Bad headline; Good outcome

This is a discussion on Bad headline; Good outcome within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Botched Home Invasion" headline should have been "Burglar Shot by Homeowner." Not every burglary is an home invasion and the the BG didn't just fall ...

Thread: Bad headline; Good outcome

VIP Member

Bad headline; Good outcome

"Botched Home Invasion" headline should have been "Burglar Shot by Homeowner."

Not every burglary is an home invasion and the the BG didn't just fall out the window or trip over his own feet. The homeowner shot him.

If the BG botched anything it was bringing a tire iron to a gunfight, which was good for the homeowner, who wasn't carrying and had the extra time to reach for the shotgun.

http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local...vasion/162409/
    Marion deputies arrest burglar shot in botched home invasion

NICHOLS — Marion County sheriff’s deputies have arrested a burglar shot during a botched home invasion Friday.

John Wesley Collins, 32, of 6985 S.C. 9, Nichols is charged with two counts of burglary and assault with intent to kill, according to a sheriff’s office press release. He is being treated at a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries, after which he will be taken to Marion County Detention Center.

Deputies responded to a call on Pee Dee Island Road near Nichols where a homeowner called and reported a burglar in his home.

According to a press release, the homeowner saw a car under the carport when returning home. When the homeowner walked to the door, he saw the front door had been forced open.

Deputies said the homeowner kept a shotgun behind the door, reached for it and about that time a burglar came walking out of a room with some with stolen items.

The homeowner held the burglar at gunpoint and called 911. That’s when the burglar rushed the homeowner, threatening him with a tire tool and was struck once with a shot through the hand and into the leg. The 70-year-old homeowner was unharmed.

Deputies said Collins is on probation for another burglary charge in 2009.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 22nd, 2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

So, would it have read "Successful Home Invasion" if they had murdered the homeowner?

Crazy, just crazy, how people perceive reality...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

That homeowner's lucky the burgler didn't discover his shotty behind the door when he forced it open.

Good outcome.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm sorry to hear the homeowner was such a poor shot....hopefully he'll practice more.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    So, would it have read "Successful Home Invasion" if they had murdered the homeowner?

Crazy, just crazy, how people perceive reality...
    x2
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

This dirtbag was already on probation for the same thing...learned a lot didn't he...

Too bad the old guy didn't put him on 'permanent' probation...also known as 'dirtnap' probation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How do you miss with a shotgun?

By miss I mean BG not dead!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    How do you miss with a shotgun?

By miss I mean BG not dead!
    70 years old, glasses got foggy maybe, left them on the table, got tired
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    70 years old, glasses got foggy maybe, left them on the table, got tired
    Hey! As a 70 years old I resemble that.

My guess is he was off a bit because he was ducking a tire iron.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links