Guns claim kids' lives in both urban, rural areas

This is a discussion on Guns claim kids' lives in both urban, rural areas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CHICAGO (AP) — Children in the most rural areas of the United States are as likely to die by gunshot as kids in the biggest ...

Thread: Guns claim kids' lives in both urban, rural areas

VIP Member

CHICAGO (AP) — Children in the most rural areas of the United States are as likely to die by gunshot as kids in the biggest cities, a new analysis of nearly 24,000 deaths finds.

Not surprisingly, murders involving firearms are more common among city youth. But gun suicides and accidental fatal shootings level the score: They are more common among rural kids.

"This debunks the myth that firearm death is a big-city problem," said lead author Dr. Michael Nance of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "This is everybody's problem."

The researchers analyzed data on nearly 24,000 gun-related deaths among children 19 and younger from 1999 through 2006. That included about 15,000 homicides, about 7,000 suicides and about 1,400 accidental shootings for the eight-year period.

The researchers sorted them by county then compared the gun death rates for the most urban counties— those with populations of 1 million or more, like Dallas County in Texas — and the most rural counties — the ones far from cities or with fewer than 2,500 people, like Powder River County in Montana. They found essentially the same rate, about 4 deaths per 100,000 children.
    EarthLink - Health News

Yet another “study” blaming guns for the actions of others.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sad figures!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    My question is, "Who paid for the study?". This guy publishes a lot. Fifty-three studies, editorials, etc in the last three years.

See Michael L. Nance - Publications

BTW -- This is not his first anti-gun blast:

(last 3 years)
    Nance ML, Wiebe DJ, Branas CC, Schwab CW. The effect of urbanization on firearm mortality rates in the United States pediatric and adolescent population. World Injury Conference, Vienna Austria, Jun. 2004.

SNIP

Wiebe DJ, Branas CC, Nance ML, Schwab CW. Intentional gun deaths and geographic access to gun dealers in the United States. World Health Organization Violence Conference, Vienna Austria, Jun. 2004.

SNIP

Wiebe DJ, Elliott MR, Krafty RT, Koper CS, Nance ML, Branas CC. Homicide and geographic access to gun dealers in the United States. American Public Health Association Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Nov 2005.

SNIP
    BTW it's a constant drum beat -- just do a search.

Another typical one from '07 has the conclusion:

If guns will not be removed from homes where children live and play, then the safe storage of those guns becomes a health priority for the well-being of children. Primary care providers need to understand better not only whether firearms are in the home but also which types are present. This should inform a tailored safe storage counseling approach for gun-owning families who are at increased risk for not using safe storage practices.
    See: Firearm Ownership and Storage Patterns Among Families With Children Who Receive Well-Child Care in Pediatric Offices -- DuRant et al. 119 (6): e1271 -- Pediatrics

It is all part of a pattern.

Notice the "if... then" structure. That is "If [the best option can't be achieved] then [the lesser option should be perused].

there is no question that much of the organized medical world is anti-gun.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    wow....

Top 20 Causes of Death - Kids (5 - 9)

Rank Cause of Death Total Deaths No of Deaths Percent
    All Deaths 3018 3018 100.00%
    1 Unintentional Injury 1176 38.97%

* Motor Vehicle Traffic 621 20.58%
    * Firearm 14 0.46%

Top 20 Causes of Death - Young Teen (10 - 14)

All Deaths 4132 4132 100.00%
    1 Unintentional Injury 1542 37.32%

* Motor Vehicle Traffic 874 21.15%
    * Firearm 34 0.82%

Top 20 Causes of Death - Older Teen (15 - 19)

All Deaths 13812 13812 100.00%
    1 Unintentional Injury 7137 51.67%

* Motor Vehicle Traffic 5522 39.98%
    * Firearm 107 0.77%

I guess we need to ban motor vehicles.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

perspective

It's all about perspective. Most pediatricians are against guns because their focus is on the health and safety of children. There is no question that firearms in the home, improperly secured, present a danger to children. I personally would not be offended at all if our pediatrician asks if we have guns in the house, and if so, are they properly secured.

All that said, yes, it is obvious that guy writes from an anti-gun perspective.

Sounds like anti-gunners trying to sound relevant.

We need to keep the pressure up and fight these deniers of our freedoms....we can't be complacent.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I read it and I always suspect AP sources, of course, this being another one of those attention-getting/grabbing whining healines that ignores the apples to oranges differences between polled people, and population density between country and cities, including cultural differences and community standards concerning what is considered to be normal [decent] acceptable behavior...between immigrants and citizens and government drop-out dependents. This has caused much discussion and millions of dollars worth of studies, I fear, during the past 45 years or so, like ya know. As most of us know, in general, rural children are better behaved...at least compared to downtown Dayton, not dat I beah hatin'.

4 per 100,000 and less than 6% of those were accidents or 2.5 per million children. That's not a problem, that falls under "every once in a great while, stuff happens". The only ones who can argue differently are those that use the battlecry of the ignorant - "If it saves one, it's worth it".

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    4 per 100,000 and less than 6% of those were accidents or 2.5 per million children. That's not a problem, that falls under "every once in a great while, stuff happens". The only ones who can argue differently are those that use the battlecry of the ignorant - "If it saves one, it's worth it".
    sadly, their ignorance only shows them one side of it... it saves ONE.. but looking at the other side, it endangers many more. that kid, his father, and mother are in potential danger if ever a predator invades their home. ME, i'll take the chance and teach my child about guns. and until he/she is comfortable, lock them up.

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    It's all about perspective. Most pediatricians are against guns because their focus is on the health and safety of children. There is no question that firearms in the home, improperly secured, present a danger to children. I personally would not be offended at all if our pediatrician asks if we have guns in the house, and if so, are they properly secured.

All that said, yes, it is obvious that guy writes from an anti-gun perspective.
    A pediatrician has no business asking about firearms. They are tasked with disease and illness, neither of which apply to firearms. If and when an accident occurs, then it involves them.

The school principal and grocery cashier have the same right to inquire about guns in the home. None.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    A pediatrician has no business asking about firearms. They are tasked with disease and illness, neither of which apply to firearms. If and when an accident occurs, then it involves them.

The school principal and grocery cashier have the same right to inquire about guns in the home. None.
    +1 completely agree.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    wow....

Top 20 Causes of Death - Kids (5 - 9)

All Deaths 3018 3018 100.00%
    1 Unintentional Injury 1176 38.97%

* Motor Vehicle Traffic 621 20.58%
    * Firearm 14 0.46%

Top 20 Causes of Death - Young Teen (10 - 14)

All Deaths 4132 4132 100.00%
    1 Unintentional Injury 1542 37.32%

* Motor Vehicle Traffic 874 21.15%
    * Firearm 34 0.82%

Top 20 Causes of Death - Older Teen (15 - 19)

All Deaths 13812 13812 100.00%
    1 Unintentional Injury 7137 51.67%

* Motor Vehicle Traffic 5522 39.98%
    * Firearm 107 0.77%

I guess we need to ban motor vehicles.
    To me it looks like we need a new Federal law banning unintentional injury
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links