Skimming credit cards at ATM's -- coming to an ATM near you

This is a discussion on Skimming credit cards at ATM's -- coming to an ATM near you within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you're not already leery about using Automated Teller Machines (ATM's) around town, perhaps this little warning will grab your attention. Recently, a county sheriff ...

Thread: Skimming credit cards at ATM's -- coming to an ATM near you

Skimming credit cards at ATM's -- coming to an ATM near you

If you're not already leery about using Automated Teller Machines (ATM's) around town, perhaps this little warning will grab your attention.

Recently, a county sheriff near where I live published this in its newsletter, warning citizens of the problem of electronic scanning to record the credit card's data and PIN number.

If you do use ATM machines, even occasionally, be aware.

ATM Skimming

Skimmy Dipping

Your Sheriff's Office shares information with other law enforcement agencies. This week, we learned that money is being fraudulently withdrawn from ATM machines in our county. The common theme is that all the cardholders used a specific ATM machine in XYZ County during the period April 24-30.

Even if you are not a victim, you might be interested in knowing how the cards were compromised. Someone installed a "skimmer" at the machine where the cards are inserted or swiped. As the cardholder withdraws money or performs transactions, the skimmer invisibly records the card data and cameras and other equipment record your keystrokes. This video is under two minutes long – you'll find it amazing. You'll also learn how to avoid becoming a victim.

So far, the bank in this case has identified more than 70 victims. The fraud artists are now using the card information to withdraw cash – most occurring in the XYZ area. If you believe you may be a victim of fraud, please take time to file a police report.

Here is an NBC News report from Pennsylvania about the problem: ATM Skimming.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

It's funny that they are from SE PA, we have had several incidents of this activity at local WAWA Stores in Delaware recently.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I looked at related videos after watching the posted video.

There are other youtube videos of people trying to sell similar devices so that you can do ATM scams yourself!

I don't know if they are just trying to scam the BGs who are stupid enough to buy these ATM Skimmers off of a youtube video. Hopefully they are.

I know that youtube can't watch every video and determine if they are legal or not but d@mn!

Distinguished Member
    My sister was one of those hit by a skimmer... They cleaner her out. We had to drive to Gresham to give her cash just so she could buy gas and groceries.

I've also heard of them doing this on gas station pumps.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Good info, thank you for that!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    I've also heard of them doing this on gas station pumps.
    Easy targets with virtually no security. We had a rash of gas thefts around here a while back. Some dope had gotten ahold of the key for the pump machine and was adjusting the cost per gallon down to next to nothing each time he went to get gas.

He would pop open the cover, make a quick change, close it back and go about pumping and no one was the wiser and either no one saw or no one said anything.

They didn't find out how it was happening until they started auditing why they were losing so much money and started reviewing tapes and logs.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Easy targets with virtually no security. We had a rash of gas thefts around here a while back. Some dope had gotten ahold of the key for the pump machine and was adjusting the cost per gallon down to next to nothing each time he went to get gas.

He would pop open the cover, make a quick change, close it back and go about pumping and no one was the wiser and either no one saw or no one said anything.

They didn't find out how it was happening until they started auditing why they were losing so much money and started reviewing tapes and logs.
    How long ago was that? Now they are all digital. I have actually been to a station right before they changed the price. I finished pumping and hung the nozzle back as soon as that happened the prices on the pump changed... It's like magic... Abracadabra your money disappears.

I though I was paranoid checking ATMs for bugs and ****.... I guess my fears are well founded.
    Some fifth third ATMs now have a seal on the slot as well as an LED lit card slot. It helps but if someone isn't paying attention they won't notice if someone attaches a little somethin extra on the machine.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

ATMs have always been a security risk. Armed robberies at ATMs and night deposit drops are a common occurances besides these various frauds. Stay alert.

More skimmer stories than you can shake a stick at. Sadly, they are all true.

The Consumerist: Search Results

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Old news here, now what they do is the look for a merchant who has their pad out in the open, one person distracts the employee, another swaps out the pad with one of theirs. People use the new pad which works like the shops pad except it either wireless downloads the card information and PIN or stores it till the theives can swap the pad again. Has happened at many high end shops here.
    Police are cautioning merchants to keep the pad off the counter till the transaction and have unique marks/stickers on them.

Links