Firefighter wrestles gun from accident victim

This is a discussion on Firefighter wrestles gun from accident victim within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Firefighter wrestles gun from accident victim - Breaking News Firefighter wrestles gun from accident victim By LYDA LONGA, Staff Writer May 23, 2010 9:00 PM ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Firefighter wrestles gun from accident victim - Breaking News

By LYDA LONGA, Staff Writer
    May 23, 2010 9:00 PM 1 Comments Vote 0 Votes Posted in: News

A few minutes after he turned 44, Port Orange Fire Lt. Joe Carrasquillo thought he was going to die.
    Carrasquillo and his crew of firefighter/paramedics responded to a two-car crash at Dunlawton and Ridgewood avenues early Saturday. The call turned out to be a most memorable one for Carrasquillo, an experience he's never had in more than two decades working at the Port Orange Fire Department.
    An accident victim threatened him with a handgun, authorities said.
    "After 23 years of doing the same thing, I never expected anything like this," the lieutenant said Sunday. "At that moment my kids went through my mind and my wife went through my mind."
    Donald Brooks, 62, was slumped over the steering wheel of a Jeep involved in the crash. Carrasquillo went to help Brooks, but instead was met with an angry, armed man who swiftly raised a handgun and tried to point it at the veteran firefighter.
    But before that could happen, Carrasquillo dove into the driver's side of Brooks' Jeep and grabbed the muzzle of the .40-caliber Glock.
    "He looked at me -- he started to bring the gun up," Carrasquillo said. "I lunged forward. Everything happened so fast. I needed to keep a grip on the muzzle and keep it from being pointed at me.
    "Next thing I knew, one of the (police) officers was climbing over me. He Tasered him (Brooks), but he kept fighting. I was finally able to wrestle the gun out of his hands while the officer kept Tasering him."
    According to a police report, Brooks had crashed into the rear of a white sedan at the intersection. After Carrasquillo determined that the person in the first car was all right, he approached the driver's side of Brook's Jeep. A woman who had witnessed the crash was standing by Brooks.
    Suddenly, the woman began yelling, "Gun! Gun! Gun!" Carrasquillo said.
    "You're going to have to kill me ... I'm not going to jail," Brooks reportedly stated.
    A policeman headed toward Brooks' car as Carrasquillo wrestled with Brooks over the gun, the report states.
    "I observed the tense, rapidly changing situation and I utilized my M26 Taser to stop the threat," Police Officer Theodore Kurtz wrote in his report.
    But Brooks wasn't surrendering, even after Kurtz blasted him twice with the Taser. The combative suspect continued struggling with Carrasquillo, saying he was not giving up his gun, the report shows. When Kurtz shot a Taser probe into Brook's' chest though, Carrasquillo was able to grab the gun.
    Fire Chief Thomas Weber said Carrasquillo saved the lives of his fire crew -- and Brooks.
    "His actions probably prevented the suspect from getting shot and killed by police," Weber said Sunday.
    Weber said firefighters are trained to anticipate hostile situations, but are told to back out if police are not present.
    Brooks was charged with aggravated assault on a firefighter, improper display of a firearm, using a firearm while under the influence of alcohol, and DUI. He was being held Sunday night at the Volusia County Branch Jail with bail set at $8,250.
    As for Carrasquillo, he believes someone was watching out for him on this particular birthday.
    "I came up with strength I never knew I had," he said. "It came out good for everyone -- nobody died."
    Copyright © 2010 The Daytona Beach News-Journal
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Man! That's insane! Brooks had to be under the influence.

I'm glad it ended as well as it did.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Man! That's insane! Brooks had to be under the influence.

I'm glad it ended as well as it did.
    All the drunk did and he only has to post an $8K bail? Yep, that's insane...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wonder how many times he has been arrested for DUI if he's worried about jail time? Happy everything turned out ok!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

AzB
    Attempted suicide by cop?
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Brooks had to be under the influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Brooks was charged with aggravated assault on a firefighter, improper display of a firearm, using a firearm while under the influence of alcohol, and DUI.

Of all the people to scuffle with... the firefighter is the guy that gets your butt out of danger. As if their job wasn't dangerous enough...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

8250 bail? So he can get a bondsman to spring him for what, 150 bucks?? Crazy world...

My dad always told me to be careful of helping people who were just in an accident. Which always made sense. You never really think about what the person who just wrecked, or what might have caused it. For all you know that person was running from the cops, or under the influence, or dazed from the wreck.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks for the post. My son is an EMT I think I will forward this to him. Hope he never encounters this kind of response.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the post. My son is an EMT I think I will forward this to him. Hope he never encounters this kind of response.
    I was a part-time EMT from 1995-2005 working in an urban and rural EMT/Paramedic system. Responded to a serious T-bone collision, one of the injured was having siezures and being attended-to by an off-duty fire-fighter/medic on his was to work that morning.

We called for a second unit and an air-ambulance, I'm placing another victim on a back-board, when we all hear "Put the gun down! Put the f-ing gun down or you will be shot!".

Turns-out some lady who was in a secondary collision at the intersection (restrained driver) had a shotgun in her lap and was raising the barrel at the officer drawing down on her. We're all ducking, I hid behind the ambulance engine compartment. After it was all said and done, she was about 2 milliseconds from getting capped by the Gilroy, CA police. Ironically, if I recall, she had psych issues.

Your son I'm sure has been trained on scene safety. However, you just never know...

-Al

VIP Member
    This is my neck of the woods (or was, way back when I had a neck of the woods to claim...) I really can't believe that the bail was set so low for this type of incident - they're usually a bit tougher on folks who point guns at the 'thorities...

Glad the EMT was quick thinking and quick acting; he no doubt saved a life or two there.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Why in the hell did the LEO use a Taser? Talk about a death wish. I hope there was some unusual circumstance that did not allow the LEO to meet deadly force with deadly force.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto

That was my first thought as well. I can only think if the firefighter was in the window he was worried of a friendly fire situation. ???

I wonder what would have happened to the firefighter if he had met that attack with a Halligan bar to the head?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why in the hell did the LEO use a Taser? Talk about a death wish. I hope there was some unusual circumstance that did not allow the LEO to meet deadly force with deadly force.
    The only thing I could think of Sixto is the proximity of the Firefighter to the other dude.

I'm still confused with the bail on this and why no attempted murder charges and such.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    That was my first thought as well. I can only think if the firefighter was in the window he was worried of a friendly fire situation. ???

I wonder what would have happened to the firefighter if he had met that attack with a Halligan bar to the head?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    The only thing I could think of Sixto is the proximity of the Firefighter to the other dude.

I'm still confused with the bail on this and why no attempted murder charges and such.
    Even so, what happens to the bodies muscles when they are hit with a device like the Taser? They contract! They tense up and spasm.

I hate Monday morning quarterbacks so I'm not saying the officer was wrong, but it does make me wonder.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links