Ex-Marine accused of gunning down neighbour whose puppy peed on award-winning lawn

This is a discussion on Ex-Marine accused of gunning down neighbour whose puppy peed on award-winning lawn within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; May 12, 2010 - 1:53PM The street in University Park, Illinois, where Charles Clements allegedly shot and killed Joshua Funches after Mr Funches's dog urinated ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Marine accused of gunning down neighbour whose puppy peed on award-winning lawn

Ex-Marine accused of gunning down neighbour whose puppy peed on award-winning lawn

May 12, 2010 - 1:53PM

The street in University Park, Illinois, where Charles Clements allegedly shot and killed Joshua Funches after Mr Funches's dog urinated on Mr Clements's well-manicured lawn. Photo: Bing Maps and University Park Po

A retired former US Marine is being held on a $US3 million ($3.4 million) bond, accused of gunning down a neighbour whose puppy allegedly urinated on the man's well-manicured grass.

Charles Clements, 69, of University Park routinely wins the Chicago suburb's beautification and lawn upkeep award but is also known for threatening children or adults who dare set foot in his yard, neighbours said.

On Sunday night, Joshua Funches, a 23-year-old father of two, was walking his fox terrier Gucci when the dog lifted its leg and urinated on Mr Clements's lawn, said Mr Funches's mother, Patricia, 53.

The two men began arguing and, at some point, Mr Clements, a retired bus driver, pulled out a pistol and pointed it at Mr Funches, said Will County assistant state's attorney Sondra Denmark.
    Witnesses said Mr Funches then said to Mr Clements: "Next time you pull out a pistol, why don't you use it?" Ms Denmark said.

At that point, witnesses said they saw orange and white light and heard a loud noise. They saw Mr Funches fall to the ground.

"It was all over a little wooden plaque," said an emotional Patricia Funches, referring to the town's beautification award. "It was a senseless death. How can you take a life for a piece of wood?"

Mr Clements then walked home and changed his clothes. When University Park police arrived, they found the master landscaper in his garage with the door open.

"I knew you were coming for me," he told police, Ms Denmark said. "That's why I changed my clothes. I knew you were coming for me."

Neighbours were shocked that such deadly violence could have stemmed from a minor fight.

"It hurt me pretty bad to see a person killed over something so petty," said Joanne Byers, who lives across the street from where Mr Funches died.

Mr Funches's children were aged one and four and another was due to be born in August, his mother said.

Ms Byers said her own son had a run-in with Mr Clements, once accidentally stepping on the man's grass while walking and chatting on his mobile phone.

"Man, he popped out and called, 'Hey watch it - watch it!' " said Ms Byers.

Judge Marzell Richardson ordered Mr Clements, who has no criminal history, to be held in lieu of $3 million bond on Tuesday on first- and second-degree murder charges.

He noted that Mr Clements allegedly told his victim he would be found innocent if he was arrested.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Wait? What?

How utterly sad. The shooter deserves to spend the rest of his life behind bars and concrete.

That guy has serious issues,his next one will be whether to sleep on his stomache or his back
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This brings a whole new meaning to "you kids get the #%^& off my lawn".
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

He seems to think that grass is an artificial stretch of the color green, instead of an expanse of plants that by its nature draws animals of all kinds. Murder, for coming to such a place? Well, he deserves a suitable response.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    May 12, 2010 - 1:53PM

The street in University Park, Illinois, where Charles Clements allegedly shot and killed Joshua Funches after Mr Funches's dog urinated on Mr Clements's well-manicured lawn. Photo: Bing Maps and University Park Po

A retired former US Marine is being held on a $US3 million ($3.4 million) bond, accused of gunning down a neighbour whose puppy allegedly urinated on the man's well-manicured grass.

Charles Clements, 69, of University Park routinely wins the Chicago suburb's beautification and lawn upkeep award but is also known for threatening children or adults who dare set foot in his yard, neighbours said.

On Sunday night, Joshua Funches, a 23-year-old father of two, was walking his fox terrier Gucci when the dog lifted its leg and urinated on Mr Clements's lawn, said Mr Funches's mother, Patricia, 53.

The two men began arguing and, at some point, Mr Clements, a retired bus driver, pulled out a pistol and pointed it at Mr Funches, said Will County assistant state's attorney Sondra Denmark.
    Witnesses said Mr Funches then said to Mr Clements: "Next time you pull out a pistol, why don't you use it?" Ms Denmark said.

At that point, witnesses said they saw orange and white light and heard a loud noise. They saw Mr Funches fall to the ground.

"It was all over a little wooden plaque," said an emotional Patricia Funches, referring to the town's beautification award. "It was a senseless death. How can you take a life for a piece of wood?"

Mr Clements then walked home and changed his clothes. When University Park police arrived, they found the master landscaper in his garage with the door open.

"I knew you were coming for me," he told police, Ms Denmark said. "That's why I changed my clothes. I knew you were coming for me."

Neighbours were shocked that such deadly violence could have stemmed from a minor fight.

"It hurt me pretty bad to see a person killed over something so petty," said Joanne Byers, who lives across the street from where Mr Funches died.

Mr Funches's children were aged one and four and another was due to be born in August, his mother said.

Ms Byers said her own son had a run-in with Mr Clements, once accidentally stepping on the man's grass while walking and chatting on his mobile phone.

"Man, he popped out and called, 'Hey watch it - watch it!' " said Ms Byers.

Judge Marzell Richardson ordered Mr Clements, who has no criminal history, to be held in lieu of $3 million bond on Tuesday on first- and second-degree murder charges.

He noted that Mr Clements allegedly told his victim he would be found innocent if he was arrested.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is how my ex-pal and former brother-in-law almost got us shot, one night, telling some drunk that if he had a gun, he ought to use it: He pulled it out, cocked the hammer back, and pointed at his forehead. It may have been a blessing if he had made him, but not me, dead. I talked him out of it and changed his mind.

How messed up.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sad story for all involved. It's just not a good idea to tell an individual who is crazy enough to pull a gun on you, for such as this, to go ahead and use it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Too many crazy people in this world to be challenging anyone...walk away and heal your ego later.

This senseless act is going to cost the shooter the rest of his behind bars.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Too many crazy people in this world to be challenging anyone...walk away and heal your ego later.
    Agreed.

A father of two with another on the way...Needs to be the bigger man and walk it off.
    Clearly the dude is nuts...So why toy with a crazy person rising everything for your family on who has brassier balls?! Crazy. And stupid.

Now his wife and kids will in an instant be plunged into lifetime poverty and likely their kids too (his unborn grandkids) will suffer the same fate by extension because he couldn't in the moment keep his trap shut and walk it off rather than sass talk the known neighborhood grump who is suffering from 'anger management' mental health issues.

Do not do this.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    1) Isn't that Illinois? NO guns allowed, so stuff like this won't happen. Duh

2) Insane.

Idiotic, but maybe he'll get to work on the prison lawn now. He deserves the strongest penalty they can give him, the death penalty.

Makes you wonder what the heck is wrong with people nowadays.
    Of course talking smack to a gunman isn't a great idea either.
    To bad Illinios doesn't have the death penalty, 'cause that clown surely deserves it.

I'm glad they were able to work in his former military affiliation, though.

God, I am so tired of that stuff by the press.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I'm glad they were able to work in his former military affiliation, though.

God, I am so tired of that stuff by the press.

Except for maybe his accuracy, I fail to see where his being a Marine has any bearing on this matter.

Please note that was typed with heavy sarcasm, as his being a Marine has no bearing on this matter, and I'm sure he would be considered a disgrace to the Corps.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links