

Ryan
    X2

There is no way in hell I would invite someone that I didn't know to my house at 9pm at night
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Sponsored Links