Third suicide attempt at a gun range?

This is a discussion on Third suicide attempt at a gun range? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Third apparent suicide attempt reported at shooting range - Salt Lake Tribune For the third time in less than a year, a self-inflicted gunshot was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third suicide attempt at a gun range?

Third suicide attempt at a gun range?

Third apparent suicide attempt reported at shooting range - Salt Lake Tribune

For the third time in less than a year, a self-inflicted gunshot was reported at a Murray shooting range.

A customer Monday night rented a handgun at the Get Some Guns & Ammo shooting range and apparently shot himself in the head, said Murray police Lt. Mike Fernandez. He was in critical condition at a hospital as of 9 p.m.

No one else was injured, and no one else reported being in the room, which was between the storefront and the range, Fernandez said.

In April, a woman shot and killed herself at the range, near 6500 South and State Street. Another suicide was reported there in December, Fernandez said.

I try to keep up pretty well with the news, especially firearm related news, but I never heard about the first two.

Strange place to choose to do that. Is this just an anomaly in Utah at this one range or does anyone else know if is it common anywhere else for a suicidal person to head to a gun range to try to kill themselves?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

I've seen similar stories, it might be the same range; I'll have to search. However, I do know that the last one I heard of that a member of the forum was a regular at the range and had been there recently.

Glock Certified Armorer

Sad commentary on our society. Now the one's who want to off themselves are using shooting ranges to do it. How convenient. This will just hammer home what the anti gun folks keep crowing about, that is "guns are dangerous and kill people."

Well, yes, firearms do exactly that, but their said purpose is to be used in self defense or in military conflicts, not what these suicidal folks are doing. It's going to get to the point that ranges who offer firearms for rent will have to either stop the practice or hire analysts to determine if the person renting the gun is mentaly stable.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I've heard of ranges in FL having this problem. But what is the solution?? The range I frequented had you fill out a questionaire, including questions like "Are you a felon" or "Have you thought of suicide with a firearm?" (I'm recalling--not sure those are verbatim). Anyone who is determined to kill themselves will do it any way they can. Heaven forbid, one of these people accompanies a friend....and runs down range as someone else is shooting....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

the only solution to this stuff is to not rent hand guns at ranges.
    guns rule

How else will I try before I buy D:?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

We have had one here in Las Vegas but it's been a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post

I really don't like that idea because occasionally I like to rent guns I haven't shot before to see if it's one I'd be interested in owning. Last month I rented a S&W .40 at a range and after shooting it, went right next door to the gun store and plopped down my plastic to purchase it. Had I not rented it, I would have still been pondering the purchase today..... instead of having it.

I wouldn't be opposed to limiting rentals to those who have valid permits as they have already passed the checks and likely already own firearms and therefore wouldn't need to rent one. Of course this isn't 100% fool proof.... but I think it's better than just not allowing rentals at all.

although this is obviously a terrible thing, and has got to be horrid on the people and the range and those working there, i dont think that they should be trying to do something to prevent it (like not renting handguns).
    If someone chooses to commit suiside, they have made that choice. I doubt this person wouldnt have done it if they didnt rent handguns, instead the person would have purchased a handgun and done it at home, or hung themselves or jumped off a bridge.
    at best by doing something drastic they may have a slightly better chance of not having to clean up the mess themselves.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    While this is sad and terrible, it could always be worse. At least the person didn't harm anyone else (physically) in his attempt. It's horrible, but at least no other innocent person got killed.

I hear about people driving the wrong way on a freeway in order to commit suicide. That puts OTHER people's lives in danger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    That's no different than saying we shouldn't sell cars because people have traffic accidents.

This person was going to do it one way or another; it's not the range's fault for renting guns.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

How sad to be one of the worker's that have to deal with seeing this not just once, but 3 times in one year. I imagine that's a sight that doesn't go away for quite a while, if ever.

As to how to prevent it? I have no idea. I think if someone is committed to actually doing it, they'll find a way. So sad.

As to the questionnaire at the range with the question "have you had suicidal thoughts", who would actually answer yes to that if they were planning on committing suicide that day at the range? Seems pointless to me to even have someone ask that. Although I'm guessing it was probably asked for some sort of legal protection in case one of the families decided to hold the gun range responsible and try to sue.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

yeah yeah yeah I'm not saying I agree with the solution I previously stated...I'm just saying the only way to prevent gun range suicides is to not rent them.

and the comment about not selling cars due to accidents is completely irrelevant...i think you meant to say to not let people test drive the cars because of traffic accidents.

Guns are so cheap and retain value so well that I feel that if you want to try a gun, go buy it! If you dont like it, sell it for what you bought it for...unless it's junk in which case you could have avoided the whole incident by googling the rep of your gun (i.e. taurus, sigmas, hi point)
    guns rule

A range local to me has implemented a rule that no one (who isn't a member) can go to the range alone. You have to bring two people. Apparently its a stipulation handed down by their insurance provider.

Guns are so cheap and retain value so well that I feel that if you want to try a gun, go buy it!
    I was told quite the opposite at my local gun shop (and it would have been in THEIR interest for me to buy) they said guns would lose a ton of value used.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links