Weapons Law Works

Weapons Law Works

This is a discussion on Weapons Law Works within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; by Courtney Kinney, Post Frankfort Bureau Chief Publication date: October 13, 2001 FRANKFORT, KENTUCKY -- Joe Megerle was suspicious when a stranger approached him just ...

Thread: Weapons Law Works

CHPBill

Weapons Law Works

by Courtney Kinney, Post Frankfort Bureau Chief

Publication date: October 13, 2001

FRANKFORT, KENTUCKY -- Joe Megerle was suspicious when a stranger approached him just after sunrise in Devou Park and asked him for the time.

His suspicion turned to fear when, moments later, the man made a U-turn, stopped his car in the middle of the road and walked toward him.

Megerle, a retired Cinergy worker with bad knees and a bad back, reached into his pocket and cocked the hammer on the .25-caliber pistol he carried on his morning walks.

When the stranger pulled a gun from his waist band and rushed Megerle, Megerle shot first. The stranger fell at his feet. Megerle was uninjured.

\"I\'ve thought about how I could\'ve gotten out of it, and there was no way,\" Megerle said this week in his first media interview since the shooting Aug. 19, 1999. \"It was like having your back against the wall and a big Mack truck was bearing down on you.\"

\"Where could I have gone?\"

Megerle, now 59, credits his life to a 1996 law that made it legal for qualified people to carry a concealed weapon. The law took effect five years ago this month.

When the law was being debated in the legislature, some citizens and officials predicted a blood bath. Street corners and Little League games would dissolve into Wild West-like scenarios, they said, with people settling disagreements over gunfire.

Five years and more than 62,000 permits later, that hasn\'t proven true.

\"I think it\'s worked out exactly as I predicted it would,\" said state Rep. Bob Damron, D-Nicholasville, who sponsored the 1996 legislation.

\"I don\'t think anyone can find fault with it.\"

Police and other officials interviewed could not recall an incident in the last five years in which a gun carried under the law was used illegally.

But anecdotal evidence exists of people defending themselves with permitted guns: An elderly woman in Bowling Green shot a group of teen-age intruders who broke into her home; a man in Louisville used his concealed weapon to thwart a group of gun-brandishing bank robbers.

\"We haven\'t seen large increases in violent crimes involving handguns as a result of people having carry-concealed permits,\" said Lt. Lisa Rudzinski, KSP spokeswoman. \"People who commit violent crimes - some of them may have had concealed-carry permits. But the majority of them do not.\"

That\'s because the people who have the permits are law-abiding citizens, say proponents of the law. To obtain a permit, an applicant must clear a thorough background check and complete an eight-hour classroom and target-training course.

That rigorous training and strict background check have been key to the law\'s success, said Florence Police Chief Tom Kathman.

\"They\'ve done a very good job of requiring the training and trying to evaluate those people who are applying,\" he said. \"I think that has been the major focus of whether the program has been successful or not.\"

Kathman said the law has created no problem for him. He was neutral on the idea in 1996, he said.

But other police organizations weren\'t.

The Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police opposed the bill, saying that more guns would mean more incidences of gun-related injuries. Craig Birdwhistell, executive director of the association, said so far that hasn\'t happened.

\"No, we haven\'t experienced the problems that some of our chiefs of police have anticipated,\" he said.

Birdwhistell said despite the statistics, the Kentucky police chief\'s association is still against an armed populous.

\"I don\'t think our membership have changed their minds,\" said Birdwhistell, a former Georgetown police chief. \"They don\'t think that putting more weapons out on the street is the way to solve crime.\"

Megerle, though, said it\'s the only thing that saved him from being a victim of crime. Megerle has often wondered how he could have avoided shooting James Kennedy, but he\'s never second-guessed his decision to do so.

Kennedy, who was hit in the head and chest, recovered. He pleaded guilty this summer to charges of robbery and being a persistent felony offender and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. He\'d previously served time for burglary, receiving stolen property and disorderly conduct.

Megerle counts his blessings. \"If it wasn\'t for that firearm, I could have very well been hurt,\" he said.

Source: The Kentucky Post

CHP Bill, and what are your feelings for such a \"Shall Issue\" law in California???

My wife and I are contemplating moving to Cali and this does trouble us with all the gov\'t intervention in denying citizens the right to carry.

Is there anything in the works in terms if legislation to allow Cali-citizens to carry concealed???

~A

VIP Member

I know I\'m not CHP Bill but...

There\'s this guy in California, Jim March. He is fighting with the state to get shall issue CHPs. Right now California is may issue, and some permits are indeed issued. Here is a link to recent CHP issuance numbers.

Here is a link to Jim\'s website. You will even find a picture of Betty there. ;) Betty is everywhere it seems. :D

May I suggest you stop one state short of Cali, and stay here in AZ? We call it Free Arizona....no license/ registration/waiting period/magazine restriction/AWB. We also have open carry legal, shall issue CCW, and are Class 3 friendly. Yes, you can carry your legal Class 3 concealed with a valid permit, or OPEN without.....with your paperwork. Anyone wanna go to Circle K with an UZI? Legal....gonna get some looks, but legal....Also have pre-emption law that stops the patchwork gun law state - all cities, townships, counties, etc.,have to have laws about as restrictive as the state, or less, never more. Governor just named a shooting range, (Ben Avery in Phoeinx area) as one of our state jewels. Other places try to shut down ranges, down here in Pima County, the county supervisors just built a new public range for us.
    Green Valley is south of Tucson by about 20 minutes on I-19, and a retiree paradise. Lots of golf courses, shopping, and artists colony in Tubac, close to Nogales and Mexico, and low crime....

Sorry, starting to sound like a tourist brochure....but you can get 5 times the house in AZ for the price in Cali.....lots of beach, just no ocean. :D

Originally posted by CHPBill
    by Courtney Kinney, Post Frankfort Bureau Chief

Publication date: October 13, 2001

\"I don\'t think our membership have changed their minds,\" said Birdwhistell, a former Georgetown police chief. \"They don\'t think that putting more weapons out on the street is the way to solve crime.\"

Maybe these guys should lead by example, and give their guns up first.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/for...wissuances.pdf

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/for...wissuances.pdf

http://www.equalccw.com

Originally posted by Scott
    There\'s this guy in California, Jim March. He is fighting with the state to get shall issue CHPs. Right now California is may issue, and some permits are indeed issued. Here is a link to recent CHP issuance numbers.

Here is a link to Jim\'s website. You will even find a picture of Betty there. ;) Betty is everywhere it seems. :D

So what is a good cause to be given a CCW in Cali???

~A

DC Founder
    Originally posted by APachon
    So what is a good cause to be given a CCW in Cali???

~A
    You\'re a family member or friend of the local police chief or sheriff? :yes:

Or a heavy contributor to his campaign huh???

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    You\'re a family member or friend of the local police chief or sheriff? :yes:

Sponsored Links