This is what compliance gets you

This is a discussion on This is what compliance gets you within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yes, throw yourself at the mercy of the criminal. Yet, our police chief says this: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ourselves.html Man shot even after giving robber his cash outside ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yes, throw yourself at the mercy of the criminal.

Yet, our police chief says this: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ourselves.html

Man shot even after giving robber his cash outside Vallejo bar - Vallejo Times Herald

Man shot even after giving robber his cash outside Vallejo bar
    Times-Herald staff report
    Posted: 04/29/2010 0109 AM PDT

A 36-year-old Sacramento man was shot outside a Vallejo bar over the weekend after emptying his pockets for an armed robber.

The man, Aaron Anderson, was transported by ambulance to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Anderson was leaving My Office bar on the 2400 block of Sacramento Street with an associate around 1:45 a.m. Sunday when he was approached by a man in the parking lot, Vallejo Police Sgt. Herman Robinson said.

The man, described as a 5-foot-5 inch black male with dreadlocks, was near a white van when he approached Anderson and demanded that he empty his pockets, Robinson said.

Though Anderson complied, the suspect shot him in the left side of his abdomen and fled in the van.

Three to four other men, described as Hispanic or Samoan, also were in the van, Robinson said.

Anderson returned to the bar where he laid across a pool table and police were called. Anderson's associate was not injured.

That's why I voted for "Fight" on the thread discussing fight or comply.

Noted.

Again.

Thanks for the reminder.

The Brady bunch tells us that our chances of being harmed by the well meaning criminal are nil if you "just give them what they want."

My dad was a minister in Vallejo in the 70's.......Vallejo was NOT GOOD then. When I got out of the USAF in 1980, my brother and I brother worked at Mare Island shipyard. I carried everyday, everywhere, slept with my gun on the night stand. Vallejo taught me more about the dangers of life that the military did. Vallejo was bad then can't imagine it now.

I remember buying my first Buck 110 while working at Mare Island. I wore it then and it is on my belt as I type this post.

The last of my family finally got out in the late 80's and still do not know that I carried concealed 24/7-365.

Comply pretty much equates to roll over and be dead. Criminals are getting to the point where they have lost any sense of humanity and place zero value on any life, except their own.

This puts many of us into the fight no matter what category. If complying gets you shot/stabbed/beaten or whatever, then what difference does it make? Seems like more these days, complying to the wishes of a robber will not guarantee he won't do you bodily harm.

The perp may kill me, but he's going to endure a serious effort upon my part to remove the life force from his person post haste before he does me in.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Uh huh. In the US in 2002, there were around 178,000 armed robberies where the robber used a firearm. In the same time period, there were around 9,400 firearms murders. Even if we assume that every single firearms murder was the result of an armed robbery (an obviously preposterous assumption), that STILL means that you had a 95% chance of NOT being killed during an armed (and armed with a firearm) robbery.

The fact is that the vast majority of armed robbers do not kill their victims. Citing one example out of many tens of thousands - especially when that example is in the tiny minority - and using it as a basis for any ABSOLUTE decisions is simply bad decision making based on bad analysis...

Note that I am not necessarily advocating compliance - I am advocating THINKING. Each situation is unique, and your decisions must be based on the totality of the circumstances if they are to be your best decisions. Assuming that because at the absolute most 1 in 20 robbers kills their victims (and this number is actually much, much lower) you MUST adopt one course of action, and one course of action only, is rigidity for the sake of rigidity, and is not good decision making. If your goal is to survive the encounter, then compliance MAY be a viable option...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

One reason I want ammo that will penetrate the door of my car.....

I would prefer to give them what they DON'T want...

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This happened in Kommifornia. Wouldn't have mattered in any case. Only the BG's carry. They must feel somewhat threatened by the Good Guys. They sure aren't threatened by the politicians.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    That's why I voted for "Fight" on the thread discussing fight or comply.
    Amen to that, maybe 50 years ago, robbers, thiefs had a code, rob and go away, today it's a different story, today it's a thrill to kill someone for them, it's the money and the thrill for a lot of them.

No thank you. I'll go down fighting instead.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have to agree with opfor here. Sometimes compliance is the better choice sometimes it's not. You must stay alert and thinking in these situations as every one is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Uh huh. In the US in 2002, there were around 178,000 armed robberies where the robber used a firearm. In the same time period, there were around 9,400 firearms murders. Even if we assume that every single firearms murder was the result of an armed robbery (an obviously preposterous assumption), that STILL means that you had a 95% chance of NOT being killed during an armed (and armed with a firearm) robbery.

The fact is that the vast majority of armed robbers do not kill their victims. Citing one example out of many tens of thousands - especially when that example is in the tiny minority - and using it as a basis for any ABSOLUTE decisions is simply bad decision making based on bad analysis...

Note that I am not necessarily advocating compliance - I am advocating THINKING. Each situation is unique, and your decisions must be based on the totality of the circumstances if they are to be your best decisions. Assuming that because at the absolute most 1 in 20 robbers kills their victims (and this number is actually much, much lower) you MUST adopt one course of action, and one course of action only, is rigidity for the sake of rigidity, and is not good decision making. If your goal is to survive the encounter, then compliance MAY be a viable option...
    +1; Assess, act, reasses

Each situation is unique and has to be handeled as such. The worst thing you can do is force a shooting situation and someone other than you gets shot in a situation that would not otherwise have resulted in any shots being fired.
    There is not good answer before you are in the situation; you just have to make the best judgement call you can at the time.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    One reason I want ammo that will penetrate the door of my car.....
    Corbon DPX!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I am not going to negotiate for my life based on the bad guys terms.

If I die, it will be because of my poor decision if that's the case, but it'll be my decision and not his.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links