Police enter wrong house in drug raid Sebastian County,Arkansas

This is a discussion on Police enter wrong house in drug raid Sebastian County,Arkansas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not quite a taking of the door at gunpoint, but still not something that should occur. The Times Record: News - Officers Enter Wrong House ...

Thread: Police enter wrong house in drug raid Sebastian County,Arkansas

Not quite a taking of the door at gunpoint, but still not something that should occur.

The Times Record: News - Officers Enter Wrong House In Drug Raid
    The Times Record: News - Officers Enter Wrong House In Drug Raid
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Drug investigators entered the wrong house while trying to serve a search warrant last week.

Investigators from the Sebastian County Sheriff's Office, the 12th/21st Judicial Drug Task Force and the Barling Police Department had the homeowners handcuffed by the time they realized the mistake, said Capt. Kevin Nickson.

All the paperwork for the search warrant was correct, said Prosecuting Attorney Dan Shue.

The night-time search warrant was to be executed at a Holly Avenue residence, according to court records.

Instead, authorities entered another home on Holly Avenue where a man, woman and baby who are "law-abiding citizens" live, authorities said.

Authorities said the door to the residence was unlocked, and they opened it and walked in.

Investigator Cpl. Anthony Sacco was out checking the address on the mailbox as other investigators entered the house. Once inside, Sacco alerted Nickson, who also was there, about the mistake.

The man and woman were not arrested and handcuffs were taken off them. A baby was also present, but was asleep the entire time.

"You can't apologize enough for a screwup like that," Nickson said.

While it was a Drug Task Force case, the majority of law enforcement officers were from the Sheriff's Office.

The protocol normally followed before executing a search warrant calls for investigators to scout out the location prior to the search. That was not done in this case.

"That's the kind of mistakes we can't afford to make," Nickson said.

Investigators later served the search warrant on a nearby house, where they arrested three people and recovered marijuana from the residence, said Nickson.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

VIP Member
    "Investigator Cpl. Anthony Sacco was out checking the address on the mailbox as other investigators entered the house."

Uh, sounds like they put the cart before the horse.

Thank God that it did not go as bad as some similar incidents have. That is why I have plain sticky house numbers with my name on my mailbox; black sticky house numbers on my white front door; and my house number painted on my curb. The police appreciate it, but I does not hurt to double check your paperwork.

Thank God the citizen wasn't armed or didn't try to defend his home as a bunch of armed men burst through his door at night. He'd be shot dead in front of his wife and baby, a cop or two may have been killed or injured, the other cops would all nod sagely at the good shoot, and the apologists would sit around and say he shouldn't have been armed in the first place. When will this insanity end?

They should have been sure of the address prior to entering the residence. Someone will be talking to the boss about this one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

No excuse for this kind of ineptness...are numbers that hard to figure out?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree, That the Task Force Was NEGLIGENT! No Excuse!! ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

It didn't say if it was a no-knock warrant or not, door unlocked? Bet they lock the door from now on!
    I don't care to much for no-knock warrants, I feel they get used to many times for reasons that don't warrant it (no pun intended). Yes, they have their place I realize.
    An innocent man or woman or LEO could have died because of a foolish mistake, over what? A little pot? Has happened before!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Ridiculous.
    I used to keep up better with the headlines from my home state, but things are keeping me rather busy these days. Thanks for posting.

I do my gun shopping in Barling...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Administrator
    Somebody was cutting a few corners on this one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I moved to Vegas from this area and they are luck there were no fireworks. They got very lucky.

They are going to start a reality cop show in Fort Smith AR which is about 5 miles from where this happened. They are adopting the officer carried camera that looks like a bluetooth headset that provides a first person view point. It has already saved one officers rear when a office involved shooting was questioned. I believe that every one is much more polite when there are cameras and firearms around.

Administrator
    oh my... lets not get started on the cameras and the problems they cause. Reality TV and cop shows in general have been a nightmare for LE. I wish they would go away.

Thats all off topic, so enough of that silliness.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links