Bad : Teen Shot in the Head

This is a discussion on Bad : Teen Shot in the Head within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not much information as of yet, the kids were from Missouri. Didn't say why they are in this region. Probable scenario is that they were ...

Thread: Bad : Teen Shot in the Head

Thumbs down Bad : Teen Shot in the Head

Not much information as of yet, the kids were from Missouri. Didn't say why they are in this region. Probable scenario is that they were left unattended by parents or other adults, one kid found the handgun and then things got bad. If this is true, the parents were negligent in leaving a loaded handgun in close proximity to kids. Nothing ever comes out good in cases like this.

On the other hand, they could be gang members and got into an argument over money/ drugs /who knows what, whipped out the guns and had a shoot out.

Child shot in the head at Route 60 hotel
    May 01, 2010 @ 07:49 AM

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON,WV — West Virginia State Police in Huntington are investigating the shooting of a 13-year-old boy who was shot in the head late Friday night at a hotel on Route 60.
    According to state police, authorities responded to the incident at 11 p.m. inside a room at the Red Roof Inn in Huntington. The juvenile was transported to Cabell Huntington Hospital with life threatening injuries.

State police said the victim’s 14-year-old brother and 13-year-old friend were in the room at the time of the shooting. All three children, whose names are not being released because of their ages, are from Independence, Mo.

The investigating is ongoing.
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...Route-60-hotel
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; May 1st, 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add link
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Not good...what are three young teens doing in a motel room with a gun and no adult supervision?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thumbs down Bad Update : Teen Shooting Victim Dies

The teen who was shot by accident has died. This just shows that you never leave a loaded handgun in proximity to any kids. I bet the Brady's will jump all over this to show just how bad gun owners really are. We know that we are all not like this guy, but he sure gives the responsible folks a bad name.

The article is vague in one area. You can read it both ways, it doesn't totally say the uncle had the firearm. It can also be read that the boy had it in his belongings and pulled it out when the uncle left.

Now they have to live with this mistake and unfortunately lives have been changed in ways nobody wanted.

Juvenile shooting victim dies
    May 02, 2010 @ 11:40 PM

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON, WV -- A 13-year-old boy who was shot Friday at Red Roof Inn in Huntington has died, according to a nursing supervisor at Cabell Huntington Hospital.

West Virginia State Police in Huntington are investigating the shooting of the boy, who was shot in the head late Friday night at the hotel on U.S. 60. The juvenile was transported to Cabell Huntington Hospital and died there Saturday night.

State Police Trooper S.N. Swope said the victim and his 14-year-old brother were traveling with an uncle, who had left the boys, along with a 13-year-old friend, alone in the hotel room while he went to pick up friends Friday night.

Swope said the older boy pulled out a gun he had packed in his belongings and was trying to unload it when the gun fired, striking the younger teen in the head
    . All three children, whose names are not being released because of their ages, are from Independence, Mo

Juvenile shooting victim dies - The Herald Dispatch
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; May 3rd, 2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: add phrase

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not good...what are three young teens doing in a motel room with a gun and no adult supervision?
    Good question
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Why was a gun that was "packed in the belongings" loaded in the first place?

Reads like the kid had the gun. But we all know the media is not the best source of accurate info.

This is why I want to teach my kids gun safety. If the kid had the gun there is no way the uncle could protect them. Kids do dumb things. Hopefully teaching my kids can convince them to get out of a situation like this or at least take control and know what they are doing. I know I have taken firearms from friends and family to unload them myself for this very reason.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

This is a shame and a crime, someone needs to answer for this one!
    Sounds like my tag line below about sums this one up!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thumbs down Still Bad: Final Update

Tragic and sad. Serves as a reminder to always be in control of your firearms.

Fatal weekend shooting of teen ruled an accident
    May 04, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON, WV -- West Virginia State Police has ruled that a fatal weekend shooting was an accident, according to First Sgt. J.B. Utt.

A 13-year-old boy from Independence, Mo., died from injuries sustained in a Friday shooting at the Red Roof Inn along U.S. 60 near Pea Ridge. He was in the room with his 14-year-old brother and a 13-year-old friend.

State Police believe the older boy pulled out a gun packed in the traveling group's belongings. It mistakenly fired as he tried to unload the weapon.

No one was taken into custody and no immediate charges were filed, Utt said.

The teens had been traveling with an uncle, who had left the boys alone in the hotel room while he went to pick up friends Friday night.

All three teens were from Independence, but police have not released their names or the name of the victim.

KMBC television in Kansas City reported Sunday that the boys' mother was traveling to West Virginia

Links