Apparent Car Bomb in New York's Times Square

This is a discussion on Apparent Car Bomb in New York's Times Square within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Probe Failed Car Bomb in Times Square Apparently, an SUV contained bomb material that failed to detonate correctly. Police Probe Failed Car Bomb in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparent Car Bomb in New York's Times Square

Apparent Car Bomb in New York's Times Square

Police Probe Failed Car Bomb in Times Square

Apparently, an SUV contained bomb material that failed to detonate correctly.

Police Probe Failed Car Bomb in Times Square

Police tipped off by an alert street vendor have found and defused a car bomb parked in New York's Times Square, one of the city's most popular tourist destinations.

New York governor David Paterson described the car bomb as an "act of terrorism" while Mayor Michael Bloomberg told a news conference that "we have no idea who did this or why".

Mr Bloomberg said the failed bomb - made of propane, gasoline and fireworks - appeared to have been made in an amateurish manner.

And Mr Bloomberg praised the quick response by the New York Police Department.

"We are very lucky. Thanks to alert New Yorkers and professional police officers, we avoided what could have been a very deadly event," he said.

Mr Bloomberg said an alert T-shirt vendor noticed "an unoccupied suspicious vehicle" and alerted a mounted New York police officer, who observed the SUV had smoke emerging from vents near the back seat and smelled of gun powder.

The incident caused the evacuation of Times Square, which was packed with tourists and theater-goers on a busy Saturday night.

New York governor David Paterson described the car bomb as an "act of terrorism".

"Luckily no-one is hurt and now the full attention of city, state and federal law enforcement will be turned to bringing the guilty party to justice in this act of terrorism," he said in a statement.

'Quick action'

The bomb was discovered in a dark green Nissan Pathfinder parked on 45th Street and Broadway with its engine running and hazard lights flashing, authorities said.

It had Connecticut license plates that did not match the vehicle.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said police bomb technicians removed and dismantled three propane tanks, consumer-grade fireworks, two gasoline containers and two clocks apparently used as timers, along with electrical wire and other components in the rear of the vehicle.

New York has remained on high alert since the September 11, 2001 attacks in which hijacked airliners toppled the World Trade Centre's twin towers.

Last year police said they thwarted a plot to bomb the New York subway system. Two men have pleaded guilty in the case.

US president Barack Obama commended the "quick action" by New York police in dealing with the incident and said the New York Police Department had done "excellent work" in responding.

A New York police officer, who did not give his name because he was not authorised to speak to the media, said a man was seen fleeing the car and that Times Square was evacuated in case there were other devices.

In Washington, FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said the Joint Terrorism Task Force had responded along with the NYPD.

Times Square was eerily empty for several blocks on Saturday night, the busiest night of the week on the Great White Way as tourists and theatregoers watched from behind barricades as anti-terrorism units swarmed the scene.

Memories of 9/11

Don Slovin, watching the police through the window of a souvenir shop a block from the SUV, said, "Of course it conjures up memories of 9/11".

The SUV was parked very close to a production of the show The Lion King on 45th Street. Women in evening gowns were among the crowd on one of the warmest nights of the year and the busiest night of the week for Broadway theatres.

"It's New York. If you're from New York you just get used to it," said Creswell Rudolph, 37, a bank security guard stationed a block from the SUV. "It could have been a lot worse."

"With this, it's just lucky they found it in time. Thank God for that."

Vehicle and pedestrian traffic was very heavy on streets outside the evacuation zone, including Sixth and Eighth Avenues. All intersections in the area were blocked by police and fire department vehicles, lights flashing.

Police allowed some people to enter theatres to view Broadway shows in the vicinity but later blocked other theatregoers from entering. Some hotel guests were allowed back to their rooms. Some Broadway shows were allowed to go on.

Police shut down Times Square from 43rd Street to 48th Street between Sixth and Eight Avenues.

Tourists in the area expressed annoyance and amusement. Nam Vu, 24, said he had arrived by bus in New York at 8am from Canada and was prevented from meeting a friend at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square.

"I feel like I'm on a TV show," he said. "Where is [actor] Denzel Washington?"

- Reuters
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I saw that on Fox News this morning. You'd figure with the 100,000 cameras they have in Times Square that they'd be able to figure out who it is really quick. Thank god it didn't go off though. That could have been nasty.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I saw that on Fox News this morning. You'd figure with the 100,000 cameras they have in Times Square that they'd be able to figure out who it is really quick. Thank god it didn't go off though. That could have been nasty.
    I agree. I just heard on the news that they were able to recover fingerprints from the bomb components.

This has been my biggest fear...that the car bombs and other tactics used in other countries by terrorists would find there way to our shores.

I see people get out of cars and leave them running all the time here in Metro Detroit (I know pretty stupid) especially in the winter. I guess the smoke coming out of the back would have put me on alert and I would have made the 911 call. But a car running unattended may not have been an alarm for me.

This is one reason why I love my job. I rarely work in the same location more than 3 or 4 days in a row. I've always loved to work downtown, but in these days and times, downtown and other places with a high concentration of people are red zones for me. I never go to concerts and haven't been to the movies in years. I do enjoy the summer outdoor art fairs, but that's the biggest crowd I'm willing to be in.

I hope they get the nut case that did this.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It's just a matter of time, but I don't see it being foreign, I see it being domestic fools personally.

I'm glad it didn't go off and all is good.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Good thing the t-shirt guy was alert....but now Bloomberg can check to see if he had a valid vendors permit to sell those shirts.....ah-hah....that's how to catch illegals Mayor Mike! Seriously.....impression of security. If this doesn't show you what one person can do...be alert. Good job Mr Tee shirt!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Street Vendor + Cops Avert Terrorist Attack- TIMES SQUARE

Always here a lot of stuff against NYC here, but both the cops and New Yorkers don't let BGs stop them for long. Within a short time of the start of this cops has safely evacuated to safe areas hundreds of thousands in the heart of Times Sq on a Sat. night. And one vet T-Shirt salesman began the whole thing:

Time Square car bomb:
    Cops evacuate heart of
    NYC after 'potential
    terrorist attack'

DAILY NEWS

Three heroic cops and a quick-thinking street
    vendor stopped a madman from detonating a car
    bomb in the heart of Times Square Saturday night,
    law enforcement officials told the Daily News.

"It looked like someone tried to detonate it and we

got to it in time," a police source said. "This is a big
    deal. It has the makings of a real car bomb."

The federal government views the incident a
    "potential terrorist attack," Homeland Security
    Secretary Janet Napolitano said Sunday.

"We're taking this very seriously," Napolitano told
    CNN's "State of the Union" program. "We're treating it
    as if it could be a potential terrorist attack."

Cops evacuated and shut down the Times Square are
    Saturday night, but all streets were reopened by 7:
    30 a.m. Sunday.

The T-shirt vendor - a Vietnam vet - told Officer
    Wayne Rhatigan there was smoke coming from a
    Nissan SUV on the southwest corner of 45th St. and
    Broadway about 6:30 p.m., sources said.

Rhatigan approached the car, saw the smoke and
    sprang into action.

"I did a lap around the vehicle. The inside was
    smoking," Rhatigan told the Daily News. "I smelled
    gunpowder and knew it might blow. I thought it
    might blow any second."

He alerted two rookie female cops patrolling the
    area. Together, they pushed hundreds of people
    away from the scene as they called for backup, he
    said.

The Fire Department and bomb squad rushed to the
    scene.

What they found was stunning: a running SUV
    packed with three propane tanks, two red 5-gallon
    plastic jugs of gasoline, a clock, electrical
    components and a canister of gunpowder, police
    sources said.

"We are very lucky," Mayor Bloomberg said at a 2:00 AM
    early morning press conference at the scene, still in
    the tuxedo and red bow tie he wore to the White
    House Correspondents Dinner in Washington.
    "Thanks to alert New Yorkers and professional
    police officers we avoided what could have been a
    very deadly event."

"The full attention of city, state and federal law
    enforcement will be turned to bringing the guilty
    party to justice in this act of terrorism," Gov.
    Paterson said in a statement.

Police spokesman Paul Browne said cops were
    investigating a report that someone was seen
    running from the vehicle at some point and are
    reviewing security videotapes.

"It looks as if the perp was trying to light it up, and
    was interrupted by the cops, panicked and took off,"
    a law enforcement source said.

Cops began evacuating the Crossroads of the World
    as the bomb squad used a robot to get inside the
    car.

Attached Images

What they found was stunning: a running SUV packed with three propane tanks, two red 5-gallon plastic jugs of gasoline, a clock, electrical components and a canister of gunpowder, police sources said.
    Not exactly exotic or sophisticated, but in the middle of a crowded area like Times Square it could harm any number of people within a small area. A few dozen dead and a hundred injured might be exactly what the person was looking for. But I can't see anywhere near that number being harmed by these components, even if they went off perfectly well.

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    This has been my biggest fear...that the car bombs and other tactics used in other countries by terrorists would find there way to our shores.
    It has, at least with bombings. Centennial Park bombing during the Olympic Games in Atlanta, 1996. World Trade Center in New York, 1993. Oklahoma City, 1995. Various bombings of medical clinics and night clubs.

The only question is, given the porous borders and relatively open society: why it hasn't happened more frequently.

Think Mcveigh on a smaller scale,even tho high concentrates of ammonium nitrate fertiliser is now closely monitored,I'm sure the security at warehouses that may store it isn't all that great,It's only a matter of time,I don't access any type of anti government websites but I'm sure there are threats that the gubment deals with every day
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    It's just a matter of time, but I don't see it being foreign, I see it being domestic fools personally.

I'm glad it didn't go off and all is good.
    When ever I think of terrorist I think of a Foreigner and I know im always suprised when its domestic but it always saddens me to see Americans attacking there fellow citizens in this manner Ive always looked at us as one team and its hard to believe it would be local but this Nation is more polerized than ever
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Not exactly exotic or sophisticated, but in the middle of a crowded area like Times Square it could harm any number of people within a small area.
    They said today the thing was in a 70lb gun case, so that would have had a shrapnel effect of some kind. Thankfully they didn't have to find out.

Anytime, anyplace, any crazy and/or organized terrorist group can park a truck filled with dynamite and a timer. The only good thing is they keep trying to hit NYC, which has more anti-terrorist units and trained police in the NYPD than the Feds almost. A mid-size or small city at a mall - forget it. And even NYPD can't stop everything forever. Maybe this will stop Washington from cutting federal funds help for cities' ant-terrorist cops - which is really stupid.

When ever I think of terrorist I think of a Foreigner and I know im always suprised when its domestic but it always saddens me to see Americans attacking there fellow citizens in this manner Ive always looked at us as one team and its hard to believe it would be local but this Nation is more polerized than ever
    I think we're all together when the chips are down, (though 24 cable creates a lot more screaming than it used to or is healthy - any viewpoint being able to have it's own network nowadays).

This isn't from polarization. That's IRA terrorism or Quebec separatist mail-box-bombings and such. This kind of stuff is either individual craziness and fanaticism influenced psychologically by whatever radical group is in the news at the moment, here or abroad - or an actual member of a foreign terrorist group acting on a plan (could be an American who trained there or a foreigner). One is a loner for all practical purposes, and one is terrorist acting on a foreign group's behalf.

Remains to be seen which it is for this NYC incident.

The Taliban are claiming responsibility for the device.

Glad everything worked out ok. Good job by the T-Shirt vendor and the PD.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The Taliban are claiming responsibility for the device.
    I'm sure they feel they're inspiring people around the world to act out with heinous crimes of cowardice and murder, and in that sense I suppose they've got a point. But the simple nature of the combustibles (not explosives) used in this thing would suggest an unaffiliated amateur, obviously so, it seems to me.

The FBI will surely have a basic profile drawn up by now. At some point, I'm sure we'll hear about what that is.

With all the hooplah over the law Arizona passed this weekend, I wonder if it could be linked to a radical kook who supports amnesty for illegals? People screaming fascist and Nazi because of a law that mirrors federal law already on the books. They should be thankful that they never met a Nazi( I know I am). Sorry, didn't mean to rant or hijack this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links