Bad:Man killed in north Houston home invasion

This is a discussion on Bad:Man killed in north Houston home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man killed in north Houston home invasion HOUSTON CHRONICLE May 9, 2010, 11:39AMShare Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponOne man was killed in a home invasion where the attackers ...

Man killed in north Houston home invasion
    HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    May 9, 2010, 11:39AMShare Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponOne man was killed in a home invasion where the attackers posed at Census takers, Houston police said.

At least three men, possibly four, forced their way Saturday afternoon into a home in the 400 block of Truman, near Yale, in north Houston.

Reginald Haynes, who lived at the home, died in the attack.

Once the attackers were inside the house, they tied up and assaulted the family who lives there, said Steve Straughter, Houston Police Department homicide investigator. He would not elaborate on the type of injuries. The attack began at about 2:30 or 2:45 p.m., he said.

The men demanded money then took several items from the house and left, Straughter said.

HPD: Fake Census takers kill man in home invasion | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I think this is another article on it here:
    This guy didn't have his SA up and it got him killed... This article + a non-incident this weekend was a stark reminder for me to not let it down.

HPD: Man Killed After Fake Census Worker Invades Home - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

HPD: Man Killed After Fake Census Worker Invades Home
    By Courtney Gilmore

POSTED: Sunday, May 9, 2010
    UPDATED: 6:39 am CDT May 10, 2010
    HOUSTON -- A man posed as a Census worker before a home invasion that turned deadly, KPRC Local 2 reported Sunday.

Reginald Haynes

Katherine Haynes said a man posed as a census worker Saturday afternoon before two men armed with guns barged their way in her home demanding money.

"The man was dressed in a suit and tie," resident Katherine Haynes said. "When my son cracked the door, he grabbed him by the neck and put a gun to his head."

Haynes said she, her son and her son's girlfriend were beaten and tied up after two other men barged into the home in the 400 block of Truman Street and demanded money on Saturday.

"They kept asking about a safe, but I told them we didn't have a safe, and they must be mistaken," she said. "I gave them $3,000 and said I would take them to an ATM to give them more if they would just spare our lives."

Haynes said they were left upstairs, while the thieves waited for her husband to get home. Haynes said he was tortured for two hours.

"They beat him and stabbed him and then they submerged him under water. That's when I didn't hear him any more. He put up a good fight," she said.

The attackers eventually left and Reginald "Pete" Haynes, who worked for the city for eight years, died at the hospital.

Haynes said she and her son got a good look at one of the men.

"One of them was light-skinned with three tear drops bellow his left eye," she said.

Census badge & bag
    Official Census Badge & Bag

Government officials said there are ways to correctly identify Census workers.

"They should have a badge with their name on it, and a messenger bag with the Department of Commerce seal," said Eduardo Guity with the U.S. Census Bureau. "Most importantly, a Census worker will never ask to come into your home."

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
    Stay safe and keep your SA up folks. I found this rather ironic given the idiocy of one census worker that approached me in my yard this past Saturday. Thank God for good dogs!

My SA was down while cutting the lawn and this dingbat walked around behind my house IN MY YARD to get my attention rather than just come back later or honk the horn or something. No, she proceeded to walk through a half acre of property to get around behind the house to approach me from behind to get my attention.

Needless to say it almost got messy. The dog has fair reign over anything within the property line and knows it. My first realization of a problem was hearing someone yelling nice doggy to my snarling and overly protective pit who apparently promptly placed herself between my backside and the dummy census worker.

What made it even more interesting is that I DID in fact send in my census form long prior so that was in the back of my mind when she stated she was a census taker.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sad! Prayers for the family involved. I hope they catch the BG's, they should have information on the dirt bag with the tear drop tattoos!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Three tear drops = gang banger with three kills.

It goes to show- answer the door w/ your gun and don't open it for strangers.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    It goes to show- answer the door w/ your gun and don't open it for strangers.
    Disagreed, respectfully.

It goes to show answering your door to a stranger AND opening your door (last line of DEFENSE!) to a stranger.
    Had the boy simply talked to the stranger as through the door he'd have been safe(r).

Yet another everyday occurrence example of why people and children need to be trained toward not opening doors or even responding to door rings & knocks at every opportunity.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow very sad ,stay safe

I always have 3000 in cash just laying around the house,most of the home invasions down here involve drug stash houses,they are targeted by rival gangs,the few that aren't are accidently targeted,there was one house down here that was targeted,the home invaders were a few hours too late,the marijusna stash,several hundred kilos had already been loaded out on it's destination north
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links