Gun Toting Victims Fight back

This is a discussion on Gun Toting Victims Fight back within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gun-toting victims fight back Criminals beware: South Dakota hasn't lost its spirit of the Wild West, so you might want to think twice before trying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Toting Victims Fight back

Senior Moderator

Gun Toting Victims Fight back

Gun-toting victims fight back

Criminals beware: South Dakota hasn't lost its spirit of the Wild West, so you might want to think twice before trying to victimize a stranger who just might be packing heat.

Criminals were thwarted twice this week by targeted victims who turned the tables on the bad guys. In the first incident, a Box Elder man scared off a would-be burglar by firing two shots at him during an attempt to break into the man's home. The second incident involved a pizza delivery man who was assaulted and robbed while delivering a pizza. He managed to fire a pistol at his two attackers as they fled the scene. One of them later showed up at the hospital, where he was arrested.

We wouldn't want to encourage such bold behavior, since pulling a gun on a criminal often triggers more violence. A victim could wind up dead that way. Nevertheless, it's poetic justice when a victim fights back and wins. The pizza delivery man is a living reminder to would-be criminals: You never know who's out there carrying a gun and knows how to use it.

State law allows all South Dakotans to defend themselves against criminal behavior. In 2006, the state legislature revised the law regarding justifiable use of force as follows: "Any person is justified in the use of force or violence against another person when the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or other criminal interference with real property or personal property lawfully in his or her possession..." The legislation notes that stricter laws govern the use of deadly force.

In simpler words: It's OK to fight back when a criminal attacks, enters your home, or tries to steal your property. Just do your best not to kill the guy, and don't forget your actions could land you in court, which has the final say on what's "justified."

Fortunately, most of us will never be in a position to apply that law. Pulling a gun on a criminal generally is not a good idea. Law enforcement officials would never condone it, since it's their job to protect society and they're trained to do the job the right way. Furthermore, we would never condone a vigilante justice that, if practiced too freely, could be abused by overzealous, trigger-happy folks. But we can't help but feel a bit glad that at least a few aggressive victims are out there making Western South Dakota a scarier place for criminals to do business.
    This is my favorite part In simpler words: It's OK to fight back when a criminal attacks, enters your home, or tries to steal your property. Just do your best not to kill the guy, and don't forget your actions could land you in court, which has the final say on what's "justified."
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "Law enforcement officials would never condone it, since it's their job to protect society"
    I find this statement funny in such an article, since it has been shown many times to be untrue. An officer's job is not to "protect society".

if practiced too freely, could be abused by overzealous, trigger-happy folks.
    Sadly, it seems like there is ALWAYS some of this anti crap thrown in.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    what did you expect from a journalist?

Uneducated and mentality. Only criminals and police should have guns.

On a brighter note... it is an article; about gun owners; protecting themselves.... how much do you see this in the mainstream media?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm former LEO and I certainly would condone pulling a gun on a criminal. Only a fool thinks the police can be everywhere at once. Your actions may indeed land you in court, but as the old saying goes, "better tried by 12 than carried by 6".
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ever notice that some states (like SD here) we hardly ever hear from, whereas others (TX) frequently surface?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    We wouldn't want to encourage such bold behavior, since pulling a gun on a criminal often triggers more violence. A victim could wind up dead that way.
    Well, ain't that the kernel in the turd? Yes, pulling a gun on a criminal often triggers more violence because it's MY trigger putting a swift violent end to his career.

Victims could wind up dead?
    Is that the same kinda dead that could result from compliance with an attacker? Or a different kinda dead?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

So what are we to do...just hand over whatever the criminals want? I say good for the people that take a stand. I have worked hard for what I have and am not willing to just hand it over to someone else just because "they want it too".
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Well, ain't that the kernel in the turd? Yes, pulling a gun on a criminal often triggers more violence because it's MY trigger putting a swift violent end to his career.

Victims could wind up dead?
    Is that the same kinda dead that could result from compliance with an attacker? Or a different kinda dead?

The best part is that it is demonstrably untrue. The least likely response to end in an injury to the victim is an armed response, followed by compliance, followed by unarmed response.

The unarmed response part isn't completely accurate since those people are usually behind the eight ball and have only decided to fight back because compliance didn't work (if your attacker wants to move you to a new location, it's because it's easier to move you than to move your body, but they still plan to kill you).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    ........It's OK to fight back when a criminal attacks, enters your home, or tries to steal your property. Just do your best not to kill the guy.........

Shoot to wound? I don't think that it's practical or beneficial to the well being of the intended victim to have that mindset when confronted...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Judge, I tried to wound him, but I was so nervous I seem to have hit him Center of Mass all three times!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

See yer honor? ... A few pellets hit him in the shoulder ... And the other shoulder ... Yes sir ... A few did hit him in the throat area ... But that was because it was between his shoulders ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books

All this horsesh(t about the Old West being wild makes me think libtards back east are still reading nickel and dime store novels. I'd say you were probably safer on the streets of Dodge City in 1880 than you were in New York in 1980 or New Orleans, Detroit, New York, Atlanta or Chicago today.

From what I've read, there was obviously crime in the old West, but there were alot of polite people too for a very obvious reason.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    "I shot him in the head 'cause obviously it was empty......"
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

In the split second or seconds of an encounter how could you really try to only wound the attacker when you or your families life is in the hands of the attacker.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Shooting to wound is a good way to get yourself killed. When deadly force is legal and required, you shoot to stop the threat, not to wound.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links