Boy shot and killed in alleged robbery attempt

This is a discussion on Boy shot and killed in alleged robbery attempt within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed and two other teens wounded as gunfire erupted inside a Cherokee County café this morning when armed employees ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy shot and killed in alleged robbery attempt

Boy shot and killed in alleged robbery attempt

A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed and two other teens wounded as gunfire erupted inside a Cherokee County café this morning when armed employees took on three robbery suspects, a sheriff’s captain said.

The suspects entered Sonny’s Café at 1103 Cherokee Ave. around 3 a.m. and robbed the employees, said Capt. Tim Hartman. Two employees were armed with handguns, he said, and the shooting started as the suspects were about to leave.

Deputies found two weapons used by the suspects and believe a third was used but not yet found, Hartman said.

All three suspects were shot, he said. One 16-year-old ran to a house on 6th street and died. His identity is being withheld pending notification of his family.

A second suspect, an 18-year-old man, ran away and then was taken to Mary Black Hospital in a private car, Hartman said. Deputies arrested him at the hospital. The suspect, whose name could not immediately be confirmed by warrants, is being held in the Cherokee County Detention Center on a charge of armed robbery, Hartman said.

A third suspect was treated by EMS and taken to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center for surgery. He is 16 but will be charged as an adult with armed robbery, Hartman said.

The café was robbed Wednesday, and a suspect was arrested and charged with armed robbery in that incident, Hartman said.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

2. Remove Ads

wow. criminals are getting younger and younger. i wonder what the parents of the dead boy will have to say. if they're either gonna be mad at their kid for being a criminal or mad at the store clerks for defending themselves against the criminals...

It's sad that anyone has to lose a child, but you have to answer for the choices you make in this life!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    wow. criminals are getting younger and younger. i wonder what the parents of the dead boy will have to say. if they're either gonna be mad at their kid for being a criminal or mad at the store clerks for defending themselves against the criminals...
    2 guesses and the first one doesn't count.

I find it interesting that two employees were carrying.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

A dirtbag is a dirtbag, at 16 or 56..."Hang 'em high"...

Congrats to the employees...I'm sure that they saved some lives down the road that these three criminals were headed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

About a year ago, some kids were caught inside a house that my mother owned. They were charged with B&E, trespassing, criminal damage, and so forth. In the end, they were only nailed with the trespassing violation.

I saw in the paper the other day that one of them is up on burglary charges now, and he's an adult now, as well.

Most of them never change, and it's sad that they never get a chance to learn the better things in life. They don't learn accountability 'till it's too late to save them.

My sympathies to the family of the dead perp, but they probably should have spent more time teaching their child right.

Daryl

Distinguished Member
    It's sad that anyone had to lose their life but if you are grown up enough to commit armed robbery, you are old enough to pay the consequences.

You know the boys mommas are going to say they were murdered when they were leaving, and there was no reason to shoot them. They were all three good boys, who never hurt anyone.
    Then the Family is goning to be on on TV during the Funeral, all crying, showing and whipped into a rage at how those senseless armed Cafe Employees are going to be charged with Murder if they have anything to say about it.
    Their poor defensless children were victims pf circumstance and should be alllowed to sue the Cafe Workers in Civil Court for damages. And the mean Cafe Owner will face bankrupcy for allowing his Employees to be arned while working.

Those poor poor Dirtbags are going to be rich.
    Well two of them, the other one got an Early Retirement with the Dirt Nap Retirement Gift. But, his Famlily will be set for life!

Personally I think the Employees need better handguns and close quarters training so the the next time, all three will get five steps out the door to h*ll.

Jesus is tenderly waiting, and watching, calling all Sinners to come home!
    One more for the fire!

The details aren't clear from the post regarding exactly what was going on when the employees opened fire. In justification of lethal force terms for a regular citizen (employee in their workplace might be different, not sure legally), if an attacker has withdrawn from the fight and is attempting to flee such that the citizen is no longer in imminent threat of harm, firing might no longer be justified. However, if the attackers were still in the store waving guns around, they were still a threat and therefore subject to lethal force....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    Their poor defenseless children were victims pf circumstance and should be allowed to sue the Cafe Workers in Civil Court for damages.
    It would appear that they were not defenseless since all or most of them had guns of their own.

The parents are gonna have to wrap their arms around the fact that their babies were armed robbers and screw the lawsuit.

In my State they would be banned from filing a lawsuit!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A sad story, but happening more often nowadays.

This seems to be the way many of our youth today are heading. They feel entitled to everything from the get-go and if they don't get it then they resort to taking it by force. They do not learn respect, nor do they ever feel that any sort of consequences will occur. They are taught early in life that they are somehow more special than others and deserve anything no matter what. They also start down the path of drug and alcohol abuse much, much earlier than when I was younger.

Perhaps something in our education system is lacking and also the parents have to admit some responsibility as well. Left on their own, kids will learn, and often it comes from somebody you don't wish them to learn from.

You would think an event like this would teach the young one's a lesson, but obviously it does not.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It would appear that they were not defenseless since all or most of them had guns of their own.

The parents are gonna have to wrap their arms around the fact that their babies were armed robbers and screw the lawsuit.

In my State they would be banned from filing a lawsuit!
    This might just be one case that will test SC's castle doctrine. All of the news stories seem to be reporting that the perps were shot while leaving the store. I have not heard any reporting on whether or not the employees and store owner will/will not be charged.
    Last edited by phreddy; May 10th, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: mispelled word

What does SC's laws re: castle doctrine say? Does it include something to the effect of "may harm others"....either way, who is to say the perps weren't looking for cover or shoot through one of the windows from the outside?

I hope SC's castle doctrine isn't overturned by a judge with an agenda. If these guys didn't receive return fire, it would be a matter of time before they killed an innocent victim.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    "Boy shot and killed in alleged robbery attempt"

"A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed and two other teens wounded as gunfire erupted inside a Cherokee County café this morning when armed employees took on three robbery suspects, a sheriff’s captain said."

The headline and first sentence are examples of media bias and poor writing. When I first read this I thought the boy was shot in a crossfire and had nothing to do with the robbery. You have to read further to understand that the 16 year old was one of the robbers!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Good news. The employees will not be charged. Our solicitor is running for US congress. He has my vote.

Sonny's Shooting: No Charges For Employees - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

However, I get the feeling the family members of the deceased criminal are not going to go away quietly. The news is playing up the good little boys routine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links