Has Daley finally gone over the edge?

This is a discussion on Has Daley finally gone over the edge? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mayor Daley Threatens to Shoot the Messenger—Namely, Me | The Blog | Chicago Reader Edit- Sorry, I missed this story the first time it was ...

Mayor Daley Threatens to Shoot the Messenger—Namely, Me | The Blog | Chicago Reader

Edit- Sorry, I missed this story the first time it was brought up here. Mods, feel free to delete this post.

This is the blog of the journalist "King" Daley pointed a rifle at during a press conference. Read it and ask yourself if this man's mind hasn't completely cracked.

During the press conference he pointed a rifle with a bayonet at this reporter, and also wished violence would fall on a supreme court justice during McDonald vs. Chicago. That part is not included in this link, but I'll hunt down a credible link to post that part in a reply.

Mayor Daley loves to bag on the local media, and given my recent line of inquiry into his politics and policies, I’ve never expected to be greeted with a fruit basket at City Hall.
    But even I was a bit taken aback this morning when the mayor grabbed a rifle and threatened to shoot me.

The mayor was holding a press conference to discuss what the city was doing to prepare for the Supreme Court’s expected decision to overturn the city’s gun ban. The short answer: all sorts of things, but we’ll just have to wait until the court weighs in next month to find out the details. “We’re hoping for the best,” Daley said.

Guns are one of the mayor’s favorite soapbox topics—he regularly goes out of his way to point out that he despises gun manufacturers and “extremists” like the NRA. “It’s really amazing how powerful they are,” he said today, standing next to a table covered with handguns, rifles, and even a machine gun that police had seized. “They’re bigger than the oil industry, bigger than the gas industry, bigger than Google, bigger than President Obama and the rest of them."

Daley also likes to highlight what he considers to be flagrant hypocrisy on the part of the defenders of gun rights. “Now you can’t walk into the Supreme Court—you have to walk in the side way. They’re going to barricade the doors or something now. I mean, they’re barricading the doors but they’re saying everyone else should have guns. That’s the thing that bothers me in Washington. As you know in Washington all things are being barricaded, all federal buildings. But they’re saying everybody else should be able to carry guns.”

But even supporters of tough gun regulations—myself included—have to admit that it's not clear how much they reduce violence. Despite having some of the most restrictive laws in the country, Chicago is a national leader in shootings and murders, and the mayor himself noted that “we’ve seen far too many instances in the last few weeks” of firearm violence, including the shooting that left a cop dead last night.

So I asked: since guns are readily available in Chicago even with a ban in place, do you really think it’s been effective?

I’m hardly the only guy who asks the mayor things he doesn’t want to answer, and I’ve been responsible for at least one of his huffing, puffing, ranting tangents, which generally get the press corps laughing, thus enabling him to move on to the next question without giving a real answer to the one at hand.

But even by those standards, this was a masterful and surreal performance.

“Oh!” Daley said. “It’s been very effective!”

He grabbed a rifle, held it up, and looked right at me. He was chuckling but there was no smile.

“If I put this up your—ha!—your butt—ha ha!—you’ll find out how effective this is!”

For a moment the room was very, very quiet. I took a good look at the weapon. It had a long bayonet. (Was it seized during the Civil War?)

“If I put a round up your—ha ha!”

The photographers snapped away. Suddenly everybody started cracking up.

Daley went on. “This gun saved many lives—it could save your life,” he said—meaning, I think, that getting that gun off the street might have saved many lives, including mine.

And he went on some more. “We save all these guns that the police department seizes, you know how many lives we’ve saved? You don’t realize it. First of all, they’re taking these guns out of someone’s hands. They save their own life and they save someone else’s. You cannot count how many times this gun can be used. Thirty, forty times in shooting people and discharging a weapon. I think it’s very important.

“Next will be hand grenades, right? We’ll say that hand grenades are OK. I mean, how far can you go in regards to mass weapons? To me, any gun taken off saves thousands of lives in America. I really believe that, I don’t care what people tell me. You have to thank the police officers for seizing all these weapons. We lead the country in seizing weapons. This is unbelievable.”

I had to agree.
    Last edited by Katana; May 26th, 2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Didn't realize the same story was already running elsewhere on here
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

That didn't take too long.

Is Chicago's Mayor Daley guilty of 'terroristic threats'?

In a Thursday press conference, Mayor Daley responded to a question about the effectiveness of Chicago's ultra-restrictive gun laws in a rather alarming fashion.
    "It's been very effective," Daley said, picking up a gun from the dozens displayed on a nearby table. "If I put this up your butt, you'll find out how effective it is. Let me put a round up your, you know."
    The gun Daley had picked up, I should add, was a rifle with a long bayonet--easily capable, in other words, of doing fatal damage even without being fired.* A good John Kass column about this press conference, with video of the "up your butt" remark, can be seen here).
    The reporter was not the only one who should perhaps be concerned about what the good mayor said at that press convference--Daley also seems to have some rather ominous wishes for members of the Supreme Court.
    "You have to have confidence in the Supreme Court, Maybe they'll see the light of day," Daley said at a City Hall news conference. "Maybe one of them will have an incident and they'll change their mind overnight, going to and from work."
    The idea, evidently, is that perhaps a Supreme Court justice who had been planning to rule against Chicago's handgun ban in McDonald v. Chicago would become a victim of "gun violence" (but survive), and thus magically converted, would now share Daley's vision of mandated defenselessness.
    In some jurisdictions, these remarks could probably be interpreted as thinly veiled "terroristic threats."* Daley, in fact, in expressing "regret" for his remarks, actually acknowledged his intention of sowing fear.
    “I want to shock you, maybe scare you to realize, this is serious. This is not a playbook. This happens in America every day. And we should be outraged. We should be shocked,” Daley said.
    The reporter who's, um . . . butt was on the line, so to speak,* is Mick Dumke, and his own account of that press conference is probably worth a read.* He points out something else Daley said, that I find quite interesting:
    You have to thank the police officers for seizing all these weapons. We lead the country in seizing weapons.
    You "lead the country" in gun seizures, Mayor? Good for you, but guess what else you tend to "lead" it in, to the extent that hospitals can't keep enough blood on hand, some state legislators have proposed a military occupation to restore order, and the top police officer wants to invent a new category of murder, to make things look better..*
    At risk of prompting an offer of a bayonet up my backside, I have to ask: "How's that seizy, gunny thing workin' out for ya'?"
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I really believe that, I don’t care what people tell me.
    And that's the problem..

One must ponder, what else does he not care about that people tell him?

VIP Member
    His Dishonor, the mayor should try walking the streets of Chicago without his contingent of armed security personnel for a few nights.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What edge I don't think he saw it as a baby. I am so glad that I left that state back in 74. I would never go back except for family that still live there.

Daley went off the deep end when he was about 5 yrs old and has never returned anywhere remotely close to normalcy since then.

What I can't figure out is how he got elected , and then folks in Chicago claim innocence about it.

Did he threaten the members of the Supreme Court?

Daley also seems to have some rather ominous wishes for members of the Supreme Court.

"You have to have confidence in the Supreme Court, Maybe they'll see the light of day," Daley said at a City Hall news conference. "Maybe one of them will have an incident and they'll change their mind overnight, going to and from work."
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Mayor Daley Threatens to Shoot the Messenger—Namely, Me | The Blog | Chicago Reader

Edit- Sorry, I missed this story the first time it was brought up here. Mods, feel free to delete this post.

This is the blog of the journalist "King" Daley pointed a rifle at during a press conference. Read it and ask yourself if this man's mind hasn't completely cracked.

During the press conference he pointed a rifle with a bayonet at this reporter, and also wished violence would fall on a supreme court justice during McDonald vs. Chicago. That part is not included in this link, but I'll hunt down a credible link to post that part in a reply.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed the subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty." -- Adolf Hitler (H.R. Trevor-Roper, Hitler's Table Talks 1941-1944)
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Daley went off the deep end some time ago. I'd love to get rid of him, but the idiot voters in Chicago keep asking him back. Actually, I kind of get a kick out of watching the veins pop out in his neck when he really starts sputtering. I think the media and the public are starting to realize that he's really quite irrational when it comes to guns.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Like his father before him, King Richard II's vocabulary is too full of de's, do's, dems and dah's. He probably took a few too many hits to the head when he was growing up. He's just another example of an egotistical politico type who doesn't care what the people, those he is supposedly working for, think. Maybe this November all politicians everywhere will get the message that it's all about what the people think!

Links