Make My Day law - Denver burglary leads to fatal shooting

This is a discussion on Make My Day law - Denver burglary leads to fatal shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suspected early morning Denver burglary leads to fatal shooting - The Denver Post A suspected burglar has died after being shot by a Denver homeowner ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suspected early morning Denver burglary leads to fatal shooting - The Denver Post

A suspected burglar has died after being shot by a Denver homeowner early this morning.

The incident happened at about 2:20 a.m. in the 3100 block of Gaylord Street, said Sonny Jackson a Denver Police Department spokesman.

Jackson said police were summoned to the 3000 block of Gaylord by a burglary alarm. While patrol officers were investigating the alarm, they heard shots being fired on the next block.

The shooting occurred at 3150 Gaylord St. and the man who was hit by the gunfire died at the scene, Jackson said.

Police responding to the shooting found a 17-year-old man nearby and took him into custody as a burglary suspect.

The homeowner was taken into police custody and is being questioned about the break-in and shooting.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Hazard of the BG's job! If things go well, it will get more and more hazardous for them! Hope the homeowner is ok on this shoot, he should be.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Remember dead offenders are not repeat offenders.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

I don't get over the "make my day law."

Lawmakers are looking at expanding Colorado's "Make My Day" law -- which says people who use deadly force to protect themselves in their homes can't be prosecuted.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

In Texas it's called the "Castle Doctrine" and an incident here would get the Homeowner a pat on the back and parade by the Cops.

My Local Sheriff once told me to make sure that if this happened at my Ranch, to let him know to tell him how many body bags to bring with him when I called it in .

Let's hope the Denver Legal System has the right attitude.
    Look at all the money he saved them having to try one of them.

Good deal! B&E should be more deadly than Ice Road Trucking and working on Alaskan Crab boats in Deadliest Catch.

In my home state we fondly refer to it as the "he probably needed killin' law."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Good deal! B&E should be more deadly than Ice Road Trucking and working on Alaskan Crab boats in Deadliest Catch.

I Love West Virginia!
    Next thing you know there will be a Reality TV series called B&E.
    Life or Death for the Contestants. Lesondiawea can be a TV Star!
    I'd watch it!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Love it ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

And just a tiny bit more on the incident;

Police: Homeowner Shot, Killed Robbery Suspect - cbs4denver.com

DENVER (CBS4) ―

Denver police are investigating a robbery and deadly shooting early Monday morning near 31st and Gaylord.

Police were responding to a burglary call at about 2:30 a.m. in the northeast Denver neighborhood when they heard gunshots. They rushed to the scene and found a man dead.

Officers say the man was trying to break into the home when the homeowner shot him. The homeowner was taken into custody for questioning but has since been released. His name hasn't been released but he's said to be in his 30s. His house has been for sale for a couple of months. Neighbors say he lives alone.

"I think he was protecting his property because I've known him for seven years and he's a nice guy," neighbor Larry James said.

Police arrested a 17-year-old in the area and are looking for other possible suspects.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

This just in...

The Denver Home-Burglary Open

Home Owners 1

Burglars 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"The homeowner was taken into police custody and is being questioned about the break-in and shooting."

The one part of the article I didn't like...
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

DENVER - Police are still searching for one of three people involved in an attempted burglary that ended with a 17-year-old being shot and killed.
    Advertisement

They have another suspect in custody. The homeowner has not been charged.

It happened around 2:30 a.m. Monday at a northeast Denver home near Gaylord Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Police say two 17-year-olds and another young man tried to break into the home.

The homeowner confronted one of the suspects and shot him multiple times in the head.

It's too early to tell if the homeowner will be protected by Colorado's Make My Day Law.

"You've got a situation where they breached the home, and then the homeowner took action against the suspects for breaching his home, that's how we understand it at this point in time," DPD Spokesperson Sonny Jackson said.

9NEWS is not releasing the name of the 35 year-old homeowner because he hasn't been charged.

Neighbor Larry James has known the man for 7 years.

"I guess the people were in his house, and he shot and killed them. It upset me and scared me, because it's close, pretty close and everything," James said.

The coroner's office identified the fatally wounded suspect as 17 year-old Marcus Duran.

Shortly after the shooting police took another 17 year-old into custody nearby.

"Right now he's being held under investigation of first degree burglary," Jackson said.

Police are still looking for another man around the same age.

Neighbors hope the shooting will make would-be burglars think twice.

"I think it does send a message to them, that you can't just enter a person's house that he worked for and everything, and I'm not going to protect my family. I hope it sends a message to them," James said.

With warmer temperatures here, police say the incident can serve as a reminder.

"Don't leave you windows unlocked, don't leave your doors open, be aware that there are individuals who will try and take things from your home," Jackson said.

Police wouldn't say where the suspect's body was found, but if it was found inside the home, 9NEWS legal analyst Scott Robinson thinks the homeowner will likely not be charged in this case, and will be protected by the make my day law.

Around 9:45pm on Monday night, family friends of Duran gathered in front of the home where he was shot and killed to hold a small candle light vigil.

Frank and Debbie Davis' son is close friends with Duran.

"I think that was pretty brutal. I mean, I can understand protecting your home, maybe shooting him in the leg, something like that, but to do multiple shots that's a little ridiculous," Frank Davis said.

"He was not a bad kid. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong kids, that's what it was," Debbie Davis said.
    My favorite part:

"I think that was pretty brutal. I mean, I can understand protecting your home, maybe shooting him in the leg, something like that, but to do multiple shots that's a little ridiculous," Frank Davis said.

Someones been watching too many movies.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

+ 1 to the homeowner. Clean Shoot AND State Law will back that.
    SHoot him in the leg? REALLY? He MIGHT have gone down and pulled a gun and shot the homeowner. In my house without my invitation means you are here to do harm.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    In my house without my invitation means you are here to do harm.
    I concur. That is my interpretation also.

"He was not a bad kid. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong kids, that's what it was," Debbie Davis said.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links