Good Gun-control in Chicago...

This is a discussion on Good Gun-control in Chicago... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; he hit what he was shooting at. Hope he isn't charged. Man, 80, kills home invader in East Garfield Park :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

he hit what he was shooting at.

Hope he isn't charged.

Man, 80, kills home invader in East Garfield Park :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State

Man, 80, kills home invader in East Garfield Park
    'It's a good thing they had a gun,' says neighbor, 'or they might be dead'

May 26, 2010

By KIM JANSSEN Staff Reporter
    An 80-year-old man shot and killed an armed man who’d broken in to the two-flat where he and his wife live in East Garfield Park early this morning, police said.

Neither the man nor his wife was hurt.

“It’s a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead,” said Curtis Thompson, who lives next to the couple.

Thompson reflected on the break-in and added, “It could have been us.”

"I'd have done the same thing," said another neighbor, Audrey Williams, who has known the couple for more than 40 years. "They say we've got to give up our guns, but that's crazy."

The break-in happened at 5:22 a.m., according to police, when an armed man entered the home in the 600 block of North Sawyer Avenue on Chicago’s West Side, awakening the homeowner, who shot him.

The dead man was in his 30s, according to police.

Neighbors said the elderly couple are longtime residents of the block.

“They’re a nice, loving couple,” another neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, said of the elderly man and woman.

Relatives said the homeowner is an army veteran and that his wife was a nurse.

The couple are being questioned by police.

The body of the dead man lay for hours near the back door of the home but was taken away around 9:30 this morning.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I hope this man does not get into trouble for successfully defending his life and taking a thug off the streets...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I say job well done!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Armed man breaking in on an 80 year old couple! No good would have come of this one. No charges, good shoot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

So the body laid there for 4 hours?...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

1 wonder who Daley thinks the victim is...the poor robber trying to better himself in hard times, by robbing and stealing and an evil gun ends his life.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No charges were filed, but did they confiscate the gun? I bet they did...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    1 wonder who Daley thinks the victim is...the poor robber trying to better himself in hard times, by robbing and stealing and an evil gun ends his life.
    Not only that.

It will end up as another GUN DEATH [and a CHP SHOOTING, if the homeowner had a CHP] in the brady bunch's and in all the other anti's statistics.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    So the body laid there for 4 hours?...

Well, you know how hard it is now days to get somebody to do a good job on the chalk outline.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Should have used him for coyote bait.

Well, you know how hard it is now days to get somebody to do a good job on the chalk outline.....
    They had to wake the ME up.....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Here is the FOX account. It does talk about handguns not being legal in Chicago.

http://http://www.foxnews.com/us/201...-home-invader/

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

FOXNews.com

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed assailant who broke into his two-story house in a predawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

print email share recommend (17)
    An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Neighbors described the elderly couple, who both walk with canes, as pillars of the community in Garfield Park, where home invasions have been all too frequent.

Their neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, told MyFoxChicago that the two are "heroes" for fighting off the attacker — and that the shooting means there is "one less criminal" walking the streets.
    "They don't bother no one, so why would anyone do that to them?" she said.

Relatives of the couple told the Sun Times that the man is an Army veteran, his wife a former nurse. Police said neither the man nor the woman was injured in the attack.

The assailant, who was described by police as being in his 30s, was found slumped on the back doorstep of the couple's house, removed four hours after the shooting, the Sun Times reported.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

"Self-defense isn't just a right, it's a duty," said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it's not just a travesty, it's justice turned inside out."

Click here for more on this story from MyFoxChicago.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

For you IL residents ... you should take down the name of Attorney Joel Brodsky. It sounds like this guy gets it.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

I wonder if it would be better for all of us in the long run if he gets charged. Maybe it will show anti-gun folks how ridiculous the gun laws are in Chicago (and maybe the other states).Seeing an elderly person ending up in jail just because he tried to defend himself, his wife, and his home might change some people's minds.

I hope I can make a good shot at 80 if I had to. Glad he and his wife are ok. The BG got his.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links