Bad: one killed, eight wounded at graduation party (took place at my apartment comple

Bad: one killed, eight wounded at graduation party (took place at my apartment comple

This is a discussion on Bad: one killed, eight wounded at graduation party (took place at my apartment comple within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One killed, at least eight wounded in graduation party shooting | TuscaloosaNews.com It's a long article so I didn't want to post it directly. The ...

One killed, at least eight wounded in graduation party shooting | TuscaloosaNews.com

It's a long article so I didn't want to post it directly. The shooting took place inside the clubhouse at my apartment complex. My fiance and I have decided to move and already found a new place to live. It is not a knee jerk reaction; if you remember, I actually posted a thread here a few weeks ago about how I called the police after a man who lives in my building was outside at 2:30 A.M. shouting and cussing and ended up breaking a car windshield. I asked whether I did the right thing by not intervening and only calling the police to let them handle it.

In my year living here, I have witnessed the incident described above, a drug raid on the apartment directly above mine, a woman getting body slammed by a man in broad daylight two buildings over. This area of town is safe. I pay a lot to live here because I feel the need for my fiance and me to be safe and live in a peaceful environment.

As far as the shooting, that night, my fiance wanting to go skating around the premises during the time of the gunfire. She could have easily been caught up in the crossfire. Management here has failed all its residents. I've felt ever since I talked to them a few weeks ago about the guy who broke a windshield that they want to sweep things under the rug. Earlier today I told another apartment manager the story about the drunken guy breaking windshields and she said "AND HE DIDN'T GET EVICTED!"

I went out to the scene of the crime as soon as I saw flashing lights outside my apartment building. I think I went outside as soon as the first responders got there because I heard a lot of yelling as I stepped outside. It was crazy. At least 20 Tuscaloosa City police cars, 4 ambulances, 2 fire trucks. There were numerous unmarked police vehicles and a blockade on the entrance to the apartment community. It's supposed to be a "gated" community and management has sent us notices 3 times in the past year stating they were planning to activate the gates but they remain open 24/7.

All I know is I will be out of here soon and that means breaking my lease. I think 1 dead and 8 wounded is just cause.

I'm not sure of it's in the article since there are many stories on this by now. (just search for it in google news) The deceased was a boy who came with the shooter. In fact, 2 of the 8 wounded were also in the suspect's gang.

Sounds like trickle up poverty is working in Tuscaloosa?
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

This thug shot 9 people, killing one, and was given a $75,000 bail?
    (Is he related to the judge?)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

wow yikes. yea.. certainly find a new place to live!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I had a BBQ Sunday for my fiancee for her graduation and she asked why I had a gun on me...well...this is why... There are a lot of nut jobs out there.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

This thug shot 9 people, killing one, and was given a $75,000 bail?
    (Is he related to the judge?)

+1
    This criminal coddling just may be one of the reasons that we have these kinds of violent crimes.

I wonder who they'll have to let out of jail to put him in...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post

In my year living here, I have witnessed the incident described above, a drug raid on the apartment directly above mine, a woman getting body slammed by a man in broad daylight two buildings over. This area of town is safe.

I pay a lot to live here because I feel the need for my fiance and me to be safe and live in a peaceful environment.
    Ummm this post if full of contradiction..you clearly dont live in a safe area and are paying to much to do so. Sounds like you need re-evaluate your living situation...trying moving to another state.
    guns rule

I would notify management that I am moving due to their negligence and you expect to get security deposit returned upon cleaning and move.If they refuse then advise them you will take them to small claims court for failing to uphold their responsibilities,IE. Gated community that is never gated,Violent tenants that are never evicted even tho they are a danger to tenants etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would notify management that I am moving due to their negligence and you expect to get security deposit returned upon cleaning and move.If they refuse then advise them you will take them to small claims court for failing to uphold their responsibilities,IE. Gated community that is never gated,Violent tenants that are never evicted even tho they are a danger to tenants etc.
    This is great advice, I would even consider taking them to court even if they return your deposit.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    . This area of town is safe. I pay a lot to live here because I feel the need for my fiance and me to be safe and live in a peaceful environment.
    Glad you guys are ok and you're able to move. However, don't let yourself be lulled into believing that just because you pay a high rent or mortgage, or live in a "safe" neighborhood that you're actually safe.

A case in point here in NoVA recently was a shooting of a businessman at a multimillion dollar home here locally.
    Police Search For Suspects in Fatal Shooting In Centreville | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

Stay safe.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

New article: Three shooting victims were friends of suspect | TuscaloosaNews.com

Highlights from the article:

Prewitt was charged with murder Sunday and eight counts of attempted murder on Monday. He was being held Monday night in the Tuscaloosa County Jail with bail set at $195,000.

Court records indicate that Prewitt has been arrested twice previously for carrying a gun without a license, in 2008 and again in April.

Blaming guns for violence is like blaming a keyboard for typos.

Links