Former Oklahoma Gov. George Nigh robbed outside home

This is a discussion on Former Oklahoma Gov. George Nigh robbed outside home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NewsOK As the couple kneeled with their backs to the robber, the man told Nigh to hand over his wallet and not to look at ...

Thread: Former Oklahoma Gov. George Nigh robbed outside home

Former Oklahoma Gov. George Nigh robbed outside home

NewsOK

As the couple kneeled with their backs to the robber, the man told Nigh to hand over his wallet and not to look at him, Oklahoma City police Master Sgt. Gary Knight said. Nigh told police held up his wallet, along with the $300 inside.
    The former governor says on the video that detectives said he did the right thing. Is kneeling with your back to a man with a gun really the best thing to do?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Where are the 'security snipers' when you need them?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    NewsOK

The former governor says on the video that detectives said he did the right thing. Is kneeling with your back to a man with a gun really the best thing to do?

Michael
    Only when you live through it.

Toss the dice....

If, and when, this exact same thing happens to a member here who has told his/her own story the responses have been same.

Comments being basically; 'You survived it and that's what is important'.
    An incident of similar occurred just this past winter to a member here who told his tale first person.

When I read storys and the police make such statements to victims and/or the public my interpretation of that is generally along the lines of well you survived and that's what's best.

They same as folk here tend not to admonish a person for not taking other active measures upon being victimized.
    I mean what else are the police going to say to a victim aside from nothing at all?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    What do you guys think about his perspective on death threats while he was in office? Do you consider it brave for not wanting to allow terrorists to affect his plans/goals, or stupid for not wanting to be informed and knowledgable to be able to be aware and protect himself? In his case, he actually did have several people responsible for his safety at the time... Not that I would ever fully relinquish that responsibility.

quote: "When I became governor, I told my security that if there ever was a death threat on me whatsoever, they were not to tell me about it," he said. "I didn't want to know about it because I was not going to change my venue over something like that. Now there were several times when we were at something and extra security would show up, which was a clue. But during my eight years, I don't really remember any death threats."
    Walk softly ...

It's to my eye neither brave nor stupid.

He's the then governor, not Joe Blow like your or I.
    By default and state law he's going to have a security detail that travles with him to ensure his _security_ as 24/7.
    He choosing to not know the details of his security situation and by that threat level is nothing. His knowing would not have made him any safer. See Ronald Reagan. Nor would not knowing have made him any more in danger. See the Pope among very many others.

As when he was governor he was going to be protected period and regardless.
    He knew that then and knows same now.
    If he had specifically mandated that no security detail be assigned to him...That then would have been both brave AND stupid.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

On my knees? It ain't happening.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If, and when, this exact same thing happens to a member here who has told his/her own story the responses have been same.

Comments being basically; 'You survived it and that's what is important'.
    An incident of similar occurred just this past winter to a member here who told his tale first person.

When I read storys and the police make such statements to victims and/or the public my interpretation of that is generally along the lines of well you survived and that's what's best.

They same as folk here tend not to admonish a person for not taking other active measures upon being victimized.
    I mean what else are the police going to say to a victim aside from nothing at all?

- Janq
    I do see your point. Maybe the police were implying that. I could be reading it wrong. I took it that they were saying to lie back and take it. Like they were telling other potential victims this is how to react. I hope your interpretation is the correct one.

I might have over reacted when he told the police how he was forced to turn his back to his attacker and get on his knees. To me that is preparation for a shot to the back of the head. That is where my mind was at when I posted.

Michael

At 82 yrs old and unarmed you don't have many options but to roll the dice. That's why I like options. He survived this one, wonder if he will consider expanding his options now?

FWIW, the cops really can't tell you to shoot the DB, so their hands get tied in what they can say. I don't like it either. I'll take it into consideration, but the immediate circumstances of a situation will be what I make my decision based on.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I do see your point. Maybe the police were implying that. I could be reading it wrong. I took it that they were saying to lie back and take it. Like they were telling other potential victims this is how to react. I hope your interpretation is the correct one.

I might have over reacted when he told the police how he was forced to turn his back to his attacker and get on his knees. To me that is preparation for a shot to the back of the head. That is where my mind was at when I posted.

Michael
    In kind I'm just saying that is how I myself think of these matters and LEO comments, in general.
    I very well could be wrong in specific (here) and in general broadly.
    I'd just rather think to give the police in general the benefit of a doubt until or unless they prove themself to be total fools, as in a specific case, by action or words spoken.

Also I agree with you 100%.
    If ever a person says turn around and/or go to your knees...My mind upon hearing that command would be nothing good can come of this.
    It's do or die trying time.
    But that's me.

This man is as reported 82 yrs. old...Unarmed...And with his wife who I assume he cares for.
    I'm less than half his age, fit, healthy and unlike him I wouldn't have a mental issue with doing another man physical harm if he'd try to hurt me or mine.
    Everyones case is different. It's not fair to hold others to our own standards as they may fit us best in our own minds per optimal conditions (carry a gun, knife, OC/CS, and be youthful too).

At times we just have to give a person some latitude as well as respect.
    IMHO this is one of those times...Unlike say that guy from yesterday who risked his family and got himself killed over a Craigslist ad.
    That's just down right dumb. Very sad, but dumb. : |

Differences.

- Janq

Very lucky to be alive.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links