Good; Home invasion leads to thinning of the herd

This is a discussion on Good; Home invasion leads to thinning of the herd within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UPDATE: Two dead in Southport home invasion robbery // PHOTOS | southport, home, white - News - The News Herald UPDATE: Two dead in apparent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good; Home invasion leads to thinning of the herd

Good; Home invasion leads to thinning of the herd

UPDATE: Two dead in Southport home invasion robbery // PHOTOS | southport, home, white - News - The News Herald

UPDATE: Two dead in apparent home invasion robbery // PHOTOS
    Comments 37 | Recommend 7
    One suspect in custody, two on the loose
    May 11, 2010 10:39:00 AM
    NEWS HERALD STAFF REPORT
    SOUTHPORT — Two men were dead after an apparent botched home invasion, a third man was in custody and authorities said they were looking for two more people who may have been involved.

According to a release from the Bay County Sheriff’s Office, a 911 call about 4:33 a.m. Tuesday alerted authorities to a home invasion robbery at 7515 Jefferson Ave. in Southport. Deputies responded and found two men dead in the residence.

One of the two residents of the home told deputies he had shot the two men after waking up to find them in the home. He said he saw a third man flee on foot.

The scene was secured crime scene investigators were called to the home.

About 7:45 a.m., a deputy responding to a 911 call regarding a suspicious person stopped a man walking along Highway 2302 not far from the scene of the shooting. The deputy questioned the man, who eventually said he was involved with the incident at 7515 Jefferson.

He said another man and a woman were also involved and had fled the scene. This third suspect is now in custody and investigators are looking for the two additional suspects and two vehicles: a white or beige Jetta and a white Tahoe.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the Bay County Sheriff’s Office at 747-4700.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

2. Remove Ads

Nice, hopefully the homeowner walks away from this one scott free.... unfortunately in MN this situation leaves the homeowner liable for damages in civil court should the families of the deceased pursue it.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    Nice, hopefully the homeowner walks away from this one scott free.... unfortunately in MN this situation leaves the homeowner liable for damages in civil court should the families of the deceased pursue it.
    This is in Florida....castle doctrine
    Should be no charges and civil suits dismissed by the courts
    8040 Couger, P95
    Spanish M1916

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    This is in Florida....castle doctrine
    Should be no charges and civil suits dismissed by the courts
    good, we need castle doctrine badly here. nearly got passed but failed by 1 vote from what i heard.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

Florida's panhandle is now a little safer...congrats to the home owner!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well done. And I am very thankful myself to be in a "castle doctrine" state.

good, we need castle doctrine badly here. nearly got passed but failed by 1 vote from what i heard.
    From what you heard? If you want it get involved and help push it through.

I just love a happy ending! Congrats! to the homeowner.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    From what you heard? If you want it get involved and help push it through.

Thats what the instructors of our permit to carry class told us. Not sure exactly how I can get involved, any reccomendations? I can't introduce the bill myself and live in a super liberal state and doubt any of our representatives are about to bring up the topic.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

Thats what the instructors of our permit to carry class told us. Not sure exactly how I can get involved, any reccomendations? I can't introduce the bill myself and live in a super liberal state and doubt any of our representatives are about to bring up the topic.

Call the Governor's Office. Call your state Rep's and Senators. Are there any groups in MN that believe in trying to get the castle doctrine passed? If so, join the groups. Put pressure on your state politicians. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    Call the Governor's Office. Call your state Rep's and Senators. Are there any groups in MN that believe in trying to get the castle doctrine passed? If so, join the groups. Put pressure on your state politicians. Good Luck!

The group of conxervative gun owners probably would want to see it passed. However our liberal representatives probably not so much. I'll have to do some research on the issue.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    UPDATE-
    This happened about 4-5 miles from where I live and a lot of people around here have guns so this story didn't surprise me too much when I saw it this morning. But they just had an update and there's a lot more to the story. Hang on to your seats....

Two dead in botched home invasion // PHOTOS | southport, home, white - News - The News Herald

Two dead in botched home invasion // PHOTOSSARAH OWEN / News Herald Writer
    2010-05-11 07:25:14

SOUTHPORT — A botched robbery ended Tuesday morning with two men dead, four men in jail on felony drug and murder charges and a fifth suspect on the run.

Michael Anthony Norman shot and killed Devin Austin Butler, 20, and Michael Patrick Duffy, 22, after the young men broke into the home Norman shares with Daniel Lawrence Nelson, Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen said.

Butler and Duffy conspired with Justin E. Polson, 25, Alecia Alford, 26, and Stephen Mark Lang, 28, to steal a few ounces of marijuana, about 100 Oxycodone pills, a handful of Hydrocodone, Xanax, Percoset and Soma pills and “several thousand dollars” of drug money from the house at 7515 Jefferson Ave., the sheriff said.

“This one is so bizarre,” McKeithen said of the break-in. “I’m going to try to tell you a story about what happened today. It appears this was a sexually, drug-motivated robbery.”

In addition to running an unlicensed massage parlor out of their home, Nelson, 61, and Norman, 65, also were running drugs from Ft. Lauderdale, the sheriff said. The two men were making money on prescription pain medications and Lang, who told investigators he was in a sexual relationship with one of the homeowners, knew about it.

He and Butler, Duffy, Alford and Polson planned to break into the home Monday night but “got spooked,” the sheriff said. The crew instead went to Walmart and bought duct tape, gloves and a “large folding knife” before heading back to the house between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m.

Butler and Duffy, dressed in dark clothes and with their faces covered by bandanas, broke into the mobile home with the knife and a 12-gauge sawed-off shotgun, McKeithen said. He’s not sure whether Polson also entered the home, but said at least two of the would-be robbers waited in a car on the dirt road.

Norman called 911 just before 4:30 a.m. and told the operator to send an ambulance; he had just shot two home invaders. As far as police know, Norman fired just three shots, all of which hit the two burglars.

“This would have been a prime example, a very good example, of people protecting themselves in their home,” the sheriff said. “But certainly, the whole thing has been clouded. The unusual event this morning turned into a very unusual event. It’s almost like a movie.”

If Norman and Nelson had not been selling drugs from their house, Norman likely would have been justified in shooting Butler and Duffy, State Attorney Glenn Hess said.

A 1-year-old state law allows residents to use deadly force to protect themselves from trespassers, Hess said. The law, however, does not apply if the person who uses defensive force is “engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling … to further an unlawful activity,” according to the statute.

Before calling police, the sheriff said, Norman and Nelson buried some of their drugs in the backyard.

Lang also told investigators he went back to the house and convinced his former lover he had not been involved in the break-in; the homeowners let him leave, McKeithen said.

Investigators learned of Lang’s role in the saga after tracing a cell phone they found at the scene to a woman who gave police the first names of the robbers. Polson, who police found walking down County 2302 about a block from the house just before 8 a.m., also filled in some details, the sheriff said.

This wasn’t the first time cops have been called to the home, neighbor Rodney Bartlett said.

“There was always something going on, but we’ve never had nothing like this,” Bartlett said of the house he’s lived across from for more than 25 years.

Large, rowdy parties earned Norman a couple excessive noise violations and, in 2004, police responded to the home after Norman’s then-82-year-old mother shot him in the back.

Norman said at the time that his now-dead mother shot him with a .38-caliber handgun because she suffered from dementia and the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease.

The homeowner might have used the same gun to shoot Duffy and Butler; investigators said Norman shot the men with a .38-caliber revolver. He was not charged in the deaths

However, Polson and Lang (the surviving home invasion suspects) were charged with felony murder — in accordance with a state law that allows a person who commits certain crimes ending in death to be charged with murder. Polson and Lang also face home invasion and narcotics charges.

Norman and Nelson instead face charges of trafficking in Hydrocodone and Oxycodone and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

Duffy served nearly two years in prison for grand theft auto and had just been released in February. He also was charged with discharging a firearm in public in March.

Butler was charged with some misdemeanors, including possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, in April.

Police still are looking for Alford. Anyone with information may contact the Sheriff’s Office at 747-4700.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Surreal.

Still got two dead thugs, and now we add a busted up drug ring to the tally.

It's Miller Time!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

The homeowner was peddling prescription pain killers and mj from his home.

“This would have been a prime example, a very good example, of people protecting themselves in their home,” the sheriff said. “But certainly, the whole thing has been clouded. The unusual event this morning turned into a very unusual event. It’s almost like a movie.”

If Norman and Nelson had not been selling drugs from their house, Norman likely would have been justified in shooting Butler and Duffy, State Attorney Glenn Hess said.

Before calling police, the sheriff said, Norman and Nelson buried some of their drugs in the backyard.

Norman and Nelson instead face charges of trafficking in Hydrocodone and Oxycodone and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

I think they should all be charged with murder. Since there was an illegal activity going on, then the invaders should be charged since they were with the 2 who were shot, and the home owner should also be charged for the shooting.
    Of course at their reported ages, they'll be 90 before they get out.
    8040 Couger, P95
    Spanish M1916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links