Cop's Murder Has Some Thinking Of Carrying A Gun

This is a discussion on Cop's Murder Has Some Thinking Of Carrying A Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chicago Police Officer's Murder Has Some Chatham Residents Thinking Of Carrying A Gun - cbs2chicago.com Cop's Murder Has Some Thinking Of Carrying A Gun Some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cop's Murder Has Some Thinking Of Carrying A Gun

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Chicago Police Officer's Murder Has Some Chatham Residents Thinking Of Carrying A Gun - cbs2chicago.com

Some Gun Control Supporters Now Thinking Of Breaking City's Handgun Ban
    Reporting
    Jim Williams CHICAGO (CBS) ―

They are law-abiding citizens in Chicago, but they are so worried about their own safety, they say they might have to break the law.

The last straw was the death of Chicago Police officer Thomas Wortham IV last week.

That has some African-American families in Chicago considering doing something they never would have done before: carry a pistol.

CBS 2's Jim Williams reports he grew up among those families and he's never anything like it.

Many Chicagoans have been upset for some time about violence here, but Wortham's murder has touched a raw nerve in the black community.

Now some want to do more than simply call 911 or march for peace in the streets. They want their own gun.

Mike Robinson, who runs basketball camps, is hearing it.

"I've heard parents in my basketball camps express that very fervently, just over the weekend, that they want the right to protect themselves," Robinson said.

Estella Jernigan, works at a seniors center in Chatham, talked to an older man here who's taking a job for one reason.

"He said he was going to apply for a security guard so he would be armed." Jernigan said. "So he could carry a gun."

South Side resident and local school council member Shawn Gowder said, "I'm hearing that all over town - South Side, West Side."

Gowder, who said his mother had always been in favor of gun control, has now changed her mind.

"My mother, who is in 60s, now feels she needs to have a gun and she needs to take lessons so that she will be qualified in case somebody kicks in her door," said Gowder.

In middle class black neighborhoods like Chatham, people have voted overwhelmingly for Democratic politicians who have overwhelmingly supported gun control.

But now many are scared and angry over the killing of Officer Wortham, late Wednesday night in Chatham.

"I would say the most recent incident here in Chatham has such a profound impact on people's consciousness about violence, about crime in the streets, that people who would not normally want to own a gun, are considering that," said Robinson.

In that neighborhood, many residents have told CS 2 News off camera that they are willing to begin carrying a gun to protect themselves, even if it means breaking the ban on handguns.

Coy Pugh, a former state representative and lobbyist for the Illinois Rifle Association, said he knows why even law-abiding citizens might arm themselves.

"In the community that I grew up in, they say it's better for the police to catch me with it than the robber to catch me without it," said Pugh.

And that concerns people like Linda Williams, who believes more guns in the community will make matter worse.

"All the other industrialized nations do not have the gun laws that we have and they don't have nearly the amount of killing and injury we do," she said. "So, no, I don't believe that more guns is better."

Those in favor of gun control point out that even though Wortham had a weapon and so did his father, a retired police sergeant, the young officer still ended up shot and killed.

But those on the other side of the argument believe criminals are less likely to approach someone in the first place, or break into a home, if they think the would-be victim might be carrying a gun.

Meantime, the U.S Supreme Court is expected to rule by the end of June on whether Chicago's handgun ban is constitutional. It is widely expected the court will strike down the city's ban, given the court struck down a similar ban in Washington, D.C., in 2008.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Imagine that.

Hey people...YOU elected Daley...YOU keep electing him....YOU elected your Aldermen....YOU elected your state senators and representatives....THEY are the ones who took away your rights....THEY are the ones who keep telling you lies about "the police are there to protect you"....and you were dumb enough to believe them.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

it takes the loss of life to spark the fight for rights we should already have...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I am a minority who grew up in an inner urban center.

I've lived this first hand.
    It takes something like this to change a persons view and mindset, never mind that of a community and voting bloc.

I grew up literally my entire life hearing this statement and advice from folk and family in DC & MD (Prince Georges County);

"...It's better for the police to catch me with it than the [streets] to catch me without it."

Not saying that breaking the law is right, or moral.
    But I am saying survival is job one and that it takes times such as this for folk to learn lessons and understand.

In DC and PG County it took Rayful Edmond and the regional drug wars he started & financed of the late 80s and early 90s for folk to see things differently....As on the streets.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Hey people...YOU elected Daley...YOU keep electing him....YOU elected your Aldermen....YOU elected your state senators and representatives....THEY are the ones who took away your rights....THEY are the ones who keep telling you lies about "the police are there to protect you"....and you were dumb enough to believe them.
    I think all the dead people in Chicago keep electing him.

Maybe things will start to change next election? Let's hope so!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wouldn't it be nice if most of the Democrats rethink their side and vote with us to protect America from those who want to enslave us?
    They can only enslave us if we cannot fight to stop them.

An Armed Society is a Polite Society.
    After all, Unarmed citizens are subjects.

Stand with Us and Make America a safe place again!

"In the community that I grew up in, they say it's better for the police to catch me with it than the robber to catch me without it," said Pugh.

Yep! It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. (Wasn't it Bobby Seals, the Black Panther, who said that?)

For me it's common sense. Life involves the possibility of armed assault, so you better be armed and be able to defend yourself.
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Why do our governing bodies feel the need to legislate our self defense? They can't be trusted to defend all citizens because it is an impossibility. People like Linda Williams (see quote below) still believe that if guns are gone there will be no gun crime. If gun weilding punks ever were to attack her or her family, we'd see a different viewpoint from her for sure. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference if the victim was armed, but most of the time, it does.

And that concerns people like Linda Williams, who believes more guns in the community will make matter worse.

"All the other industrialized nations do not have the gun laws that we have and they don't have nearly the amount of killing and injury we do," she said. "So, no, I don't believe that more guns is better."

Those in favor of gun control point out that even though Wortham had a weapon and so did his father, a retired police sergeant, the young officer still ended up shot and killed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Why do our governing bodies feel the need to legislate our self defense?
    These people have a mind set that is wider than that-they believe they are smarter than the "unwashed masses", ie us, and that they need to protect us from ourselves in every aspect of our lives. The same mindet that wants to control what we eat and drink believes guns are bad and we are just ignorant unenlightened rubes. The more we protest, the more these people feel it proves their point that we cannot be trusted with our own personal responsibility.

End of rant.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

If I lived in a City as violent as Chicago,I would have to do what I needed to protect myself,As Uncle Ted says Self Defense is a God Given Right
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry folks.

No pitty for you.

Keep voting democrat and see how it works out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ^^^UM,,What^^^he^^^said^^^^^^

It behooves me that rational people will keep doing the same dumb things, over and over and expect things to get better.
    But then,Thats the definition of insanity

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

"...his mother had always been in favor of gun control, has now changed her mind."

Funny how a little experience changes one's mind.
    Baaaaaaa, I gotta' get me one of these...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links