Very Bad:Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock

This is a discussion on Very Bad:Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock By STEFANIE THOMAS Updated: 05.06.10 SUMMERWOOD - Four armed men attempted to rob a woman and her 16-year-old ...

Thread: Very Bad:Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock

Very Bad:Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock

Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock

By STEFANIE THOMAS
    Updated: 05.06.10
    SUMMERWOOD - Four armed men attempted to rob a woman and her 16-year-old daughter at a fake roadblock on Woodson Park near West Lake Houston Parkway in Summerwood April 22.

According to Harris County Sheriff’s Office District 2 robbery investigator Sgt. R. Minchew, the victims were on their way home around 10:20 p.m. when they came upon traffic cones blocking the roadway near a construction zone.

“When the victims slowed down at the cones they were confronted by four suspects armed with a shotgun and a handgun,” Minchew said. “One of the suspects broke the windows out of the car with his shotgun and demanded that the victims get out of the car. Another suspect attempted to break out the passenger side window with a handgun.”

Minchew said the woman put her car in reverse and managed to get away. One of the suspects, he said, fired a shot at the victim’s car.

In five years of investigating robberies in the Humble, Atascocita, Huffman and Spring areas, Minchew said he has never seen a case where suspects set up a fake roadblock.

“This is very unusual,” he said. “Usually suspects use the same [mode of operation] until they get caught, but to my knowledge there hasn’t been another case like this in the county.”

The suspects, he said, appear to target women specifically. At least two men were allowed to pass the barrier prior to the woman’s arrival.

“One of the men moved the cones and drove through, and another just drove right over them,” Minchew said. “It looks like they waited for a woman to come along.”

The roadblock was set up in a heavily wooded area with a lot of construction nearby. The victim did not observe any vehicles in the vicinity.

“We don’t know where the suspects parked or even if they had a vehicle,” Minchew said, “but we don’t have any evidence that they live in the neighborhood, either.”

The first suspect was described as a black male, 18 to 25 years old, wearing black clothing and a black and white bandana over the lower part of his face, and armed with a sawed-off shotgun.

The second suspect was described as a white or Hispanic male, 18 to 25 years old, same clothing description, armed with a silver or chrome colored handgun with a long barrel. There is no description on the other two suspects.

Minchew urged drivers to be alert and use caution when approaching a roadblock.

“If there are no signs that say ‘detour’ or ‘road closed’, either turn around or just drive over the cones,” he said. “Then call law enforcement and check if it is a legitimate roadblock.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock > Atascocita Observer > News > Houston Community Newspapers Online - News Around Town

This area is about five minutes from where I live and I am upset.

2. Remove Ads

Oh wow... That's crazy. Makes me glad my girlfriend is working to get her license to carry.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Great, so now when ever I see cones on the road, get ready for a fight. What is this world coming too?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Hope these guy's get popped by a CHL holder.

VIP Member

False road blocks

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock

In five years of investigating robberies in the Humble, Atascocita, Huffman and Spring areas, Minchew said he has never seen a case where suspects set up a fake roadblock.
    These things are relatively uncommon these days though I know they happened with some frequency when I was a kid.

There is much better patrolling and much faster response time nowadays, especially in semi-rural and rural areas, so anyone trying that stunt runs a decent enough chance of stopping a patrol car.

It is a fools crime, but a good reason to stay armed at night, and when out of town--if not always. Also, a good reason why a "carjacker" style holster isn't such a bad idea at night and out in the sticks.

That is crazy!! another reason to ALWAYS be aware of what's going on around you. And why I carry a BIG something extra in my car in addition to my .357 sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Great, so now when ever I see cones on the road, get ready for a fight. What is this world coming too?
    We've always been at risk. The thought simply doesn't occur to most folks.

It should.

“This is very unusual,” he said. “Usually suspects use the same [mode of operation] until they get caught, but to my knowledge there hasn’t been another case like this in the county.”
    Unusual or not, it's simple to achieve.

The real question is why we haven't seen such things before ... everywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is all we need now, putting our weapons on the seat whenever we see a road block. Might a well equip our cars like Mad Max!
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

VIP Member

Highwaymen re: ccw9mm

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The real question is why we haven't seen such things before ... everywhere.
    As I wrote earlier, this sort of crime wasn't at all uncommon in the past.

Although the term "highwaymen" might bring back visions of Stagecoach robberies, these sort of crimes have happened well into modernity.

I think "highway robbery" is unusual nowadays because of a combination of factors; good roads, CB/Cell Phone, much better police presence on the roads, much better police communications than in the past.

As I wrote earlier, except in the most out of the way places, anyone pulling this stunt runs a fair risk that the next car coming down the road will be a patrol car. Or that the car coming from the other direction will be a patrol car. Or since cc has become more common place, someone who is armed.

Links