Mayor Daley threatens reporter

This is a discussion on Mayor Daley threatens reporter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Chicago Mayor Offers to Put Gun in Reporter's 'Butt' Could any of us get away with this without legal problems?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayor Daley threatens reporter

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

Mayor Daley threatens reporter

FOXNews.com - Chicago Mayor Offers to Put Gun in Reporter's 'Butt'

Could any of us get away with this without legal problems?

2. Remove Ads

Before making a call on that parsed quote...I'd like to see video of this exchange so that it can be taken as within full context.

Reading that single quote I can see how that statement could be interpreted in more than one way, not all as a pejorative.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Before making a call on that parsed quote...I'd like to see video of this exchange so that it can be taken as within full context.

Reading that single quote I can see how that statement could be interpreted in more than one way, not all as a pejorative.

- Janq
    You give Daley too much credit. Screw him, he's guilty as charged. No matter what a video shows.

Daley is too blind to his ideology. Case in point:
    Jacquelyn Heard, Daley's press secretary, later told the Chicago Sun-Times that Daley was somewhat exasperated because the individual asking the question -- a reporter from the Chicago Reader -- was "missing the point that unrestricted guns are a devastating issue" for the city.
    Seriously? The guys father had a gun....but it's ok because he's a retired LEO? Really?? So regular people can't carry because you're afraid they might used them against LEOs? Hint: The BGs are already doing that....it's the people who aren't LEOs who are caught in the middle and unable to defend themselves.

Have they not looked at the other states around them? WT_ do they think is sooooo special about Chicago? Hint: NOTHING.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Now Mayor the question was about effectiveness of the city's handgun ban. not the effectiveness of a handgun.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    You give Daley too much credit. Screw him, he's guilty as charged. No matter what a video shows.
    Understood, and appreciated.
    But I have to give him some benefit.

Why?

Because if I don't and am capricious about him and/or this news source (FoxNews is well known for being slanted and poor in reporting methods), then I have to be capricious and not give benefit of doubt to any and all including the political people I just so happen to like.

To my mind fairness, consistency, accuracy and balance is what's key.

Anything less than that and I might as well be same as Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, McCarthy (NY-D), Brady and a whole line of others that are none of these characteristics and cause me & us heartburn.

So yeah, I know the guy is a jerk.
    But I gotta make calls and judgments as based on facts; Not factoids & quotes as parsed and possibly, but not assuredly, taken out of context.

Otherwise my own house of cards falls apart.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Janq, you're right on. That said, I think Daley has established himself as a Grade-A tool time and time again. His benefit, in my case, was long ago exhausted. I still won't condemn anyone without knowing "the rest of the story," but it's a pretty fair bet that if Daley was involved, he was on the very wrong end of right...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

What's a shame though is that this is what is catching the news, not that Chicago is losing off duty police officers because thugs don't think there is consequence to stealing a motorcycle, and if it weren't for the fact that the father was a retired police officer as well this could have very well been two not one fatality. What's special about Chicago is that it has been so out of control for so long.

To answer the OP's question I do believe if one of us mere civilians said this it would be Aggravated Assault charges if we where holding a rifle while doing so, as the article states. Conviction is a whole different than being charged.

Glock Certified Armorer

Odds on favorite is that you guys are correct, OPFOR & Rusty. :|

- Janq

JT
    FoxNews is well known for being slanted and poor in reporting methods
    Well known to whom? Is this a well known opinion, or fact? Please define what you mean by "well known". After all, we want to keep up the reporting standards here.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Video:
    YouTube - Mayor Daley gun 'up your butt'.flv

Trib.
    What's the stupidest thing Daley has ever said? - chicagotribune.com

Sun Times.
    Daley: Gun ban 'effective' :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: City Hall

NBC
    You Want to Shove That Gun Somewhere, Mayor Daley? Talk to the President. | NBC Chicago

CBS
    Mayor Daley Regrets "Up Your Butt" Comment About City's Handgun Ban - cbs2chicago.com

Chicago Public Radio, note lack of comment in this one about the same conference
    City Room - Metro - Daley Holds Out Hope for City's Gun Ban
    But discusses his plans to pass more legislation to make life difficult for gun owners
    Still, Daley says he'll work with aldermen "immediately" to draft an ordinance in case the ban is overturned. That may include one of several options to make buying guns in Chicago more difficult, including a requirement that gun owners buy liability insurance, take firearms traning courses and submit weapons to ballistics tests, Daley suggested.
    WGN
    Chicago Gun Ban: Daley talks about city's gun ban and upcoming ruling - WGN

So can this no longer be about alleged slanted Fox news reporting?

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Well known to whom? Is this a well known opinion, or fact? Please define what you mean by "well known". After all, we want to keep up the reporting standards here.
    IMHO, Fox is as slanted as CNN...the slant is just 180 degrees out...

So, if you like your slant right...you most likely think Fox is "just right"...

Its human nature, folks...there is no, one news source that is "neutral"...you have to consume more than one, know which is slanted what way, and then make up your mind...

Be an educated consumer...just like when you purchase ammo or a weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Well known to most everyone who keeps up with news reporting.

Well known meaning have a history that is widely understood.

All of the news media agencies have varying degrees of imbalance, this to is well known.
    While Fox in specific has a history of it's own devising that is not one for being known as impartial, completely (!) accurate and as related to my statement reporting folks statements in full context.

I hope that answers your questions and helps clear up any wonder.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    So can this no longer be about alleged slanted Fox news reporting?
    Outstanding.

Although I did not allege anything.
    What I said was I wanted to see video so that I could see the full context of the statement.
    That is not an allegation, it's a statement of taking a conservative position prior to making an assessment.

- Janq

JT
    Well known to most everyone who keeps up with news reporting.
    And yet, in recent poll by Public Policy Polling Fox is the most trusted news network, by a 10% margin.

Fox Is The Most Trusted Name In News According To New Poll | NewsBusters.org

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...tional_126.pdf

Now, if what you meant was that in your opinion "Fox News is slanted and has poor reporting methods", that’s fine. That’s your opinion. But your statement "FoxNews is well known for being slanted and poor in reporting methods" sounded to me like you were presenting a fact. So, I was looking for facts.

If I mistook what was you voicing your personal opinion, with what I thought was your intention to present a fact, I apologize.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links