Shots fired across the street from me Mesa AZ update!

This is a discussion on Shots fired across the street from me Mesa AZ update! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I live in a townhouse community and at about 10pm tonight my gf and I heard 3 gunshots. I peaked out our front window to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shots fired across the street from me Mesa AZ update!

Shots fired across the street from me Mesa AZ update!

I live in a townhouse community and at about 10pm tonight my gf and I heard 3 gunshots. I peaked out our front window to see a man standing across the street in the driveway manipulating the slide on a handgun. Next thing i know my entire street is swamped with cops. They are talking on the loud speaker as he is hiding in the bushes next to my house! About 30 minutes after the first shots were fired there was one single shot. Then I saw 5 officers in formation behind a shield clearing the side of my house. two cops jumped my wall and covered the advancing officers with shotguns. The five officers moved in and from what I could see it looks as if the man commited suicide just on the other side of my wall. Next thing I know the yellow tape goes up and they are taking statements. It's too late for news reports so i will try to update in the morning. it is still unclear where the first 3 shots went although the townhome across the street has yellow crime scene tape around it as well. Now i am trying to get some sleep tonight, very hard to with police presence everywhere!
    Last edited by SpencerB; May 26th, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: update location

2. Remove Ads

Glad you're OK...I think that I would have immediately gone to the back of the house to put some walls and furniture between me and the shooter.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Shots fired! : Coming to a neighborhood like yours.

Just goes to show that any and all neighborhoods are susceptible to this kind of thing. Glad the outcome was good for you not being involved or injured.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

That is something you don't see everyday.... Glad you made it out okay

Did you get it on film? That's gold to news stations!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

hopefully no one was hit by strays
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

hope you're only renting..time to relocate
    guns rule

Sounds like a possible domestic,estranged husband wants wife to come out or hes trying to get in and fires some rounds at house in frustration,when cops show up he caps himself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Too close for comfort. That's pretty scary. Glad your OK. Keep us updated...I too am curious where the first 3 shots went.

Sad story. Happy you and yours are ok. Prayers for the victim, and hope the don't find anymore.

Sounds like a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    hope you're only renting..time to relocate
    Relocate to where? This can and does happen anywhere, anytime in virtually any neighborhood. Ummm... That's kind of why we are ccw permit holders. Because there are no safe places and crime can happen anywhere.

SpencerB, Glad you weren't injured during your live "on the spot" police stand-off.

BTW... Did you know the guy in question? Was he one of your neighbors? Looking forward to the update!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Mike Sakal, Tribune | 2 comments

A 44-year-old man who police say was firing a gun at a Mesa gated townhome complex, shot and killed himself late Tuesday after police responded to the scene.

Police responded to a report of a man firing a handgun at Val Vista Park Townhomes, 1015 South Val Vista, about 10:45 p.m. Officers ordered the man to put down his gun, but instead, he put the gun to his head and fired one shot, according to police.

The man was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

No officers were injured during the incident and did not fire any shots at the man, police said.

At this time, a motive for the incident has not been determined and police did not release the man's name.

I got this article off of eastvalleytribune.com under the mesa section. Talking with some of my neighbors this man was visiting with people right next door to me and the first 3 shots i heard went across the street, 2 striking my neighbors house and the 3rd striking their front door. Then that man commited suicide right on the side of my townhouse on the side walk next to my driveway. No one else was hurt thank god, my girlfriend was a little freaked out but she has since calmed down. This is exactly why i choose to carry and protect myself and loved ones, what if this man decided he wanted to try to come into my house, you just never know. Glad everyone else in my neighborhood is ok, I will keep you guys posted if I see anymore info on it. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers and stay safe!

AzB
    Wow, glad you're ok! You're right, that could've gone very wrong for you very quickly...
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Any relevance to the Phoenix officer that was shot last night?
    Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!

VIP Member
    Glad everyone is alright.Hopefully this is an Isolated incident, which will be bore out with more information

Have you ever noticed how nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

SpencerB... You are right... You never know what's going to happen.

When the police showed up, he very well could have wanted to barricade himself inside the closest structure. In this case, your home!

Again, glad no one else was injured, including you and your g/f.

Living right there, you may likely get more details from other neighbors than what will be reported in the media. So, if you find out anything more details, please keep us updated.

For example, maybe he was unemployed and despondent over the economy. Those of us keeping close tabs on how people are responding to economy and other inquiring minds want to know.

Stay Safe; Stay Armed! 24/7
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links