BAD: Accident leads to road-rage shooting

This is a discussion on BAD: Accident leads to road-rage shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Accident Leads To Road Rage Shooting - WREG (Memphis 5/11/2010) A simple car accident ended with violence after both drivers pulled guns Sunday night. Now, ...

Accident Leads To Road Rage Shooting - WREG

(Memphis 5/11/2010) A simple car accident ended with violence after both drivers pulled guns Sunday night.

Now, a man is in jail after the case of road rage and another man now claims self-defense.

The accident-turned-shooting happened along South Third near Bodley in South Memphis.

Charged with two counts of aggravated assault, 21-year-old Carnell Lowe was booked into jail with gunshots in his leg and foot.

To add insult to injury, police say the man who shot him did it in self-defense.

According to police, Lowe got into an accident with another driver, 28-year-old Lawrence Harwell who asked if Lowe was okay. Instead, they ended up arguing.

Then, police say, Lowe threatened to get a gun and Harwell said, "Don't do that bro".

When Lowe grabbed his gun from his trunk Harwell opened fire.

When police got to the scene, Harwell admitted firing and said, "I have a gun and permit."

Harwell's grandmother says she doesn't blame him and would have probably done the same thing.

Lowe has bonded out of jail and police say he admitted he got shot when he threatened to turn the fender bender violent.
    The 21-yr old sounds like a Darwin candidate....threaten someone that you're going to get your gun....turn to get it...as you turn around, get shot by someone who already has theirs ready.

Immature punk makes the rest of us gun owners look like idiots.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If the idiot who went to go get his gun for a bit of expressway-escalation actually fired on the guy, he could be up for attempted murder.

The guy's grandmother should reassess his moral grounding, if she believes he didn't cause the situation and wouldn't blame him for it. If as described, if it was unprovoked and an assault as claimed by the police, then her little wannabe thug is going down a very dark road.

I once had a guy in an old "lead sled" pull out in front of me coming the opposite direction. Twisted my ride into a pretzel. We sat on the curb chuckling about the odds of his car not having a scratch and mine being totaled. I sat there musing about how "they don't make 'em like they used to" while he winced and worried about what his dad would say (him being 17yrs of age). We both knew insurance would cover the mess, either way. It wasn't hardly worth coming to blows over. Can't imagine it ever needing to, even in a really ugly "fender bender." Willing to escalate to murder, over a bent bumper? Not hardly.

That we've spawned an entire generation or two of wannabe murderers who believe it's a justified act of "self-defense" to do so says way too much about our "civilization."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pretty stupid...a hot temper and lack of control may just put this 21 year old in jail for quite a while...not smart at all.

Stay armed...stay alert, but in control...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If the idiot who went to go get his gun for a bit of expressway-escalation actually fired on the guy, he could be up for attempted murder.

The guy's grandmother should reassess his moral grounding, if she believes he didn't cause the situation and wouldn't blame him for it. If as described, if it was unprovoked and an assault as claimed by the police, then her little wannabe thug is going down a very dark road.

That we've spawned an entire generation or two of wannabe murderers who believe it's a justified act of "self-defense" to do so says way too much about our "civilization."

IF you'll read that again it says the Good Guys Grandmother (Grandma Harwell) said that of her son, not the hot headed kid (Lowe) with the holes in his leg. He's lucky Mr. Harwell wasn't a better shot.

As for spawning killers, I blame violent video games and taking religon out of America. Gonna get worse before it gets better.
    Our Country was founded on Christian Principles and we have allowed those Principals to be removed from everything under the guise of "Separation of Church and State". I believe the Found Fathers are turning over in their graves over what we've allowed to be done to our Country.

Personally, Mr Lowe should have never even entertained the idea of getting his gun over a car accident. Cars can be replaced easily, lives cannot!

VIP Member
    It sounds like a good shoot (by Harwell) to me. it's too bad it got escalated to that by Lowe though. I hope Lowe is found to be in illegal possesion of the gun he had.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I can't help but think that Mr. Harwell is a Denny Crane fan:
    YouTube - Denny Crane gets robbed

great! just what we need......another idiot with a gun...... a simple car accident should be an exchange of insurance info not gunfire. STUPID!!!!
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    IF you'll read that again it says the Good Guys Grandmother (Grandma Harwell) said that of her son, not the hot headed kid (Lowe) with the holes in his leg.
    Oops. Yes, I did misread that. (Sorry, Granny.)

He's lucky Mr. Harwell wasn't a better shot.
    Yes, he is. Whether Mr. Hothead understands his own sad, wannabe-'banger nature nearly killed him is yet to be seen.

As for spawning killers, I blame violent video games and taking religon out of America. Gonna get worse before it gets better.
    I agree. When a child becomes latchkey and has only murderers, kidnappers, rapists and robbers to emulate, it shouldn't be a surprise what Li'l Johnnie grows up to understand is acceptable behavior. We've created fifty million little criminals-in-waiting, in which far too many of them have solid, ugly track records with the law. It most certainly is going to get worse before the evils are purged.

Orphanages, prisons and work camps, chain gangs, erasure of citizenship for the disavowed, an absolute impassable and secure perimeter to the "house" we call home ... all of it needs to be reconsidered and heavily relied upon as part of a turnaround, if we're to have a chance, IMO. God help us, in the interim.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This kind of stupid thug like stuff is the norm in Memphis

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Accidents are accidents (actually the new phrase is collision per the International Classification of Disease, or ICD, that the medical insurance companies use) but some come from great stupidity or towering incompetence. If I were King there would be more beatings of people who cause crashes. Being careless is no excuse for killing or maiming someone, just like careless gun handling is always unacceptable.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Sadly this is the very type of story that sarah brady and her propagandists love to publish.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Pretty stupid...a hot temper and lack of control may just put this 21 year old in jail for quite a while...not smart at all.

Stay armed...stay alert, but in control...stay safe!

yep, that about sums it up.

i applaud the permit hold for handling the situation properly.

Links