No Mental Evaluation For OK City Shooter

This is a discussion on No Mental Evaluation For OK City Shooter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A judge has refused to force Jerome Ersland to undergo a mental competency examination. Ersland is the OK City pharmacist who killed a wounded robber ...

Thread: No Mental Evaluation For OK City Shooter

No Mental Evaluation For OK City Shooter

A judge has refused to force Jerome Ersland to undergo a mental competency examination. Ersland is the OK City pharmacist who killed a wounded robber who was unarmed and incapacitated. Ersland has been charged with murder.

Ersland's trial date is set for June 21, 2010. The trial will be televised.

NewsOK

Prosecutors asked the judge to have Ersland evaluated. They wanted a mental health expert to determine if he is competent enough for a trial. Defense attorneys objected, saying Ersland is competent. At issue in a mental competency exam is whether a defendant understands the charge against him and can assist in his defense. In almost every case, defense attorneys ask for such exams, not prosecutors.

Prosecutors in Ersland’s case were concerned in part because Ersland has said they want to execute him. Prosecutors have not asked for the death penalty in his case.

2. Remove Ads

I hate to see an otherwise law abiding citizen get drug down this path. He'd be another unknown person doing his thing if the perps hadn't come upon him the way they did.
    The BGs opened up the floodgates when they started down the aggravated robbery road. Id like to say I have more self control that this gentleman exercised (easy to say since I havent been there, and hopefully never will). Sad the kid didnt realize the consequences of waving a gun around demanding money/drugs, etc.
    Unrealistic to think that this will go unpunished in our society, but in my world with my rules, he goes back to work and on with his life.
    Hed probably make a good guest speaker at the local high schools so he can share with them the outcome of robbing the local pharmacy.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

The kid that Ersland wounded and later returned to kill was unarmed. The guy Ersland chased from the store was armed.

Ersland got on TV like a resident hero and told a whole bunch of lies about his military service, PTSD and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I hate to see an otherwise law abiding citizen get drug down this path. He'd be another unknown person doing his thing if the perps hadn't come upon him the way they did.
    The BGs opened up the floodgates when they started down the aggravated robbery road. Id like to say I have more self control that this gentleman exercised (easy to say since I havent been there, and hopefully never will). Sad the kid didnt realize the consequences of waving a gun around demanding money/drugs, etc.
    Unrealistic to think that this will go unpunished in our society, but in my world with my rules, he goes back to work and on with his life.
    Hed probably make a good guest speaker at the local high schools so he can share with them the outcome of robbing the local pharmacy.
    ^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The kid that Ersland wounded and later returned to kill was unarmed. The guy Ersland chased from the store was armed.

Ersland got on TV like a resident hero and told a whole bunch of lies about his military service, PTSD and other stuff.
    If the kid had not been there participating in an armed robbery the kid would still be alive.

If I was on the pharmacist's jury it would most likely hang. Meaning I have the tendency to give a huge benefit of doubt to the pharmacist who was at work and didn't ask for a couple of criminals to come in and try to rob him.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    If the kid had not been there participating in an armed robbery the kid would still be alive.
    But he was a good kid! He was just caught up in the wrong crowd! It's not his fault! It's society's!

Wasn't exactly a good kid. I know someone who knew his father and the kid.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    But he was a good kid! He was just caught up in the wrong crowd! It's not his fault! It's society's!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    Wasn't exactly a good kid. I know someone who knew his father and the kid.
    Blueninja was being sarcastic,It seems like everytime a thug gets shot and or killed doing criminal stuff the relatives come out with a buncha crap about how he was gonn be applying at some prestigious college and turn his life around even tho he had no HS diploma or GED and he had a rap sheet longer than most peoples arms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links