Lexington KY Metro Officer killed

This is a discussion on Lexington KY Metro Officer killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; this department is about 20 minutes away from ours, i know a few of the officers that work there, very very sad story. http://www.kentucky.com/2010/04/30/1...rylink=addthis LEX18 ...

Thread: Lexington KY Metro Officer killed

this department is about 20 minutes away from ours, i know a few of the officers that work there, very very sad story.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/04/30/1...rylink=addthis

LEX18 | Lexington, KY | News, Weather, Sports, Kentucky | Funeral Set For Slain Lexington Police Officer; Vigil Planned For Sunday

Funeral arrangements have been set and a candlelight vigil is planned for a Lexington Police officer who was killed by a hit and run driver Thursday night while on duty.

Officer Bryan J. Durman, 27, was investigating a call about loud music coming from a car shortly after 10 p.m. at the intersection of Alabama and North Limestone in downtown Lexington when he was struck by an SUV, which then hit two cars, slowed and then sped off.

Police located the man they say was driving the maroon Chevy Tahoe that hit Durman a short time later. Officers arrested Glen Doneghy, 33, early Friday morning after a standoff at an apartment building along Northland Avenue.

Visitation for Durman will be from 3 p.m.- 8 p.m. on Monday Monday at Southland Christian Church's Building E. Funeral services will be held at noon Tuesday at the same location, followed by burial at Bluegrass Memorial Gardens.

Durman's family has requested contributions be made to the Fraternal Order of Police Bluegrass Lodge #4.

In cooperation with LEX 18 and Cumulus Radio, contributions can also be made to the Bryan J. Durman Memorial Fund at any 5/3 Bank location.

Also, a candlelight vigil for Durman will be held on Sunday from 8 p.m. - 9 p.m. at the North Limestone Neighborhood Association, located in the 600 block of North Limestone in Lexington.

Officials pronounced Durman dead at 10:46 p.m.

Police say that around 11:45 p.m., officers spotted a vehicle matching the description of the SUV that hit Durman parked behind an apartment building at 309 Northland Drive. After further investigation, policed obtained a search warrant for the suspect's apartment. Around 12:30 a.m., the police Emergency Response Unit entered the building and arrested Doneghy.

Doneghy faces a laundry list of charges, including first degree murder, assault charges related to his arrest, and possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Police say they believe Doneghy was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

According to the jail Website, Doneghy has a long criminal history dating back to 1995.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family. I hope they throw the book at the driver who struck him and then fled.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

heres a link to the pos that killed this fine officer, as you can tell from his history this guy was a grade a piece of work

Division of Community Corrections
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I got the UK alert from UKPD this morning, very sad. No one deserves to go out like that. I'm sorry to hear this and will keep his family in my thoughts. Is there anything happening on campus in response to this?
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I know his sister. She works for the division of Comm Corrections. Very sad. I also know the piece of $$$& that killed him. He is classified as a mental health inmate when incarcerated. Hope this doesn't help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I got the UK alert from UKPD this morning, very sad. No one deserves to go out like that. I'm sorry to hear this and will keep his family in my thoughts. Is there anything happening on campus in response to this?
    im not for sure if anything on campus
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I know his sister. She works for the division of Comm Corrections. Very sad. I also know the piece of $$$& that killed him. He is classified as a mental health inmate when incarcerated. Hope this doesn't help him.
    i still believe the guy will recieve a 999 year sentence ( I know its an odd sentence but thats how they do it), the only thing with him being mental is it might get him out of the death penalty
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

I sincerely hope this man( I use the term loosely) receives due punishment.

We have no problem putting down rabid dogs,time we started including people in that thought process,I watch Gangland on TV and IMHO every member that belongs to a criminal gang needs to be exterminated like the cancer they are
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My deepest condolence to the Officer’s family.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Damn! We're losing a lot of officers lately!

Prayers for the family and friends.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsored Links