Bad : Bomb Explosion & Bomber Killed

This is a discussion on Bad : Bomb Explosion & Bomber Killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This just doesn't happen in our area, well, not until now. Not a whole lot of information on this just yet. I have been to ...

This just doesn't happen in our area, well, not until now. Not a whole lot of information on this just yet. I have been to the stores in that area in the past.

The bomber was killed. His intended target may have been an "ex" inside the bar. There were other explosive devices that had to be taken care of as well. He didn't use a handgun, which will surprise most folks, that seems to be the way disgruntled ex's deal with the situation.

Man killed after bomb explodes

Bill Rosenberger/ The Herald-Dispatch

BARBOURSVILLE, WV -- A man was killed early Saturday morning after a bomb exploded outside a bar in Barboursville.

The explosion was reported at about 2:30 a.m. outside Cactus Joe's in the 6000 block of U.S. 60, across from Kroger and Tower Food Fair.

Emergency crews and law enforcement officials called to the scene shut down U.S. 60 and detoured motorists onto East Pea Road until about 10 a.m.

Cabell County Sheriff Tom McComas also said that 20 to 30 residents in the immediate vicinity were evacuated, while surrounding businesses that were open or had employees inside were put into a shelter in place.

Few other details were released by officials, but McComas said the man who died was believed to have brought explosive devices to the area.

The West Virginia State Police Explosives Ordinance Disposal Unit was present throughout most of the ordeal and actually detonated three different suspicious items -- at about 4 a.m., 7:55 a.m. and 8:20 a.m. -- behind the neighboring Napa Auto Parts store.

"They were rendering safe any items deemed suspicious," McComas said.

McComas said the investigation is in its infancy. But some information also was being kept sealed for now because of its sensitive nature and its effect on the investigation, including the man's identity, the nature of his fatal injuries, whether his residence had been searched and any statements given by those inside the bar.

One patron, who asked that his name not be used, said he is a regular at Cactus Joe's but had never seen the man before the incident.

The patron said he arrived at about 10:45 p.m. and was with his brother until 1 a.m. At that point, he walked outside with his brother and saw the man in back of the bar and acting suspiciously. But since the Cabell County smoking ban was enacted earlier this year, he said it's not out of the ordinary for people to be smoking behind the bar.

At about 2:30 a.m., he said there was a loud bang, similar to a gunshot. He said he ran out back with others and found the man lying in a pool of blood.

"We saw another pipe bomb laying about five feet from him," the patron said. "We tried to keep everyone back."

The patron said there were rumors about what the man was doing there but he didn't want to speculate. He did, however, say that the man was identified to him as the ex-husband of another bar patron.

He added that he was not questioned by law enforcement, whom he described as more worried about getting the patrons to safety.

It's not known if anyone shopping or working at the 24-hour Kroger nearby was questioned or saw anything. The store's manager said she couldn't comment without permission from someone from the corporate office. Officials in the media relations department with Kroger did not immediately respond to phone calls or e-mails Saturday afternoon.

Holly Merritt, assistant manager of the Food Fair, said there were a couple of stock workers in the grocery store when the incident took place. A few other workers went through an alley to get to work before the larger stretch of U.S. 60 was shut down.

As far as she knows, no employees were questioned by authorities. They were only asked to stay inside.

Merritt, whose shift was supposed to start at 7 a.m., was stranded down the street in the parking lot of a business on the corner of U.S. 60 and Farmdale Road, where two other coworkers also waited out the ordeal Saturday morning.

The store opened at 10 a.m., about 10 minutes after traffic started flowing again.

In addition to the state police and sheriff's office, there also were members of the Barboursville Police and Volunteer Fire departments and members of the state fire marshal's office at the scene.

McComas said he didn't expect any new details to be released Saturday.
    Man killed after bomb explodes - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Wow. THats not your everyday news report. Just glad that no one else was hurt.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Bad? I would say it is good when only the bomber dies!!! Maybe he suffered from premature detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Bad? I would say it is good when only the bomber dies!!! Maybe he suffered from premature detonation.
    That's a good one Rocky!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Exactly.

The bad about this is that some derranged individual decided to plant bombs. Not bad that he got blown to smithereens in the process.

Lead Moderator
    Some of us think that when the bomber messes up, but doesn't hurt anyone else, this is a good thing!

Saves a lot of risk and work...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Bombers are cowards. It's a good thing when the timer goes off early and takes one of them out.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Dude got his gut blowed up, up the road from me in Surry County VA a month ago trying to weld the ends shut on his pipe bomb.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/poli...-bomb-exploded

Police: Surry County man building pipe bomb that exploded
    Posted to: News Western Tidewater

By Lauren King
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © April 21, 2010
    SURRY COUNTY

A 28-year-old man was seriously injured when a homemade device exploded in the 8000 block of Swanns Point Road about 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Emergency officials were called to the Mount Pleasant Farm subdivision and found Peter Bohlander with injuries that were considered life threatening, said Sgt. Michelle Cotten, a Virginia State Police spokeswoman. He was flown to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

Most of his injuries were confined to his mid-torso area, Cotten said Wednesday. He had been wearing a welding mask at the time of the explosion which protected his face.

Police said it appears the maintenance worker was building a pipe bomb at the time of the explosion. His girlfriend found him and called for help, Cotten said.

No additional details were available, Cotten said, because this is an ongoing criminal investigation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Update : Bomber Named

Here is an update, they have named the would be-now dead bomber. The link has a photo of said bomber.

Deputies release name in explosion

CURTIS JOHNSON

The Herald-Dispatch

BARBOURSVILLE — The Cabell County Sheriff’s Office has identified the man who died when a bomb exploded early Saturday outside of a bar in Barboursville.

A press release issued Monday afternoon identified the deceased as Mark Jeffrey, 46, of the Barboursville area.

His body was sent to the state Medical Examiner’s Office in Kanawha County.
    Deputies release name in explosion - The Herald Dispatch

OK now which wire do I connect let's see connect the red wire to timer,but first BOOOM
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Dude got his gut blowed up, up the road from me in Surry County VA a month ago trying to weld the ends shut on his pipe bomb.
    I love it when they are that smart!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links