UGH! ND at Bass Pro...

This is a discussion on UGH! ND at Bass Pro... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UGH! ND at Bass Pro... Woman Accidentally Shot In Buttocks In Rancho Cucamonga Store - cbs2.com May 17, 2010 1:42 pm US/Pacific Woman Accidentally Shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGH! ND at Bass Pro...

Thumbs down UGH! ND at Bass Pro...

UGH! ND at Bass Pro...
    Woman Accidentally Shot In Buttocks In Rancho Cucamonga Store - cbs2.com
    May 17, 2010 1:42 pm US/Pacific
    Woman Accidentally Shot In Rancho Cucamonga Store
    Mark Sayre
    RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (CBS) ―

A woman was accidentally shot in the buttocks Sunday afternoon in a Rancho Cucamonga store that specializes in hunting and fishing gear.

Authorities said a woman was injured in an accidental shooting Sunday at a store that specializes in hunting and fishing gear in Rancho Cucamonga.

The incident happened at 3:45 p.m. at the Bass Pro Shop when a customer brought two of his own guns to the shop to use at the indoor firing range.

As he was checking in the weapons at the front door to verify that they were unloaded and to be trigger-locked, a bullet discharged within the carrying case and struck a customer standing in an aisle about 70 feet away, according to a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Trigger locks are put on all outside guns until a range master unlocks the trigger at the indoor range, the sheriff's spokeswoman said.

"I was actually by the fish tank when I heard the shot," Jose Coria, a customer, said.

The victim was hit in the buttocks and was treated at the scene by paramedics and then transported to a hospital. She was not seriously hurt, CBS 2/KCAL 9's Mark Sayre reported.

"I have been in here a few times to look at handguns and every time I come in, it is a secure environment," customer Jason Chavin said.

Store management had no comment on the incident and a spokesman at Bass Pro's corporate office could not be reached.

( MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Loaded gun in case,bet he reaches in grips gun to pull it out and pulls the trigger,Poor trigger discipline,and unless he has a permit he was carrying a loaded weapon,which AFAIK is against California laws,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Whats ND?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Whats ND?
    Negligent Discharge.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Whats ND?
    ND = 'Negligent Discharge'

We talk about this here all the time.
    As specifically related to firearms, use and their handling...99.9% of incidents of any firearm sort are directly related to discharge (fire) as by negligence.

For example in this case the gun owner was negligent four times over:

1) He did not _CLEAR_ the firearm off site (at home) as prior to placing it in the transport container, and transporting it.
    Clear as in check the chamber/chambers (revolvers have multiple chambers) and to check for clear and if possible remove any magazine.
    Transporting a loaded (!) gun, off body, is in itself a violation of most states laws AND is just plain stupid period.

2) He did not have his firearm as transported within the container locked so as to be disabled.
    Likely he tossed the gun into a lockable container itself and felt like ehh I'm good then hit the road.
    If he had at home installed the requisite, per Bass Pro range policy, lock so as to actively disable the trigger or action himself then this would not have occurred...And his loaded chamber issue very likely would have been discovered at that time.

3) He did not practice proper handling of the firearm, which resulted in a discharge.
    Upon attempting to remove the firearm from it's transport case he picked it up by the grip and placed his finger not only onto the trigger but he actually went forward further and toggled it (!).
    This too is a huge do not do and goes against all manner of normal and standard firearms practice.

4) He did not locate a safe area first so as to be handling firearms, that might be LIVE thus the stores policy to check & secure (!), and by that he in handling a firearm pointed it's bore down range at a human being who was shopping in the store.
    The store employee allowed him to do same as well, but primary fault & blame lies in the hands of the firearm handler himself.

Not one of these active items of _action_ were 'accidental'.

The gun handler could have four times actually prevented this incident from having occurred if he had addressed just one if not all four of these points of error.

Every one of these errors were made as purposeful acts.

He likely did not purposefully intend to shoot a person that day. But his individual actions that lead up to the person being shot were in fact purposeful.
    By that he is guilty of negligence as in being negligent, resulting in a 'negligent discharge'.

For more info on the very simple to understand, memorize and practice 'Three Rules of Firearm Safety', go here; NRA Gun Safety Rules

If this person as shot were my mother/wife/daughter or even me i would encourage them to sue in civil court for damages and restitution of my losses both real (medical expenses and job time off pay reduction) as well as in 'pain & suffering'.
    I would not be wrong nor a jerk for doing so either...and I'd win, as well I or rather this person should.

Having the right to keep and carry arms does involve and require responsibility.
    Shirk that responsibility and very easily as well as commonly results will include property and/or personal damages.

Negligence.

- Janq

"An unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought." - http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/accident
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

i dont know why but whenever i hear about someone getting shot in the buttocks I think of Ethan hawk shooting deznel in the ass in Training Day...."You shot me in the ass!"
    guns rule

As he was checking in the weapons at the front door to verify that they were unloaded and to be trigger-locked, a bullet discharged within the carrying case and struck a customer standing in an aisle about 70 feet away, according to a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Trigger locks are put on all outside guns until a range master unlocks the trigger at the indoor range, the sheriff's spokeswoman said.

So does the customer put the trigger lock on.... or does a store employee check the gun and put the trigger lock on? The gun didn't just "discharge" on it's own.... someone's finger pulled that trigger.... the article isn't clear on whose finger it was.

Yes the owner of the gun was WRONG WRONG WRONG for transporting a loaded firearm in California. Still...I wonder whose finger was on that trigger?
    Last edited by Gulf Girl; May 18th, 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typos

i dont know why but whenever i hear about someone getting shot in the buttocks I think of Ethan hawk shooting deznel in the ass in Training Day...."You shot me in the ass!"
    I always think of Forest Gump. or Bad Boys II :p
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I always think of Forest Gump. or Bad Boys II :p
    hahah Forest Gump "something just jumped up and bit me" hahah
    guns rule

I still say there is no such thing as accidental discharge or negligent discharge, you have mechanical failure and MORON discharge instead. I find that to be a much more accurate term.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

As he was checking in the weapons at the front door to verify that they were unloaded and to be trigger-locked ...
    Wow. Performing the step of clearing/unloading right there at the entrance to the store. Seems clearly obvious that any ND can strike a person within reach. Of all places at the store's facility, I would think the one place you'd want to avoid performing such things would be at the entrance.

Amazing that they had a range on premises and still required such clearing/unloading to occur at the entrance.

Far better to do any clearing/unloading of the gun at home or elsewhere, prior to putting it in a container and bringing it to the store. The last several times that I've brought a gun to the gun shop, I have first opened the action and inserted a chamber flag. Not once, since then, has anyone failed to be able to see the gun is unloaded and safe. Works every time. Seems far preferable than allowing others to booger up the situation by mishandling things, or for me to forget a step myself. Far safer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Oh, she was seriously hurt! Just wait until her lawyer [John Edwards?] tells her how bad she is, can't have sex or control her pee because of PTSD.

Yes, I believe they will have a new co-owner of that Bass Pro Shop very soon! She may limp a little, but she's going to like her new store!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Wouldnt it be safer to NOT require ANY gun handling until on the range?? Odds are eventually somebody will screw up due to the human condition. Unnecessary gun handling=potential for error increases.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Mr. Practicle Tacticle had one in the chamber, set off by his trigger finger with the safety off, I bet, much to his regret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links