Another gap in the Thin Blue Line

Another gap in the Thin Blue Line

This is a discussion on Another gap in the Thin Blue Line within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two More Suspects In Death Of Officer In Custody - Chicagoist Two More Suspects In Death Of Officer In Custody As almost two hundred people ...

Thread: Another gap in the Thin Blue Line

VIP Member

Thumbs down Another gap in the Thin Blue Line

Two More Suspects In Death Of Officer In Custody - Chicagoist

Two More Suspects In Death Of Officer In Custody

As almost two hundred people gathered to mourn the death of Chicago Police officer Thomas Wortham IV, police announced two more suspects in his shooting death are now in custody. One suspect turned himself in to police yesterday afternoon while another was apprehended last night during a traffic stop. Police say the men were part of a group of four, originally reported as three, that tried to rob Wortham of his motorcycle on Wednesday night as he was leaving his parents' Chatham house. During the incident, Wortham's father came to his aid and gunfire was exchanged; one suspect was killed while another was critically wounded, though police are still sorting exactly who shot who.

At his press conference yesterday afternoon, Mayor Daley said of Wortham, who had just returned from a second tour of duty in Iraq, "We think of him not only serving our city, but our country. All of our hearts were saddened, and we'll pray for his family and pray for all members of the Chicago Police Department." Ald. Freddrenna Lyle (6th) reacted with disbelief, saying, "You go to Iraq. It's a war zone. You come back to a community you've been safe in all of your life and lose your life? It's just unfathomable."

Wortham, who was off-duty at the time of his death, is the sixth Chicago Police officer to be killed in the last two years: Richard Francis, Robert Soto, Nathaniel Taylor Jr., Alejandro "Alex" Valadez, and Sgt. Alan Haymaker. Two more officers, Michael Robbins and Detective Joseph M. Airhart Jr., have died in that same time period from complications due to earlier incidents.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Damn. People suck.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Very sad....Anytime...Anywhere....Be prepared...

RIP Officer Wortham IV
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickinchi View Post
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-robbers.html
    I can't help but think that while a lot of people feel safer owning guns, these two men with more experience and training than most people were not made any safer by having guns. In fact they may have been less safe.
    Because thugs are very professional. If they want your bike, you can bet they're honor bound to stop their aggression once they get it. I mean, it's just SILLY to even imagine that a criminal would ever harm someone after getting what he wanted, nevermind a whole group of them.

The fact of the matter is that two scumbags ended up dead and the others are going to jail over a motorcycle.

And Officer Wortham ended up dead because he knew he had two choices: Maybe get killed, or Definitely get killed. He knew this because his training, experience, and instincts told him so through factors during the event that have not yet been (and might never be) reported. He had the backbone and tools to try for Maybe.

My prayers go out to his family.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Because thugs are very professional. If they want your bike, you can bet they're honor bound to stop their aggression once they get it. I mean, it's just SILLY to even imagine that a criminal would ever harm someone after getting what he wanted, nevermind a whole group of them.

The fact of the matter is that two scumbags ended up dead and the others are going to jail over a motorcycle.

And Officer Wortham ended up dead because he knew he had two choices: Maybe get killed, or Definitely get killed. He knew this because his training, experience, and instincts told him so through factors during the event that have not yet been (and might never be) reported. He had the backbone and tools to try for Maybe.

My prayers go out to his family.
    jumpwing, your 100% correct in your evaluation of this one! Prayers for officer and family.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

RIP Officer Wortham IV
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Prayer on way for the family!!!

He did go down fighting, and from my point of view, that makes him brave and a hero!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Too bad the off duty officer wasn't armed along with his father. Perhaps it would have tipped the odds in his favor. He braved the risks of war and being an LEO and he lost his life to thugs over his motorcycle while off duty. That's aweful. Prayers to his family. I can't imagine how his father is coping having been there. Tragic and senseless.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links