BAD: Some folks still don't get it! Craigslist sale turns fatal [Updated]

This is a discussion on BAD: Some folks still don't get it! Craigslist sale turns fatal [Updated] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BigStick, ya beat me to it! Anyways, mods, please merge. I feel so bad about the family, but I cannot understand how people can be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Some folks still don't get it! Craigslist sale turns fatal [Updated]

Exclamation BAD: Some folks still don't get it! Craigslist sale turns fatal [Updated]

BigStick, ya beat me to it! Anyways, mods, please merge.

I feel so bad about the family, but I cannot understand how people can be so oblivious in this day and age.

Hopefully the previous phone contact info can help track the BGs down, but they likely used a phone which could not ID them.

Father shot dead after listing ring on Craigslist

EDGEWOOD, Wash. -- A man has died after being shot during what appeared to be a home invasion robbery on Wednesday night.

Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said the incident took place at a home in the 3600 block of 106th Ave. Ct. E. The victim, his wife and their two sons were home at the time.

Troyer said homeowner had listed an expensive ring for sale on Craigslist, and was expecting a potential buyer to stop by the home to take a look around 9:30 p.m.

Three man and a woman arrived, "flashed cash" at the door, and the "homeowners let them in to buy a ring," Troyer said.

But once inside the home, at least one of them pulled out a gun, according to Troyer.

Detectives are still trying to sort out exactly what hapened next, but the gunman opened fire and shot the father multiple times, investigators said, and the victim's 14-year-old son was pistol-whipped on the head. The robbers also tied up the boy's mother.

Investigators say the man may have been shot while trying to protect his son, who had jumped on one of the robbers.

The robbers ransacked the home and drove off before deputies arrived.

The 43-year-old man dead at the scene. His son was taken to an area hospital to be checked out, and the boy's mother and younger brother were not injured.

A description of the robbers was not available.

"All we do know at this point is that they had phone contact with the family earlier, because the family was trying to sell an expensive ring," Troyer said.

The name of the man who was killed has not been released.
    Last edited by RemMod597; April 29th, 2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Update is on Post #11 below.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

2. Remove Ads

Wow very sad stuff .

Some Folks are to trusting

Why would he arrange a meeting at 9:30P?!
    That in and of itself makes no sense!!!

And he opened his security perimeter to an opposing force as greater than his own. That is exactly how I would have looked at these _strangers_.
    They are not 'buyers' or 'people'. They are strangers.

Besides you don't need four people to buy a ring.
    One is all that is needed. Why not tell the other three to wait outside.
    And to answer your door at 9:30P to strangers as being unarmed makes no sense at all to me.

Very sad and unnecessary.
    Folks gotta use their thinking caps these days. Not everybody in this world is nice, kind and 50s era golden rule adherent.

With the father and 1/2 to sole bread winner now dead this will likely throw the family into immediate financial ruin and by that, very real poverty. Literally.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Should meet at an acceptable time, in a public place. Never invite strangers into your home.

Whole story is sad, hope they are able to apprehend those responsible.

Prayers to the family.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

An almost similar situation burned me up earlier this week. I could have been the BG in a similar situation this past week(obviously I'm not), but I couldn't help but near chew out the homeowner when I left. Nothing of firearms was mentioned but this dingbat had to get set straight before he gets his family slaughtered..

Long story short, the homeowner gets home late from work(after 9pm). A relative was looking at making a big purchase from said homeowner via craigslist. The homeowner asked to show said items at around 930pm at his home. I said ok...I just went with the relative for manual labor support.

So we show up at this guys house at 930 and he's at the front door in his bloody jammies and clearly unarmed! It gets better.... We shake hands and he leads us into his home. He immediately goes up the stairs with 2 of us to follow behind him with his back turned the whole way. Mind you, the both of us are around 200lbs and in fairly decent shape and we're coming up this guys six in his own house on a stairway and he's all of 5'nothin and maybe 100lbs soaking wet.

So we get to the top of the stairs and his wife and toddler are right there near the top of the stairs as well. So this numbnut has allowed to unknown males who both clearly have a physical advantage into his home with his young wife and toddler and he's completely unaware of the situation. It continued on like this until business was concluded...

People are just plain stupid...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sad story...the family was needlessly exposed to trouble. Hope the dirtbags are captured and executed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Should meet at an acceptable time, in a public place. Never invite strangers into your home.
    A hell of a lot more people have been robbed, raped and killed "meeting in a public place" while performing a Craigslist transaction then this type of home invasion murder.

The whole Craigslist concept is a virtual predator playground for nut jobs trolling for easy, naive victims.

In the old days, predators actually had to go out and work to find their victims, now they just sit at home in the jammies at the computer looking through Craigslist and the victims come to them with open arms.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    A hell of a lot more people have been robbed, raped and killed "meeting in a public place" while performing a Craigslist transaction then this type of home invasion murder.
    That's an interesting point. Can you offer any evidence in support of this assertion?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGray View Post
    That's an interesting point. Can you offer any evidence in support of this assertion?
    Just the anecdotal evidence that about once or twice every three or 4 months I see a story on our local news of someone being robbed or a woman was raped and attacked during a Craigslist transaction. I know one person was killed in a Craigslist robbery gone bad.

This is my local news which probably covers a 1/4 area of Missouri, so I can just extrapolate how many incidents happen Nationally.

This posting is the first I can recall on this forum of a home invasion robbery/murder related to a Craigslist transaction. And I've only vaguely recall one or two others I've read about online.

So, I offer no hard statistics or numbers, just the anecdotal stories carried on our local news over the last couple years. One news station even had a special investigative series outlining Craigslist and warnings to be careful and things you can do to protect yourself from either criminal acts of violence, or from being scammed by an advertisement from Craigslist.

You may want to try and research the archives from the Kansas City Star online edition for some of the stories and see if anything comes up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's not that way just in Kansas...

craiglist crimes - Google Search

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Exclamation UPDATE: Police: Killers wanted in second Craigslist home invasion

Latest update:

Police: Killers wanted in second Craigslist home invasion

Check out the sketches of two of the scumbags.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I just sold a home gym on craigslist. Before the sale I locked up my shotgun (which is in my bedroom where the gym was) and I was carrying concealed the whole time. I simply was not going to trust a stranger.

Just what I wanted to read....I'm meeting with someone off Craiglist tomorrow..... He's coming to look at a fish tank I have for sale at $100. Two things though, it will be at 3pm instead of 9:30. And two, I will have my awareness level at the highest alert possible, and my hand will not come off my gun.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I have a car on craiglist. I won't give out personal info. I will 'meet' them in a public place, and be armed with a backup person...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have a car on craiglist. I won't give out personal info. I will 'meet' them in a public place, and be armed with a backup person...
    That too is no safer.
    Bring three guys, two cells and if possible everyone armed...With one of the two out of direct view/interaction to observe & report should something untoward occur.

craigslist car sale robbery - Google Search

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links