Man in Argument Killed by Passer-By

This is a discussion on Man in Argument Killed by Passer-By within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; All the details aren't in yet - but it looks like the shooter may be charged. A very good lesson in being careful in how ...

Thread: Man in Argument Killed by Passer-By

All the details aren't in yet - but it looks like the shooter may be charged. A very good lesson in being careful in how one should get involved with altercations.

from FL Times Union

Police: Man in argument killed by passer-by

Posted: May 1, 2010 - 10:03pm

A man who was arguing in Normandy Boulevard with three women he knew ended up dead Saturday evening, shot by a stranger who stopped to break up the disturbance.

Joseph Scott, 23, was shot about 6:30 p.m., just east of Interstate 295 on the Westside.

Scott was arguing with the women and the other man stopped because he apparently thought the women were in trouble, said Sgt. Scott Dingee of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

The two men then got into an altercation, and Scott was shot. Scott was taken to Shands Jacksonville hospital and pronounced dead shortly after the shooting, Dingee said.

Dingee did not identify the shooter, but said he was in custody and detectives were planning to speak with him Saturday night. He said police would present the case to the State Attorney’s Office to determine if criminal charges would be filed.

Dingee would not comment on how many times the shooter fired, nor on how many times Scott was hit.

He said he could not say why Scott and the women were arguing, nor did he discuss the relationship between Scott and the women.

A white pickup truck with damage to the front end was stopped next to a pool of blood at the foot of a driveway leading into a strip mall parking lot on the 7800 block of Normandy Boulevard.

Lawrence Parker said he was on his way to the Food Lion across Normandy from the shooting when police diverted all traffic to another parking lot. He said he saw the victim on the ground and paramedics trying to revive him.

“It didn’t look like he was going to make it,” Parker said.

matt.galnor@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4550
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Why you never try to play cop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Unless someone is in imminent danger it's better to be a good witness. Lots of info missing from the story. Was there a weapon? Had the argument become physical? Sometimes just saying something to a group that are arguing with each other can escalate the situation.

Hopefully more info will be forthcoming.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

This is why you don't get involved in a situation where you don't know the circumstances...call 911...be a good witness.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    The man didnt know the law and he will suffer for it.

No amount of verbal abuse will justify a shoot. We have all heard the phrase" sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me"...well anyone over 40 has.

As long as it is verbal, you wont be able to articulate that you felt their life was in danger. In a justifiable third party shoot, you must be in fear for their life and the offender must have the means to enact it or be in the act of assault.

Arguing and cussing aint gonna cut it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

No matter how bad it may have looked, it's going to look much worse through 'bars'...

Stay armed...don't be a cop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The man didnt know the law and he will suffer for it.

No amount of verbal abuse will justify a shoot. We have all heard the phrase" sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me"...well anyone over 40 has.

As long as it is verbal, you wont be able to articulate that you felt their life was in danger. In a justifiable third party shoot, you must be in fear for their life and the offender must have the means to enact it or be in the act of assault.

Arguing and cussing aint gonna cut it.

The details there are pretty vague. All it says is there was an altercation between the 2 men. For all you know it started verbally and then the guy that was shot pulled a knife and rushed the shooter. Really hard to judge without more details.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    This is why I question some that has CPLs. To many wannabe police that can't wait to use their gun in "something"

I don't get involve in things unless I'm forced to be involved.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Only fools and police walk into a domestic situation. The police have to, but fools don't know any better.

You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid!

In my past life as an LEO, I used my weapon other than at the range only twice. Have been cc carrying for about 25 years and have used my weapon other than the range not even once, but I avoid any situations that might be questionable if I can.

Feel sorry for both the shooter and the victim. The guy probably argued with these women as a regular course of their relationship, nothing out of the ordinary for them?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Don't know the complete details, but from the story posted, this shooting was not justified in any way.

I'll wait for more details

VIP Member
    Yikes!!!!
    Definitely need more info.
    Don't know if the dead guy was on the verge of assaulting one of the women or what in H E Double hockeysticks was going on.
    Even then, its tough to say what to do, unless it gets really bad
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sounds like the shooter in this case could possibly be the aggressor. Of course, like usual, there are a lot of details missing.

If its not a forcible felony, pick up the GD phone and let the pros handle it.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Here's the scenario I see.

Case in point appears to be a fender bender. Man is berating women, using threatening appearance and behavior. Dude stops to say "can I help". Other dude approaches good samaritan threateningly saying "you keep your f-ing nose out of this you f-ing m-ther f-er!" and maybe even gets physical.

Good Samaritan shoots scumbag. Cops, because somebody got shot, and they're none too bright, decides since someone got shot, someone needs to go to jail, to cover their own butts.

People on internet forum who don't know any details proceed to trash good samaritan.

I'd say that's a fairly likely scenario here. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sponsored Links