Asst. coach pulls gun on soccer dad (MI)

This is a discussion on Asst. coach pulls gun on soccer dad (MI) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Asst. coach pulls gun on soccer dad | WOOD TV8 A Man Pulls Gun on Another Parent after Soccer Game - FOX 17 "FRUITPORT TOWNSHIP, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Asst. coach pulls gun on soccer dad | WOOD TV8

A Man Pulls Gun on Another Parent after Soccer Game - FOX 17

"FRUITPORT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - An assistant coach for the Fruitport Soccer Club was arrested after a game at Pine Park in Fruitport Township Saturday afternoon.

Police said several parents confronted James Sherrill on the field after witnessing the coach yelling and swearing at the boys, ages 8-10, that were playing the game.

After the initial confrontation was broken up, it continued after another parent approached Sherrill as he was leaving.

That is when police said Sherrill pulled a concealed 9mm handgun from its holster.

"He said, 'If you don't back off I'm gonna shoot you,'" said Fruitport Public Safety Department Chief Paul Smutz.

Police said Sherrill then drove himself to the police department to report what happened. He was then arrested for felonious assault and will be arraigned May 28.

While Sherrill did have a permit to carry the handgun, firearms are not allowed at sports arenas or stadiums. It will be up to the prosecutor to determine if he violated the law by having it at a park where there are soccer fields and baseball diamonds.

Police confiscated the coach's gun.

Chief Smutz said several people witnessed the incident in the packed park, as hundreds of children and their parents were there for games at the various fields.

The Fruitport Soccer Club said Sherrill was not a "rostered coach," and their entire staff is volunteers. Club representative Carrie Whipple told 24 Hour News 8 Sherrill was a parent who came down from the stands for a few minutes when the coach was distracted.

24 Hour News 8 caught up with Sherrill at his home. He walked away without comment"

I am interested to hear how this turns out, both in regard to whether he is charged for possession in a "stadium", and if it is deemed justified once the investigation is complete.

JD
    Administrator
    What a putz.

That's gonna' leave a mark...in his wallet...even if he doesn't go to jail.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Grislic View Post
    While Sherrill did have a permit to carry the handgun, firearms are not allowed at sports arenas or stadiums. It will be up to the prosecutor to determine if he violated the law by having it at a park where there are soccer fields and baseball diamonds.
    Legislature needs to clear this up, not the DA's office.

But from the account it sounds like this guy needs to learn the difference between anger and self defense, either way it gives the well behaved CCWers a bad reputation.

Glock Certified Armorer

He deserves a swift punch to the taint.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What a putz.
    Ditto

It depends upon the laws there ... being Michigan I can't imagine it's going to be good for him.

Coaching 8-10 yr olds can be amazingly frustrating..... sounds like he was just a fill in for the game. They don't tend to listen well and are full of energy, can't shut up for 15 seconds straight, etc. Parents, can be amazingly BAD and get out of control. I've seen it where parents followed referee's home and threatened to 'get them'. So don't under-estimate it just because it was a kids' game.

We had to call police because at a kid's baseball tournament, 2 bleachers of opposing team's parents cleared ... and it was turning into a literal riot out there.

He was smart enough to be the one report it to police. Obviously, he must have felt 'threatened', and it may have been a serious threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It depends upon the laws there ... being Michigan I can't imagine it's going to be good for him.

Coaching 8-10 yr olds can be amazingly frustrating..... sounds like he was just a fill in for the game. They don't tend to listen well and are full of energy, can't shut up for 15 seconds straight, etc. Parents, can be amazingly BAD and get out of control. I've seen it where parents followed referee's home and threatened to 'get them'. So don't under-estimate it just because it was a kids' game.

We had to call police because at a kid's baseball tournament, 2 bleachers of opposing team's parents cleared ... and it was turning into a literal riot out there.

He was smart enough to be the one report it to police. Obviously, he must have felt 'threatened', and it may have been a serious threat.

+1 This is what I'm thinking too!

You don't know enough yet. I'm thinking it is a stretch to say the "stadiums and sports arenas" is the same as a soccer field with no stands. Also, he had a confrontation on the field and walked away, and another person follows him to his car to continue it... and we don't know what that person was saying or doing that caused him to feel he had to pull his pistol. He also self reported it.

It will be interesting to see if he is charged, much less convicted.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I think you hit the nail on the head John K
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if he is charged, much less convicted.
    He was, and it was based soley on the account he gave to police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grislic View Post
    Police said Sherrill then drove himself to the police department to report what happened. He was then arrested for felonious assault and will be arraigned May 28.

Glock Certified Armorer

You don't know enough yet. I'm thinking it is a stretch to say the "stadiums and sports arenas" is the same as a soccer field with no stands. Also, he had a confrontation on the field and walked away, and another person follows him to his car to continue it... and we don't know what that person was saying or doing that caused him to feel he had to pull his pistol. He also self reported it.
    I wonder what everybody would be saying if the guy had been followed and beat up by the guy at his car and had no weapon to defend himself with? I would posit that the presence of the gun made the parent take a moment of pause and walk away.

And I would say that is a good result; a weapon reholstered, and everybody healthy.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

How can you state good result? Yes, all the facts are not known but if he drew his weapon on an unarmed person how is that a good result?

Once again another instance where OC/CS would have been the better tool choice/option to have at hand.

When you only have a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Im going to second Janqs post. I dont think I could have said it any better
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links