Bad: Gun fires inside 3rd grader's desk.

This is a discussion on Bad: Gun fires inside 3rd grader's desk. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It must be spontaneous combustion, the thing just "went off" or something. Fox Charlotte reports that a gun went off inside the desk of a ...

Thread: Bad: Gun fires inside 3rd grader's desk.

Bad: Gun fires inside 3rd grader's desk.

It must be spontaneous combustion, the thing just "went off" or something.

Fox Charlotte reports that a gun went off inside the desk of a third grader in Charlotte, N.C.

It is unclear how the gun went off, but luckily, the bullet missed all 20 students in the classroom and only hit a wall.

Parents rushed to the school not knowing the extent of the situation after they were told, A serious incident occurred in a University Meadows classroom this afternoon.

The gun was a .22-caliber handgun "small enough to fit in the palm of your hand," said Sgt. David Schwob.

Police are investigating the boy's father who came to the school in the afternoon. Schwob said investigators were interviewing the boy, his parents and other students in the class.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

2. Remove Ads

The boys dad is a felon. This could get interesting. The dad and granddad say they don't know where the gun came from. Local news is reporting that the gun "just went off" like evil guns do so often. There was a local radio host grilled the press for that today. Some of the local media on it here.

3rd grader charged after gun fired in class, police say - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

An extreemly bad situation. Glad none of those children got hurt.

It just 'went off' huh? Well, if it's one of those little, itsy bitsy Derringer .22 thingys that dosn't have a trigger guard and is inside a third graders desk ...........

I'm intrested in where it came from and who belongs to it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

It just 'went off' huh? Well, if it's one of those little, itsy bitsy Derringer .22 thingys that dosn't have a trigger guard and is inside a third graders desk ...........

It still has to be cocked, but then could be shoved by books inside a desk to be fired...still not good!
    This dad has got some splainin' to do...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow... Rare cases like this will equate to more zero tolerance policies where that evil drawing of a gun on the back of a notebook gets a kid expelled.

Stupid in the extreme!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Wow... Rare cases like this will equate to more zero tolerance policies where that evil drawing of a gun on the back of a notebook gets a kid expelled.

Stupid in the extreme!
    Now Bark'n, they might have drawn the bullets to!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I got in trouble for playing with a padlock in school
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

According to one of the videos it's an NAA .22 revolver, or similar. No trigger guard but has to be cocked.

NC has no handgun registration so if neither of them are the original owner it will be hard to prove. Private sales do not require paperwork. If one of them is the original legal owner they could tie it to them though through the FFL they bought it from.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My desk, WAY back when during my tenure as a third grader, had plenty of 'stuff' in there that could've 'set off' a cocked anything, triggerguard or otherwise. Funny though, I never had a .22 in there.

Yep, daddy has LOTS of splainin to do!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links