Mom shoots dog attacking daughter

This is a discussion on Mom shoots dog attacking daughter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a dog.... he's a big old bucket of love.... but still ... at 109 lbs. he is intimidating to people who don't know ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom shoots dog attacking daughter

I have a dog.... he's a big old bucket of love.... but still ... at 109 lbs. he is intimidating to people who don't know him and therefore don't know that he's really a teddy bear. I keep my dog in my yard and when we are out in public he is on a leash and under my control. I also keep my fence gates padlocked so no kids in the neighborhood can open the gates.

In the five years I've had my dog he's only gotten out once... because I left the gate open. A neighbor called me to tell me he was down running around her house and that she tried to grab him... but he was too quick. I went flying out my front door to go get him... and wouldn't you know it... he was standing on the front porch with a ****-eating guilty grin on his face.

No matter how much I love dogs..... they shouldn't be wandering free. My biggest fear when my dog got out was that someone would shoot him.... if that happened it would have been TOTALLY my fault.... I'm responsible for keeping him home and under my control and safe.

Don't EVEN get me started on people who let their cats run free.....

2. Remove Ads

Are you noticing EMS treated and left ? The girl in the video ... see any marks ?

A dog that size could have killed her easily in that time frame. So, I"m really wondering how serious an attack it was, if....

Also, I do have issue with Mom going out with the gun after everyone is safe, and the "dog was just standing there"....... so she shot.

This one is just not passing the smell test with me.

don't know about this one. after watching the video, looks like another story made much worst than it really is by the media! the girl was treated @the scene.
    i feel so bad for the dog. i really wish he or she can tell his/her side of the story!
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

I have five dogs. They are family members. If they make a bad bite I will shoot them. There are just some things I won't tolerate.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    If your dog comes into my yard and gets aggressive with my kid, you'll be minus one dog; and I won't care if there's not a scratch on my child or if you're standing right there on the sidewalk when it happens. I'm not going to play "wait and see" or delude myself into thinking that a boxer only has two speeds ("Play" and "KILL") with no other levels of aggression in between.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I agree that the dog probably didn't need to be shot, and a call to animal control would have been more appropriate, but at the same time, I read at least once a week about some kid who has been killed or severely maimed by a dog.
    If people can't keep control of their pets, and it ends up on someone else's property where it can be perceived as a threat...
    If one of my children (or another child for that matter) is attacked by a dog, it's going down with no hesitation, period.

Hey, I like dogs in general and as pets. We have two of them.

I have taught my children to not approach dogs because of what can and does happen all too often. Too many children, babies and even adults have either been killed, mamed, or disfigured by agressive, attacking dogs.

I will not have one of my children go through life with a scarred or disfigured face due to my inaction just because 'I didn't want to have to shoot an attacking dog".

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I was not there. I did not see the attack. If the dog was truly "attacking" her kid the kid would be the worse for wear. I am a huge dog lover. Everyone I know has dogs. It is a general consensus that if anyones dog bites one of our children in a mean spirited way (nips happen when kids play rough) then that dog will need to be put down. Whether that is in the back yard or the pound. I would like to know who lets their 6 yr old and 3 yr old play in the driveway without supervision. Dont get me wrong kids that young can play without supervision in a controlled area such as a fenced in back yard, but in a neighborhood like that in CA? Had they been supervised or in a fenced in yard there would have not been this problem. Who am I to judge?

I did not see the video...I was relying upon the story. A dog bites my child's face...too late for discussion. I guess I'd have to be there.

I have an Irish Wolfhound...33-34 inches at the shoulders and she's only 10 months old. She can be a lot to handle when she wants to play...a regular 'Baby Huey'. She is never out alone, and I always have full control. She has taken off on me to play with the kids a few houses down...she loves kids. They know her and so it's not a problem. If someone were to shoot that pup, playing with the kids......someone would have some 'splainin' to do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Did you watch the video!!! The father was holding her and not a single scratch could be seen...
    Maybe I'm wrong, but if you watch the video again, wasn't the girl who was attacked only shown with photos?
    I think they said they have 6 kids.
    I agree with you that if that girl we see...was the one attacked, the boxer was just playing.
    Even so, such play can quickly escalate to a vicious attack if a dog senses intense fear and panic. I've witnessed that personally.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    I would like to know who lets their 6 yr old and 3 yr old play in the driveway without supervision.

I think the bigger question is who lets their dog just roam free? If the dog is someone's pet then that person is negligent for letting their dog roam free. If the dog is a stray then there is no way of knowing if it's had rabies shots or not. A child doesn't have to be mauled to get rabies.... a single bite could do it.

I don't have kids... but the kids on my street play out front all the time.... often unsupervised. I live on a small private street with only 5 houses and only one way into our street. There is no through traffic and we look out for each other. As much as I love dogs.... if I saw a strange dog being aggressive with one of the neighborhood kids I'd do WHATEVER it took to end that .... including putting a bullet in the dogs head if it came to that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    No large bulldog breed attacked that girl..hey may have nudged and trampled a little but it was playing..
    If that would have been my boxer we would have some real problems..
    Bad shoot in my book..
    Don't send your dog onto my property and then tell me how I should react. I love dogs but if a strange dog came into my yard and even looked a little threatening then he will have a problem.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    If your dog comes into my yard and gets aggressive with my kid, you'll be minus one dog; and I won't care if there's not a scratch on my child or if you're standing right there on the sidewalk when it happens. I'm not going to play "wait and see" or delude myself into thinking that a boxer only has two speeds ("Play" and "KILL") with no other levels of aggression in between.
    I hope that's a bridge I never have to cross.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links