Police officer killed in west Phoenix

This is a discussion on Police officer killed in west Phoenix within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police officer killed in west Phoenix by Jim Cross/KTAR (May 26th, 2010 @ 11:20am) PHOENIX -- A Phoenix police officer who became a father for ...

Thread: Police officer killed in west Phoenix

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

by Jim Cross/KTAR (May 26th, 2010 @ 11:20am)

PHOENIX -- A Phoenix police officer who became a father for the second time two weeks ago was gunned down while looking for a suspicious car Wednesday morning.

The officer's name was not released.

But, Mark Spencer, head of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, spoke of his family.

"His wife is devastated," Spencer said. "He has two very young children, a newborn is involved in that. So that just aggravates the fact that it's a bad day."

Sgt. Trent Crump said the shooting happened about 1 a.m. in the area of 19th Avenue and Indian School Road.

The wounded officer was rushed in a police cruiser to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police said he worked out of the Squaw Peak Precinct in central Phoenix.

Mayor Phil Gordon said the dead officer "made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty, working to keep Phoenix safe."

Gordon added, "Every life taken by violence is a senseless loss. Today, this loss of life is felt all across our city. The officer's loved ones, friends and colleagues have my deepest sympathies."

The suspect was found hiding in a shed and was shot with a rubber bullet, Crump said. He was not seriously injured.

"We believe there's just one suspect at this point, we don't know if more," Crump said. "We do believe there may be an earlier `shots fired' call that's involved in this, as well. We're looking into that information."

Crump said officers initially tried to stop a car near 35th Avenue and Indian School that was believed to be connected with a "shots fired" call. The car took off and was found backed into a carport near 19th Avenue and Indian School, which was where the officer was shot.

"We do not know how many shots were fired or whether the officer returned fire," said Crump.

Richard Rodriguez lives just feet away from where the officer was shot and said he saw the suspect trying to hide a car in the carport.

"He saw the lights of the cops coming, so he just left it and went around the corner," said Rodriguez.

He said he heard gunshots, then police banged on his door and said he had to evacuate his home.

"I've got two small ones right here, with gunfire right at the door," said Rodriguez. He said the experience was "scary."

Rodriguez said he did not see the actual shooting.

Crump said the investigation would take some time.

"We have to determine if this stuff is all related, if this car came from that same thing or if these officers just saw a speeding or suspicious vehicle with its lights out. Remember, we have some officers who are shaken up out here this morning, that were part of this. We have not interviewed them yet, so we don't have those details."

Police Chief Jack Harris was notified while in Washington, D.C., to meet with Attorney General Eric Holder to discuss Arizona's immigration law. Crump said Harris was returning to Phoenix immediately.

Several people were evacuated from homes in the area of the shooting. The southbound lanes of 19th Avenue were closed just south of Indian School and police advised motorists to avoid the area because of the investigation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Prayers go out to officer Murphy's family and friends.

The suspect was found hiding in a shed and was shot with a rubber bullet, Crump said. He was not seriously injured.
    Too bad.....

my heart goes out to this officer's family
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Too bad it wasn't a rubber coated lead bullet,coulda saved the taxpayers a buncha money to feed and clothe his worthless ass for the rest of his life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sad! Prayers for the fallen officer and his family!

Why did they use a rubber bullet?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    They should have used the rubber bullets to fill the holes after the HP ones.

IF the BG uses real ammo, I think they should too.

Well, that just sucks. Sympathies for the family, that will be very rough for them. We had an incident with an officer killed this last year and it had a quite an impact on the community... he was ambushed.

in custody

Don't know if he was paroled or just completed his stretch, but he should not have been out on the streets.

Man accused of killing officer has extensive criminal past | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona News

PHOENIX - Accused cop killer Danny Martinez made his first appearance in court at the end of a long day for the Phoenix Police Department.

Martinez, 30, is accused of murdering 29-year old Phoenix police officer Travis Murphy. Officer Murphy, a five-year veteran of the force, was responding to a seemingly non-violent suspicious-person call when he was shot multiple times near 19th Avenue and Indian School Road early this morning.

Martinez spent three years in prison and was released in September of last year. He walked back into jail Wednesday wearing a hospital gown and bandages covering a wound from a police K-9. Martinez ignored questions from reporters as he was walked out of police headquarters to a patrol car that took him to the Fourth Avenue Jail.

City of Phoenix Public Safety Chief Jack Harris says the suspect was born in Tucson and has a criminal past including theft, driving while under the influence and drug and weapons charges.

Harris returned to Phoenix earlier today, cutting short a trip to Washington, D.C., so he could be with Officer Murphy's family. Commenting on officer Murphy's death, Harris said, "I really don't have any words to express the feelings of myself or of our department.

No funeral arrangements have been announced yet. Officer Murphy was the first Phoenix officer killed since December 2008.

Here's the perp walk:
    RAW: Perp walk with man accused of killing police officer | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Featured Videos

Note the bandaged left shoulder... at least the K-9 got in some licks.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

for the K-9
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

3D
    Unlike Phoenix Public Safety Chief Jack Harris, I have a flood of words that express a torrent of feelings about officer Travis Murphy's death . . . I will not burden you with the litany.

My deepest condolences to his family and to his fellow officers. Would appreciate any additional info. being posted.
    __3D

I hope AZ has a death penalty and they use it,I think we don't use it enough and the threat of life in prison isn't a real deterrent for these violent repeat offenders
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    They should have used the rubber bullets to fill the holes after the HP ones.
    I agree. He should have died from lead poisoning.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Update, with details

Officer Killed With Military-Style Ammo - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

PHOENIX -- A .223-caliber bullet was used to kill Phoenix police Officer Travis Murphy, according to the Phoenix police department.
    "It's virtually the same ammunition that they use in the U.S. military," said Erik Brown, a forensic firearms expert and founder of Forensics Guy :: Firearms Examiner, Ballistics, Forensic Alcohol, DUI, Independent Consultant and Expert Witness. Brown said a .223 round can be lethal no matter where someone is shot.

"This projectile, once it hits the body, will break apart into many different pieces and cause a lot of damage," said Brown.

The .223 is primarily used with assault rifles, such as the AR-15.
    Arizona Tactical Firearms owner Ron Uthe said he requires a clean FBI background check before selling any weapons, but said they often wind up in the hands of convicted felons. "The statistics show that they steal them," said Uthe.

Officers in the Phoenix police Special Assignments Unit carry AR-15 firearms, but the majority of officers only carry a handgun.
    "The rank and file officers on the street can't match the firepower that some of these bad guys have," said Uthe.

The shooting happened at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in the area of 19th Avenue and Indian School Road. Officer Travis Murphy was working the overnight shift when he and his partner responded to a call in the area, police said. A call to police reported that someone had hit a parked car and was trying to hide a Ford Mustang with front-end damage in the carport of a vacant home.

One neighbor, who didn't want to be identified, said he heard a car crashing into another car and saw the driver park the car in a garage. "He tried to fix the the bumper and do it all in a hurry and try to put a blanket over the car," the witness said. "As soon as the cops got out of the car, he just let them have it, I guess about six or seven shots," the neighbor said. "I just saw the cop on the floor and then I saw the suspect jump into my neighbor's fence."

When the officers arrived at the scene, they got out of their patrol vehicle and split up in search of a suspect. Moments later, shots were fired and Murphy's partner found him mortally wounded.
    Officers said they drove the wounded officer to the hospital while a K-9 officer followed a trail from the suspect to a nearby shed. A naked man hiding in a backyard shed was arrested, police said.

Danny Ledezma Martinez, 30, was booked into jail on charges of first-degree murder and weapons violations, Phoenix police chief Jack Harris said at an afternoon press briefing.

Martinez served more than three years in an Arizona prison on felony weapons misconduct charges in the Tucson area before being released in April 2009. He also was cited in the Tucson area numerous times, and pleaded guilty to drunken driving charges in October 2009 and theft in November 2003.

The ACLU's next nominee for Citizen of the Year, no doubt.

And yes, folks, AZ does indeed have the death penalty. Death Row is a bit longer than I'd like, but at least the customers are being served.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

May this officer R.I.P. with prayers for his family...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I sure feel for his family.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Links