Another death due to census.....

This is a discussion on Another death due to census..... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What were census workers doing coming around at 10:30 AT NIGHT?!?!?! Woman shot, killed by Yuba City police A woman was shot by two police ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another death due to census.....

VIP Member

What were census workers doing coming around at 10:30 AT NIGHT?!?!?!

Woman shot, killed by Yuba City police

A woman was shot by two police officers late Thursday in south Yuba City after she approached them with a shotgun and refused to put down her weapon, according to a department press release.

Victoria Helen Roger-Vasselin, 67, was shot by two Yuba City officers and pronounced dead at the scene.

Police were called to the 700 block of Mariner Loop after a U.S. Census worker was confronted by residents who pointed a firearm at the worker and said they would not answer any questions.

When officers arrived, a man identified as Lionel Patterson, 51, answered the door armed with a handgun. As the officers dealt with him, Roger-Vasselin approached with a shotgun and ignored the officers' orders to put down the weapon. She advanced and continued to point the shotgun at the officers in a threatening manner, at which point the officers fired their service weapons.

The two officers, whose names weren't released by the department, have been placed on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated by the Sutter County District Attorney's Office.

Neighbors reported hearing four gunshots at about 10:20 p.m.

"We heard four loud bangs. We were about half asleep. It was so loud," a neighbor said. "In this kind of neighborhood, nothing like this ever happens."

Roger-Vasselin's family members, including her children and grandchildren, were waiting outside the home after the shooting.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

what kind of chick is named Roger?
    guns rule

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    what kind of chick is named Roger?
    Hypenated last name

Full name Victoria Helen Roger-Vasselin

And I too wonder what a census worker was doing out that late at night.

JT
    Obviously, she should not have approached the police with a shotgun.

But as for what started the incident…if someone showed up at my door after 10pm, I would have had a hard time believing they were actually a census worker. I would not have opened my door to them.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Seems wrong person was shot if it was a census work that late at night.
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

Have the Police not heard... that some people at that age don't hear as well ?

I don't see that she threatened them with the gun at all. Questionable.... to me that it was not over-reaction.

No Census worker better be showing up at my door at that time of night, or they would find me at the door with gun on my side ..... although , I wouldn't answer the door in the first place at that time.

It seems that with the thinking of some of the Census Workers, they should have just waited inside until she broke in. That way the police would be responding to a burglary call, or a house invasion!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Have the Police not heard... that some people at that age don't hear as well ?

I don't see that she threatened them with the gun at all. Questionable.... to me that it was not over-reaction.

No Census worker better be showing up at my door at that time of night, or they would find me at the door with gun on my side ..... although , I wouldn't answer the door in the first place at that time.
    You can be deaf and still recognize a police officer, or in this case TWO of them, and tell the difference between police and census worker. I doubt it was a real census worker in the first place that brought the police to this address, but still, they came and was definitely confronted.

As long as the police didn't bust in the door without warning there should have been no reason to point a shotgun at them.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Simply by looking at a person you cannot tell their hearing level, vision level, nor competence.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    You can be deaf and still recognize a police officer, or in this case TWO of them, and tell the difference between police and census worker. I doubt it was a real census worker in the first place that brought the police to this address, but still, they came and was definitely confronted.

As long as the police didn't bust in the door without warning there should have been no reason to point a shotgun at them.
    It never said she pointed a gun at them. And, what's the point you are trying to make. A person has a gun because they thought they needed protection for whatever reason, police show up, they are happy and the thought never enters their brain they have a gun in their hand.

I've seen it happen many times.

In one situation.... . It took 20 minutes to get it across to one guy, he had a SHOTGUN in his hand and needed to put it down. "HUH, what did you say ? " as he walked toward police with drawn guns... and he thought they were pointing the guns at the BG , not him... but it was him they were pointed at. He was waving that thing in everyone's direction, not intentionally, just wasn't even thinking about it at all.

Restraint and understanding (he might not be hearing them) by the officers, kept him from getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Simply by looking at a person you cannot tell their hearing level, vision level, nor competence.
    As a spin off that, does anyone take that into account when they are in a SD situation?

If there is a perceived threat that is imminent, time would not allow.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It never said she pointed a gun at them. And, what's the point you are trying to make.
    I do believe you need to read this again. I will even post it and hilight it for you.

When officers arrived, a man identified as Lionel Patterson, 51, answered the door armed with a handgun. As the officers dealt with him, Roger-Vasselin approached with a shotgun and ignored the officers' orders to put down the weapon. She advanced and continued to point the shotgun at the officers in a threatening manner, at which point the officers fired their service weapons.

Does this need to be any more clear? If it does then maybe you need to read it for several more minutes.

Back to my point . . .

If someone calls the police to your house because you pointed a weapon at someone then its probably not wise to point the weapon at the police when they arrive. The police were not there because they wanted to be.

The police never busted in, they knocked and was let in. I think it is clear they were not confused with being census workers so why did the woman advance with the shotgun in a threatening manner?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I wonder if he really was a Census worker. He was an idiot if he really was out working that late.

However, I don't believe this was a death due to the census. The woman killed stuck her own neck out separately from the census guy being out.

It was directly related to the census worker being there. The police were called because the census worker showed up and was met by armed people.

I would've been armed too, if I was answering the door that late at all, but that woman definitely should've put the shotgun down when she realized police were there, or the man who answered the door should've taken it from her/told her what was going on.

A shame someone had to die because of an apparent misunderstanding.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links