Shooting in Detroit / 2nd issue "full-auto"

This is a discussion on Shooting in Detroit / 2nd issue "full-auto" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want to complain to a station about one of their reporters who failed on the facts (WDIV-TV 4 NBC). The reporter on the scene ...

View Poll Results: Should I contact the station?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 60.00%
  • No

6 40.00%

I want to complain to a station about one of their reporters who failed on the facts (WDIV-TV 4 NBC). The reporter on the scene during the 11 PM version ended by stating something like, "It has been confirmed that the weapon used was a full auto." She made a big point that it was "full-auto", it was the last statement, and her expression was ment to punctuate how this was critical information. I can't find the video on-line.

It is just an all out sad story, and I feel like an inconsiderate jerk to call up and complain about the poor use of "full-auto." Then again, journalists have a responsibility, and half truth can erode freedom. For all I know, maybe it was a full-auto pistol, but I doubt some guy on a pedal bike with bags of weed is going to have a full-auto pistol.

Man critical after shot to head at Detroit gas station | detnews.com | The Detroit News

"Detroit -- A 20-year-old man is in critical condition this evening at an area hospital after he was shot in the head at a gas station on the city's west side. Police are looking for the shooter. Police say the victim was pumping gas around 5 p.m. at a BP gas station at Seven Mile and Wyoming when the suspect rode up on a green bicycle. The suspect, around 18 years old, fired four shots, striking the victim once in the head. The suspect then rode off , police said. He was described as wearing a blue hoodie and blue jeans. Police are not releasing the identity of the victim. It is believed that the suspect knew the victim, said Detroit Police 2nd Deputy Chief John Roach."

PS -

Here is the coverage from another station:
    Man Shot at Detroit Gas Station

This was the report from earlier, from the station I want to call up, I can't find the one from 11 PM:
    Man Fatally Shot At Detroit Gas Station - Video - WDIV Detroit

I'm not sure if legal to own full-auto in MI, I need to look into it again, I get mixed answers if you can apply for class 3. That is a seperate issue.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I'm not sure if legal to own full-auto in MI, I need to look into it again, I get mixed answers if you can apply for class 3. That is a seperate issue.
    Michigan allows possession and use of class 3 arms for those properly licensed (but I've never heard of anybody using them from a bicycle)

PC

A) I doubt any sort of correction or retraction would result from you contacting the station.
    B) 95% of the people listening to that story wouldn't know the difference between a full-auto/semi-auto...all they hear is "gun"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I wouldn't bother if I where you. Like Glock23MI said
    all they hear is "gun"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Some guy is selling weed on a green bicycle,see what happens when you let kids buy green bicycles,it leads to crime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It was a drive by bicycling!

Crazy.

Call 'em and complain, nothing to lose and maybe something to gain. You never know who might hear what you have to say.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I lived in Detroit for 5 years...guy riding a bike while carrying a fully auto would be on my list of LEAST surprising things I saw while up there.
    guns rule

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    <snip>
    The legality of a Class 3 weapon is kind of irrelevant isn't it? After all, it's already illegal to murder someone.

As for the use of the term "full auto", I don't know that I'd make an issue out of it unless you're absolutely certain that the weapon used was NOT full auto. In the links you posted there was no specific mention of the weapon used other than "a handgun." So I suppose it *might* have been fully automatic, but given the small number of shots fired it doesn't seem so.

In short, we have no more reliable facts that the reporter in question, so I'm not sure it's wise to pick nits.

Brian

One of the reasons I hate the terms "auto-pistol" and "45 auto" usually referring to a 1911 SEMI-AUTO pistol. You and I know that FULL AUTO gets better ratings than SEMI-AUTO in the ol' MSM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

IMHO you'd be wasting valuable time in trying to convince the 'media' of their poor reporting...don't try to confuse them with the facts of the case...they've already made up their minds.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DM2
    [QUOTE=Thanis;1617620]I want to complain to a station about one of their reporters who failed on the facts (WDIV-TV 4 NBC). The reporter on the scene during the 11 PM version ended by stating something like, "It has been confirmed that the weapon used was a full auto." She made a big point that it was "full-auto", it was the last statement, and her expression was ment to punctuate how this was critical information. I can't find the video on-line.

I've been searching for the video this morning with no luck yet, but I think it was a "full auto".

Don't get me wrong. I'm no expert by a long shot, but last night on either ABC or NBC, they ran a story where the ATF is offering a $10,000 reward. According to the ATF agent interviewed, the security video from the gas station shows that 8 rounds were fired in 1 second with one pull of the trigger. They are the experts, not me. I didn't even see the gun in the video.

I'll continue to look for the story. Did anyone else see this last night?

They don't or won't learn or know of the mistakes they make, unless or until someone tries to correct them, maybe the script writers who ought to do a little research, despite the lack of facts, before doing the story and putting it up on a screen, if you know what I mean. Pretty people speak on TV. Plain people write their words for them.

Links