Good...ish?: PD: Victimís dad confronts suspects after west Valley attack

This is a discussion on Good...ish?: PD: Victimís dad confronts suspects after west Valley attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am not a parent so I have no idea what is going through his head but probably not the best idea to go hunting ...

Thread: Good...ish?: PD: Victimís dad confronts suspects after west Valley attack

I am not a parent so I have no idea what is going through his head but probably not the best idea to go hunting down people looking for trouble. Glad in the end it worked out for him, I just hope he is not facing and charges in the future.

PD: Victim?s dad confronts suspects after west Valley attack - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

PHOENIX -- Three men were arrested early Sunday for robbing several victims in the west Valley, according to officials.

Phoenix Police Department spokesman Trent Crump said three Hispanic males were robbing victims along west Valley streets around 12 a.m. The two incidents reportedly occurred on Thomas Road between 59th and 67th avenues.

The three suspects reportedly stole wallets, cell phones, cash, jewelry and iPods from the victims. One of the victims was pistol-whipped during the second armed robbery.

According to Crump, one of the victims returned home and told his father what had happened. The man's father reportedly left the home and went looking for the suspects.

Crump said police apprehended one of the suspects by this time, but the victim's father located the remaining two suspects and confronted them about the robbery.

The suspects reportedly pulled a gun on the man, at which point he also drew a firearm and a shootout began, according to officials.

The victim's father was not shot during the exchange, but did shoot one of the suspects "at least two times," Crump said. One of the teen suspects, Ruben Torres, 18, was reportedly hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

Angel Torres and Michael Torres, both 19, have also been taken into custody.

Crump said the suspects are related, but the relationship between them is unclear at this time.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

If I were the father I would say that after finding out my kid was jsut robbed AND pistol whipped... I think Id be goin lookin. I would call 911 but Id be looking. I KNOW that it isnt a smart idea, but really... My kid just got cracked with a pistols business end or the grip,Id be looking HARD.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I don't think that I'd have gone out hunting Ė I think reason would prevail if the threat was not immediately present.
    I do love to hear these stories Ė it is how I believe life should be handled in many cases. It is seldom handled this way because of the abundance of lawyers in our society.
    As of last night, there had been no charges filed against the man. Hopefully that continues to be the case.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Now let's hope that the court system does the right thing and keeps scum off the streets.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I love how this story ended. But, since the threat was no longer there, I'm not sure going looking for the robbers was the right thing to do. The father could have been killed and how would that have helped his child? I guess it's easy to sit here and spout my opinion, since it wasn't my daughter. I'm just glad it all worked out.

That's a tough one. I would hope that i wouldn't head off hunting but if you hurt my family I'm not sure what I would do. I do believe that some of these thugs need to know that there are consequences for their actions..... like getting their asses shot.

yeah it's premeditated ...hard to say...story does say the BG pulled his gun first, which could help a self defense stance.
    guns rule

In Mn chances are you would be charged because you are a willing participant as a result of hunting for the suspects. Personally I think people should be able to defend their property as well as theor life if they so choose. A little old time justice might be just what this world needs.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    That's a tough one. I would hope that i wouldn't head off hunting but if you hurt my family I'm not sure what I would do. I do believe that some of these thugs need to know that there are consequences for their actions..... like getting their asses shot.
    I can't imagine what was going through that father's head... but he took the law into his own hands, but it certainly wasn't selfish I would say!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I would have gone looking for them, and notified 911 of their location if I had found them........

IF they approached me, well........ depended upon circumstances what I'ld do or not do.

I think he is OK to approach a thief... there is such a thing as a citizen arrest, as well as the right to defend himself if necessary. AT least here, there is.

I'd be real tempted to clear the street of them and drive off.

Here in Texas some years back there was an Outlaw Biker named Johnny Ray Lightsey. He was a real bad a** and hurt a lot of people.
    Well, nobody is sure of the details, but it seems he was riding his chopper home late one night and didn't make it. Someone pulled up next to him at a light and pulled an Easy Rider on him with a 12 ga.

There was some speculation that some Haltom City Police Officers may have done it, because he made their life a living hell. But, his death has never been solved. Not sure how hard the Legal Community tried to find the killer, but whoever put him down did a great service to the Tarrant County Citizens. This Dude was responsible for several murders, but had yet to be convicted of any.

I was fortunite enough not to cross paths with Johnny Ray, but my friends who did, said he was a mad dog who had no respect for anyones life but his own.

So, I happy to hear the Father in this story may have a justifiable self defense plea on this. But, I'm not sure I would have played it that way so quickly.

I have to go with the dad on this one. I'm a dad, and I do understand calling 911...which I would do, but I'm also a dad...'nuff said!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The man's father reportedly left the home and went looking for the suspects.
    If he told someone this was his intent he could be in trouble. Another case of talking to much?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post

Dead on man. I hope I could remain calm enough not to go looking for trouble... but if it was my boy we're talking about, I just don't know.

These punks that feel free to go out breaking the law DO need to know there are consequences for their actions... they DO need to feel fear like alot of people do when these kind of things happen in their neighborhood. Sad truth is, though, that they never will... they will go on doing what they do until they are stopped, either forcefully or by LEOs. I'm not advocating vigilante justice by any means, but sometimes people have to stand up for what they feel is right.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live. -- Douglas Adams

GI Special 1911, Kahr CW45, PT140, LCP, Rem 870 and so on and so on...

Links